Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> 914World Classifieds Rules

We've established the following rules to help make your sales/purchases as successful as possible!
- Please List WTB:, FS:, TRADE: etc (want to buy, for sale, and trade respectively) before your add title.
- You *must* put a price in your ad and state how you would like payment!
- If you'd like to bump your ads, feel free to do so every two days.
- DO NOT MAKE YOUR ADS IN ALL CAPITAL LETTERS! It's considered rude.
- All eBay ads belong in the eBay category.
- Please consolidate your ads into one big lump... listings and pictures together in one thread. Please be considerate of other classified users!!
- Mark your items "SOLD" once you sell them. Please do not ask to have ads removed. Ads will automatically hide themselves after 30 days. We also ask that you leave your pricing in the ads to help others determine fair market value for future sales.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> WTB: trunk release for reflector
thomasotten
post May 15 2024, 10:15 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,349

I am looking for one of those cable release for the rear trunk reflector that was commonly put on these cars in the 80s. I would prefer the mechanical release type, but will consider a good working solenoid also.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
rjames
post May 15 2024, 11:05 AM
Post #2

I'm made of metal

Member No.: 4,467
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Engman used to make one, but no longer.
Some drill a small hole in the trunk floor and just run a cable (bike brake cable works) that you can pull from under the car, or you can rig it to terminate in the engine bay.

Assuming you have a reflector, if you go with the solenoid it'll fail at some point so you'll want to have a cable as a backup.
If you're thinking of installing a reflector, don't!
+Quote Post
fiacra
post May 15 2024, 12:13 PM
Post #3

Person.Woman.Man.Camera.TV

Member No.: 22,920
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(rjames @ May 15 2024, 10:05 AM) *

Engman used to make one, but no longer.
Some drill a small hole in the trunk floor and just run a cable (bike brake cable works) that you can pull from under the car, or you can rig it to terminate in the engine bay.

Assuming you have a reflector, if you go with the solenoid it'll fail at some point so you'll want to have a cable as a backup.
If you're thinking of installing a reflector, don't!

Clearly a personal choice about whether or not you want a reflector. I know some people consider them heresy, but honestly anything that increases visibility is worth doing. This can be reversible if you don't drill holes for the reflector but instead use double sided tape to hold it in place. Having a cable release is not a bad idea, but for my past car (which came with the reflector on it) there was a very small hardly visible hole drilled in the reflector that allowed me to use a stiff piece of wire (like coat hanger wire, only thinner) to release the latch. I think that was a better solution than drilling a hole for a cable. You can also retain the original latch/lock mechanism by simply drilling an appropriately sized hole for it. That's what I would do, but it is your car so do what works best for you (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
Front yard mechanic
post May 15 2024, 08:41 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 18,984
Region Association: None

I think I have an electric one . Ill test it and see if its worthy give me a day or two. I also have an old style reflector the ones that are the not cut down version.
+Quote Post
Txbentleyboy
post May 16 2024, 11:03 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 20,498
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Following.
+Quote Post
thomasotten
post May 16 2024, 06:04 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 1,349

I’m not pro-reflector. I’ve offered to weld up the holes and remove the thing. But the owner has a reflector where someone drilled a hole where the button goes. So finding a mechanical release cable would be an improvement.
+Quote Post
scallyk9
post May 16 2024, 09:59 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 20,499
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(thomasotten @ May 16 2024, 05:04 PM) *

I’m not pro-reflector. I’ve offered to weld up the holes and remove the thing. But the owner has a reflector where someone drilled a hole where the button goes. So finding a mechanical release cable would be an improvement.

Actually, the hole is the best way to add a reflector in terms of function . I had one like that and it worked fine for many years until I decided to restore the car to stock, had it been sold in Germany in ROW trim.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st June 2024 - 06:47 AM