Just received the box with the liners. Instead of the stated “clips” for mounting they came with rivets. Clips suggest clipping the liners to the fenders or other attachment points rivets on the other hand... Am a bit hesitant to start drilling holes in my original sheet metal. No instructions were provided either.
Any one done this or have suggestions of the least invasive way they mounted these not using “clips”?
Thanks Cary. That makes total sense. Still have everything in the shipping box since I just got back to town tonight.
Don’t think quick some instructions would be too much to ask but this is pretty much a DIY site.
Matt and I talked about it one night while putting his car together. But then we got busy.
Maybe I'll grab a set and install them on Doug's car for a demo. Black on primer should show up pretty well. Plus being on the rotisserie we'd be able get some great angles.
914rubber (and other member vendors) shouldn't have to included written instructions, but I'd suggest a web link addy to a how to thread here might be a good idea.
We are actually taking more steps to document installations and provide more instruction.
I totally get it. Cary has also been working with us to document some if the items.
It's part of the transition to adding more infer structure and allow us to help you.
Let me know if you need any more info, but looks like Cary is gonna drop you the short version. We will finalize them shortly.
Crash Course : The wide one goes it the back.
Step one, attach the mounts. The front I had the liner flush with the fender lip. The rear I had back up tight against the inner fender.
Now flex the liner into place.
Then bow the liner behind the mount to allow you to drill the 1/8" holes.
Pretty simple. Drill the holes and rivet it in. Keep an eye on the location of the liner in the arch. It wants to slide up, and you want to keep it tight and tidy against the fender.
Front fender is more of the same.
These were installed without any trimming or tuning of the liner.
Every 914 needs these. 1. Protects the front fender to cowl joint. 2. Protects the seam sealer behind the door latch plate. 3. Keeps debris from getting slung into the jack point. 4. Most important, keeps debris and moisture getting slung up into the poorly designed joint under the sail panel inside the rear fender.
Cary, guess you better sell me those liners.
Since they're set up for my car.
All boxed up and ready to go .................... LOL
Thanks Cory for all the valuable info. Is this a front or rear? I am guessing it is a front, but where does that little tab on the end go? It seems to interfere wherever it goes. The front of that piece is slightly notched for the fender but the tab is a mystery.
Here is my misguided attempt to try to make the piece which matches the one above fit in the back of the front wheel well. I notched it but it still won’t snug up to the fender.
You can see the issue with that tongue piece.
When flush mounting the liners against the fender lips how can you access the bolts which mount the L brackets when you want to drop a valence or the rocker panel?
When trying to mount the driver rear piece, how did you work around the suspension pieces with the zirk fitting? Seemed to be a lot of interference due to the suspension.
Here is the clearance issue with mounting the rear There just doesn’t seem to be room to fit the liner with the bracket since it hits the suspension. Also how do you get to the zirk with the liner in place?
if the solution is to mount the L bracket on the inside, how do you access the bolt to remove the rocker without drilling out the rivers? I am repainting the rockers and was going to put them on last.
Here's the tab on the left rear. You can see the little tab / tongue right in front of the rear
Thank you sir. Got it completely back-asswards. Much appreciated
Nice job Cary, and those are some great looking liners. Mark
Thanks Cary for detailing this out. We will be doing up a more complete instruction set.
These are really needed to keep crap from winding up in the nooks and crannies. One of the reasons we see so much rust in these areas.
Thanks to Cary, got the drivers side done. While the rockers were off lots of cleaning, rust treatment and painting. There was the usual old can of worms, but very surface tin worms.
One disappointment was was the reason why I bought the liners was to prevent mud and crud from building up behind the rocker by the jack point leading to rust and expensive repairs unless cleaned out religiously. Since I also have oil lines running through the rocker, it was another place to collect mud and rust. So... I decided to fab some lower blocking plates out of a heavy duty plastic. Did the cardboard template and then made the plate which is mounted ahead of the liner.
Doug will have the same issue.
Powered by Invision Power Board (http://www.invisionboard.com)
© Invision Power Services (http://www.invisionpower.com)