I wanted to see the interest here for having Len(HAM) build them up with his specs and quality.
These are the heads:
There is a discussion about them here:
This is Len's review of them:
This is what Len has said:
"If World members can get up a group buy of a minimum of 3 pairs by the end of the year, I'll do them turn key for 1275.00/pair.
That includes all machine work and all the same parts that go into my RS+ heads: Manley valves, Crower springs, chromoly retainers, ground keepers, guides, and seats. - the best parts available for T4 heads.
Add 240.00 to ceramic coat the chambers, exhaust ports and valve tops.
The non-group buy cost is 1400.00/pair."
So I will most likely be getting a pair since I have a dropped valve on my current heads. Unless by some chance I can find a reputable machinist to rework my heads and they can actually be reworked. The cost of doing so might be more than buying these new. Anyway I have a question out to Len about the turn around time. I will also ask him about the 15% discount AApistons offers on their heads if you add them via FB. Maybe he can already get them at a discount.
So we would only need 2 more World members to place an order to get them $125 off. Does this price seem workable? I don't have much knowledge on the going rate for refurbished heads. The only price I have to go off on is the RS+ heads that Len uses AMC castings are $3200. So this is about a third to have all the same work on these AA castings.
In order to get on the list you must contact Len (firstname.lastname@example.org). You will need to send him your mailing address so he can calculate shipping. He will also take a check or money order. You will send it to him and he will not deposit it until the heads are available from AA. This looks to be somewhere around mid December. As soon as you send the payment it locks your spot in line.
I'm on the fence today....
How long do we have to make a decision?
I had a set of 1.8 heads redone recently by and "average" shop that still does old heads.
They are getting harder to find.
For Len's work and new castings and this being the most critical part of a type IV, a great deal.
Let me know how long we have until a decision, I've got a tax payment to make.
Put me down for a set on the deal.
Anyone interested in getting in on the group buy needs to e-mail me at email@example.com
I'm willing to discuss limited options such as an upgrade in valve sizes to 44x38 as well as an upgrade to dual valve springs and HD rocker studs.
The only other options I'm willing to undertake with this order is chamber coatings and exterior heat shedding coating (the black coating).
There will be no additional discounts as I arrived at this price based on a labor study and parts cost based on my companies volume buying power.
I want to make sure that everyone understands that I am not placing any warranty on the castings themselves, just my workmanship.
I won't rehash my impressions of the castings here other than to say that I would rather take my chances with the AA's than 40+ Y.O. O.E. heads that have been heat-cycled to death, especially since it's gotten nearly impossible to find any that haven't already been worked on by another shop.
And I want to point out that though these heads will be built with the same quality parts that go into our higher priced RS+ heads, these casting are not even close to having the rigidity that those castings have.
For more info regarding my impressions of the AA heads take a look at this article on my web/blog site.
I'd be in for a pair.
I will be sending you a email.
for what seems like a really good deal to me. Not even in the market and tempted to jump on this. I never know when the need may arise. Hate for anybody to miss out.
I'm tempted to do this as well. I just don't need ANOTHER project in flight right now....
Len said he was waiting to make sure that all the parts were available before he will start project. He said the second batch of heads are due in by the end of the year. He will start taking checks ONLY for the full amount.
I am interested.
Len I will send you an email.
Emailed Len today. He said we have 3 commits so this is a thing. Rgolia - you were probably the third. I'm excited to have these heads going on my new rebuilt long block.
Hi everybody. I'm pleased to announce that we've met the minimum number of orders (3) to justify the GB.
At this time, due to extremely heavy demand for our services, which already has us booked well into the new year, I am going to put a limit of 5 pairs on this group buy.
The deadline to get in on this GB is 12-31-17. The first five in line will received an e-mail after the 1st letting them know they made the cut-off.
Remember, to get in line you need to send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org
If more than 5 folkks apply, if anyone bows out the next in line will move up to fill the vacated spot.
I appreciate the interest in this GB. I'm happy that I can contribute to the community in a meaningful way.
I got my email reservation in to try these heads. I'm planning on building a 2.0 or maybe a 2056. No competition, just another fun runner and cross country driver. Len rebuilt a pair of stock 2.0 heads from my '76 that have run cool and strong for 40k miles. I figure these should do well.
I am very interested in a set of these heads....Im building a 2.0 FI for my 73 914..
Len is contacting buyers about deposit checks today. He has a head from the new batch and they are beefier and better made according to him.
Are 'bare' heads available?
Oh so tempting, hard to justify with the wife. Maybe if my current heads I am cleaning up have an "accident" on my mill I could just say those are irreparable
AA pistons is expecting the shipment of new heads in Feb.
Got a email from Len this afternoon. Heads are in port. Will be available for sale 2-16-18. Len will be contacting you for how you want your heads.
Powered by Invision Power Board (http://www.invisionboard.com)
© Invision Power Services (http://www.invisionpower.com)