Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> L-Jet Dual Relay GB (updated) -RELAYS ARE HERE 5/30/24, See post #29 in this thread.
fiacra
post May 15 2024, 09:53 AM
Post #1

Person.Woman.Man.Camera.TV

Group: Members
Member No.: 22,920
Region Association: Northern California

05/30/2024 - SEE UPDATE in post #29

This was initially posted in the FS/WTB forum as a WTB ad but I think it now more properly belongs in the Garage forum. Those of us with an LJet car with the original FI know that this NLA Bosch relay #0332514120 is a weak point in the system. If it fails, you are dead in the water, and eventually it will fail. At the moment the only sources I have found are AA and one eBay seller. The pre-tax/shipping price from AA is $325 and on Ebay it is $459.99 (unbelievably it appears they have sold a few at that price). It took a fair amount of time exploring the back alleys of the internet but I finally found a source for this Bosch relay using a cross referenced part number. It is a foreign supplier with back stock. Once that is gone they won't have any more. I ordered one just to make sure it was identical, and it is. I'll test it in my car sometime in the next few days, but I see no reason why it won't work (update: tested and working perfectly). I can order enough to pass on if people are interested. If I get a bunch rather than putting them up on eBay for $459.98 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) I should be able to pass them on to fellow members for under $100 shipped in the CONUS. I can get up to 10 (update: managed to get 15), depending upon what is still left. If there is enough interest I'll buy them all, but I don't want to get them if I'm the only person interested. PM or post if you are interested.
This doesn't obligate you. Might be our last chance to get these Bosch relays new. AA does rebuild them for $200, so that is a possibility moving forward.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
StarBear
post May 15 2024, 10:27 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 10,753
Region Association: North East States

Sure; sign me up for one. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
dr914@autoatlanta.com
post May 15 2024, 10:27 AM
Post #3

914 Guru

Member No.: 7,418
Region Association: None

we are repairing these now as they are no longer available, and we use the three new ones we have in stock as comparisons

QUOTE(fiacra @ May 15 2024, 08:53 AM) *

This was initially posted in the FS/WTB forum as a WTB ad but I think it now more properly belongs in the Garage forum. Those of us with an LJet car with the original FI know that this NLA Bosch relay #0332514120 is a weak point in the system. If it fails, you are dead in the water, and eventually it will fail. At the moment the only sources I have found are AA and one eBay seller. The pre-tax/shipping price from AA is $325 and on Ebay it is $459.99 (unbelievably it appears they have sold a few at that price). It took a fair amount of time exploring the back alleys of the internet but I finally found a source for this Bosch relay using a cross referenced part number. It is a foreign supplier with back stock. Once that is gone they won't have any more. I ordered one just to make sure it was identical, and it is. I'll test it in my car sometime in the next few days, but I see no reason why it won't work. I can order enough to pass on if people are interested. If I get a bunch rather than putting them up on eBay for $459.98 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) I should be able to pass them on to fellow members for under $100 shipped in the CONUS. I can get up to 10, depending upon what is still left. If there is enough interest I'll buy them all, but I don't want to get them if I'm the only person interested. PM or post if you are interested.
This doesn't obligate you. Might be our last chance to get these Bosch relays new. AA does rebuild them for $200, so that is a possibility moving forward.

+Quote Post
fiacra
post May 15 2024, 11:04 AM
Post #4

QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ May 15 2024, 09:27 AM) *

we are repairing these now as they are no longer available, and we use the three new ones we have in stock as comparisons

QUOTE(fiacra @ May 15 2024, 08:53 AM) *

This was initially posted in the FS/WTB forum as a WTB ad but I think it now more properly belongs in the Garage forum. Those of us with an LJet car with the original FI know that this NLA Bosch relay #0332514120 is a weak point in the system. If it fails, you are dead in the water, and eventually it will fail. At the moment the only sources I have found are AA and one eBay seller. The pre-tax/shipping price from AA is $325 and on Ebay it is $459.99 (unbelievably it appears they have sold a few at that price). It took a fair amount of time exploring the back alleys of the internet but I finally found a source for this Bosch relay using a cross referenced part number. It is a foreign supplier with back stock. Once that is gone they won't have any more. I ordered one just to make sure it was identical, and it is. I'll test it in my car sometime in the next few days, but I see no reason why it won't work. I can order enough to pass on if people are interested. If I get a bunch rather than putting them up on eBay for $459.98 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) I should be able to pass them on to fellow members for under $100 shipped in the CONUS. I can get up to 10, depending upon what is still left. If there is enough interest I'll buy them all, but I don't want to get them if I'm the only person interested. PM or post if you are interested.

@dr914

Yup, I took pains to point this out as I do believe this is a valuable service. Thank you for doing that!
+Quote Post
bdstone914
post May 15 2024, 12:58 PM
Post #5

bdstone914

Member No.: 1,319

@fiacra

I will take two. Let me know if you need money up front.

Bruce
+Quote Post
Mikey914
post May 15 2024, 02:21 PM
Post #6

The rubber man

Member No.: 3,348

Just curious, I had looked into making these, but thought they were still availoable. Am I missing something?
https://www.pelicanparts.com/More_Info/0332...332-514-120-INT
+Quote Post
fiacra
post May 15 2024, 03:17 PM
Post #7

QUOTE(Mikey914 @ May 15 2024, 01:21 PM) *

Just curious, I had looked into making these, but thought they were still availoable. Am I missing something?

@mikey914 Out of stock at Pelican and have been for a while. Try adding it to your cart and you will get the out of stock message. They fooled me at first as well. I'd love it if you decided to make these! There certainly is a market as they are used not only for the 914 but also for the 912E, the 240Z, and many other cars. What price point can you come in at?
+Quote Post
wonkipop
post May 15 2024, 04:49 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 24,231
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

QUOTE(Mikey914 @ May 15 2024, 02:21 PM) *

extinct like t-rex.

@fiacra i'd take one from you. and pay the extra shipping cost to get it here.
its been on my mind that i do not have one of these as a spare.

i imagine the ones you have located are similar to the black plastic ones that replaced the earlier metal ones along the way. i already replaced my original dual relay back in 1989 and its all now set up with the black plastic one.
+Quote Post
technicalninja
post May 15 2024, 04:59 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 27,135
Region Association: Southwest Region

Add me to the list for one please.
+Quote Post
Geezer914
post May 15 2024, 06:21 PM
Post #10

Geezer914

Member No.: 10,179

Put me down for one! Thanks
+Quote Post
75914-L20C
post May 15 2024, 07:42 PM
Post #11

It isn't what you drive, but how you drive that counts.

Member No.: 5,204
Region Association: Upper MidWest

I'm interested in one.
+Quote Post
Mikey914
post May 15 2024, 10:18 PM
Post #12

The rubber man

Depending on quantity produced somewhere between $38 and $48. Possibly less, but I'll start to flush this out more to get hard numbers.
Mark
+Quote Post
bdstone914
post May 16 2024, 02:36 AM
Post #13

bdstone914

Member No.: 1,319

QUOTE(Mikey914 @ May 15 2024, 09:18 PM) *

Depending on quantity produced somewhere between $38 and $48. Possibly less, but I'll start to flush this out more to get hard numbers.
Mark

Pelican has a lot of items in there catalig that are not available.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
sportlicherFahrer
post May 16 2024, 06:50 AM
Post #14

Nothing to see here.

Member No.: 3,945
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

In for one as well.
+Quote Post
RRietman
post May 16 2024, 08:03 AM
Post #15

Member No.: 11,124

QUOTE(sportlicherFahrer @ May 16 2024, 05:50 AM) *

In for one as well.

I'm in for one as well.
Thanks
Randy
+Quote Post
MartyYeoman
post May 16 2024, 12:38 PM
Post #16

Member No.: 839

Sign me up for one.
Thanks, Marty
+Quote Post
fiacra
post May 16 2024, 06:51 PM
Post #17

There were a lot more people interested than I thought would be. I also have a few other people with FI VW's who want one, so a total of 14 relays so far. I was able to order 15 today, but that is probably all I can get. If there is anyone else that wants one please put your name in the hat now. You never know if someone might drop out. So far from 914World I have:

@StarBear
@bdstone914 (two relays)
@wonkipop
@technicalninja
@Geezer914
@75914-L20C
@sportlicherFahrer
@RRietman
@MartyYeoman
@Artfrombama

I recognize that some people may not follow through, but I don't see any way of avoiding that risk other than asking for payment in advance. When it comes down to it I'd rather lose my money than yours. There is no easier way to make enemies. Worst case scenario I'm out some money and I have plenty of relays so I'll have to buy more cars so that I can put them to use (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) . The other risk of course is that 914rubber starts to make them and it seems that Mark believes his price point is going to be under $50. At this point is is up to you folks to see if you want to wait for that, or whether a "bird in the hand" is better than waiting to see if and when Mark follows through.

Today I had some time to pull the working relay off my 1975 914 1.8 and put on the new Bosch relay to make sure it works (it did). I didn't expect any problems, but it also didn't hurt to make sure. Be aware that when you disconnect the wiring some of these 50 year old connectors may not like the small amount of twisting force they get exposed to. Two of mine broke instantly. I suppose it is better that they failed now than when I was on the road. These Bosch black plastic relays superseded the original VW metal ones a long time ago and you will have to modify the relay casing so that the plugs will fit back on. I'll post pictures at some point, but you can use your current relay as a guide as it is very likely you already have a plastic one. If not, you can use my pictures as a guide. It took me about three minutes with a dremel to trim the case.

The order will take a few weeks to get here. I'll let everyone know when they arrive.
+Quote Post
StarBear
post May 16 2024, 07:03 PM
Post #18

Member No.: 10,753

Yay! Yes, I have the black plastic one in there now.
+Quote Post
technicalninja
post May 16 2024, 07:44 PM
Post #19

Member No.: 27,135
Region Association: Southwest Region

"Bird in hand" here.

PM sent with my info.

I have no problem with pre-payment.

Thanks for finding these fiacra! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

And for those of you who are "on the fence".

I'm POSITIVE I can wire two relays to "skin this cat".

I DON"T have to have this. I can overcome.

Having it in a single form with the word Bosch on it is worth $100 to me.

I'm sure that if I didn't buy one now, I'll regret is down the road.

I probably should buy two... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ninja.gif)
+Quote Post
Mikey914
post May 16 2024, 09:02 PM
Post #20

The rubber man

I have aquired a suitable sample and starting the process now. More to follow in a few days.
Mark
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st June 2024 - 06:34 AM