I was not going to start thread until the car was home, but it is getting close and I want to share some pictures of the car and the progress.
IMG_2173.mov ( 3.24mb ) Number of downloads: 711
Wow, Its like a mirror! Will you be painting inside the trunks and engine bay as well?
My favorite section of a 914 is the rear deck. The simple line and immense flat area sets it apart from all others. I received this from the painter today and it made my day. He thought it was good. I thought it was crazy good. Some guy named Jeff told me to get it painted in single stage. I hope he approves.
I know the restoration on this car. I can't wait to see the paint in person.
It took me a second to figure out the picture. Quite the reflection.
That reflection in the movie is awesome!
Wow ... looks great, Roger. Now I can see why you desired the nicest trim pieces available to finish it off. Glad to hear the upper windshield trim made the trip OK, and that it met with your expectations. Looking forward to the progression to completion.
your reflections are stunning!!!
The air box is in. I was very apprehensive about getting it back in place and really did not have a plan. I don't read all the post, but I had not seen one that said it was easy.
I had a few starts and stops and a few redos. I seperated box from fan then installed the box. With the box in I didn't have room to attach the control wire.
Start over. Removed air box to allow room to attach control wire. Even with the box removed this was the most difficult task. I had marked the spot where the wire was attached so I knew where it needed to be. With the washers and a tight fit this gave me a fit. I ended up putting in the bolt with the small hole in and then the near washer and used a little super glue to hold them in place. After the nut secured the wire in place I attached the outer rubber cable. With the wire control in place the fan will set flat and there is room to insert air box. It slid up easily and tightened the box in place.
I hooked up electric wire before attaching fan.
Getting the fan bolted to box was a challenge. I had to get some longer 5 mm bolts to align it then hold it in place while I got the short bolts in.
I don't know if valve is supposed to be completely close, but it wont be on this car.
At this position the fan was blowing full and flat was wide open. I don't know if this is perfect , but I don't want to start over.
Finished the dash today. It was another one of the items to do that was completely new to me. Thanks to all 914 world members that have shared information and my wife the project was finished and I was happy with the result.
That paint job is sensational!
Before the air box was installed I replaced the windshield wiper hoses. I used this 356 part which appeared the same as what was in the car.
There was once a thread about how difficult a task was from 1 to 10. Fresh air box ratted a 10, so just getting it working is a major feat. I feel it is the absolute worst task in the car but it needs to be done first upon reassemble.
Really is a pain. Getting the control cable to snap back in underneath caused me to utter, then yell a lot of bad words. I came within one last attempt to remove the hood when it popped into place.
I'd rather remove and install a dash pad.
This rear sail panel trim was cerakoted. I don't know what was original, but it is my understanding that it was supposed painted satin black. Before being redone there was a difference in the shade and texture between the long horizontal bar and the curved vertical pieces and had no idea what had been done previously. I originally thought that I would get it black anodized but this proved impractical. A gun store told me about this new cerakote operation which was only about 25 miles away and they ended up doing it. I just was not sure about paint holding up.
I spent about two hours Saturday trying to clean up the fan housing and got a spot about 3x5 inches looking sorta good. Today I took it to the cerakote place and it took him about 10 seconds to clean a 3x5 spot. They had very nice blasting cabinet and I think he said he was using aluminum oxide. I am using the color that is close to the spot that was blasted clean. It is always a struggle for me between trying to b original and practical. I think this is a case where it will look original but better. It maybe just sales info, but when I asked him about heat, he said that cerakote would not hold heat as powder coating. Hopefully I will have some pictures to share in two weeks.
cerakote is good stuff
Today i connected the defrost vents to the air box valves with those nasty circle clips. I didn't put my eye out, but it was possible. The first one was a front one and it went flying a couple of times when I was using a large needle nose pliers. Probably spent 45 minutes on it.
The last one was the back right clip. It took about 3 minutes. I put the clip in the vise pinched it together and put a quarter inch short extension over the end. Then was able to push it on and pull the extension off. It would have helped if I would have had a extension that I was willing to grind flatter on one side.
I have been very lazy about posting. Here is a picture of the stabilizer that was refurbished by Bruce. It had been parked under the desk to long and now it is where it belongs.
I completed getting the lights in a few weeks ago. When I disassembled the lights I wasn't sure that I would get them back in and pointing in the same direction. It was a matter of turning the lights on and then disconnecting the power. When installing did the same.and then put the parts back together. This was one of those rare instances when it worked the first time.
Insanely beautiful! Every time I open this thread, I can't get over the reflection in that paint.
Powered by Invision Power Board (http://www.invisionboard.com)
© Invision Power Services (http://www.invisionpower.com)