Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Stock 1.7 or something bigger?, What would you like?
koozy
post May 15 2024, 01:09 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,931
Region Association: None

I have a stock 1.7 I just disassembled. Nice early case, the heads look fantastic, etc...

Anyone need a stock 1.7 built or 1.7 big bore? My buddy Ken at Jansen Enterprise (well known engine builder and machinist) will be doing the actual build so let me know if you have any needs. I'm a long time 914 guy and autocrosser. I don't want this stuff to go to waste so I am just putting it out there towards a build if someone needs it. It can make your build a heck of a lot cheaper so let me know if you need an engine built right now. I'll hook you up. Stock 1.7 or big bore will be cheapest because these heads look fantastic but if ya wanna use this early case and have him build a 2.6 that will rip your ears off he can do that too. Lol

He just does air cooled stuff (VW/Porsche) and has built many podium finishing cars/engines. Super cool guy and really nice builds.

So, what would you make out of this stock 1.7 long block if you needed an engine???

Kooz - grumpy old man

My current ride is this beast. A very angry twin-plug 2.7 at 12.5 to 1 comprehension. Yep, Kenny built this monster engine

Attached Image

https://youtu.be/ATnHsUh6wgw?si=NETYO9qGX9u88Tiu
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
fiacra
post May 15 2024, 01:40 PM
Post #2

Person.Woman.Man.Camera.TV

Member No.: 22,920
Region Association: Northern California

A generous offer from a great guy. I used to own one of Mike's (koozy) previous cars and he was generous with his time both with answering questions and filling in gaps in the history of the car. Ken Jansen is well known in this area as a top notch engine builder. I have seen some of his builds and they are impressive. Ken has a small, busy shop and if Mike has an "in" to get an engine built by Ken someone should take advantage of this. If I needed an engine I'd jump on it. Ken has been recommended to me by multiple sources within the VW and Porsche communities.

Thanks again Mike for giving back to the community. And, your current car is impressive (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post May 15 2024, 02:09 PM
Post #3

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

While i'm a bit biased these days when it comes to displacement i still fondly remember driving my stock 1.7L.

You can get into a surprisingly large amount of trouble with a tired old 1.7L ...
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cheer.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/w00t.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)
+Quote Post
Chris914n6
post May 15 2024, 02:19 PM
Post #4

Jackstands are my life.

Member No.: 431
Region Association: Southwest Region

QUOTE(SirAndy @ May 15 2024, 01:09 PM) *

While i'm a bit biased these days when it comes to displacement i still fondly remember driving my stock 1.7L.

You can get into a surprisingly large amount of trouble with a tired old 1.7L ...
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cheer.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/w00t.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)

Mostly blocking traffic and getting rear ended

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif)
+Quote Post
koozy
post May 15 2024, 02:27 PM
Post #5

@Andy - Ain't that the truth!!! Lol
+Quote Post
koozy
post May 15 2024, 07:32 PM
Post #6

QUOTE(fiacra @ May 15 2024, 12:40 PM) *

A generous offer from a great guy. I used to own one of Mike's (koozy) previous cars and he was generous with his time both with answering questions and filling in gaps in the history of the car. Ken Jansen is well known in this area as a top notch engine builder. I have seen some of his builds and they are impressive. Ken has a small, busy shop and if Mike has an "in" to get an engine built by Ken someone should take advantage of this. If I needed an engine I'd jump on it. Ken has been recommended to me by multiple sources within the VW and Porsche communities.

Thanks again Mike for giving back to the community. And, your current car is impressive (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

Thanks, Bro. I appreciate it. Looking forward to seeing your new ride
+Quote Post
bkrantz
post May 15 2024, 08:00 PM
Post #7

914 Guru

Member No.: 23,343
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE(SirAndy @ May 15 2024, 02:09 PM) *

Yep, a small, light car with a, um, modest engine can be driven flat-out on the street and (almost) not attract attention.
+Quote Post
B3owulf
post May 15 2024, 08:22 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 25,879
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Your car looks like a monster at the autocross! Man that looks fun.

+Quote Post
windforfun
post May 15 2024, 08:27 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 8,476

What do you mean by flat-out? My 1.7 hits 105 mph & quite quickly. It's about power-to-weight ratio. The 914 was never made for corpulent people. RADAR is everywhere around here.
+Quote Post
Superhawk996
post May 16 2024, 05:37 AM
Post #10

914 Guru

Member No.: 22,428
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

Duplicate
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Superhawk996
post May 16 2024, 05:38 AM
Post #11

914 Guru

Member No.: 22,428
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

QUOTE(windforfun @ May 15 2024, 10:27 PM) *

What do you mean by flat-out? My 1.7 hits 105 mph & quite quickly. It's about power-to-weight ratio. The 914 was never made for corpulent people. RADAR is everywhere around here.

You might be the 1st person ever to say a 1.7L gets to 100 mph quickly. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

My original teener started life as a 1.7L. I had a coworker that was north of 300 lbs. whenever I gave him a ride anywhere the decrease in acceleration was simply painful. As stated, it’s all about power to weight ratio.

Having said that, I really enjoyed that car with the 1.7L and did have plenty of conversations with the law. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/busted_cop.gif)

A 914 is about the lateral G’s, not the longitudinal. Want massive longitudinal G’s? A motorcycle or an EV will feed that need.

Attached Image
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
bkrantz
post May 16 2024, 07:56 PM
Post #12

914 Guru

Member No.: 23,343
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

I guess 60 seconds to reach 105 mpg could be "quite quickly".
+Quote Post
914_Tcup
post May 16 2024, 08:44 PM
Post #13

Member No.: 27,754
Region Association: Southwest Region

QUOTE(bkrantz @ May 16 2024, 08:56 PM) *

I guess 60 seconds to reach 105 mpg could be "quite quickly".

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)
+Quote Post
windforfun
post May 16 2024, 08:57 PM
Post #14

Member No.: 8,476

I wish my car could get 105 mpg. It does hit 105 mph however. Time is relative & the more you accelerate the slower your relative time. Your clock slows down relative to those around you who aren't moving.

http://thescienceexplorer.com/universe/how...l-time-dilation

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer3.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer3.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer3.gif)
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st June 2024 - 07:43 AM