Silicone works much better. It's how we started making parts. Very time consuming but fun.
Dow RTV gr8 stuff
Undercut on the windshield with top off was to much
You need to rig up a vacuum chamber or a pressure pot to out gas all those bubbles.
Tried to do black resin, worked out ok, but I kind of like the clear better. Might experiment with lite tinting, rather than solid colors.
Also, ran out of resin, so ordered 2 gallons, it's gonna be a long winter.
Looks good. I like both the clear and the black. I'll take a 930 in clear if you're selling any...
Can you make some ice cube trays out of those? That would be slick!
Looks like fun - how heavy are they? I wish we had winter in Calif - I was doing yard work in a T shirt today.
So after three tries to make a larger mold for more cars, and three failures I went back to the drawing board. More research showed me an alternative method to making the mold that looked very promising, and a lot less work and mess. It involved DAWN soap and water, pretty simple, right? I tried and it was much easier. I poured resin in the new molds so tomorrow we shall see if the finished result is better. But I now have 11 car molds, so everything from a 917, to a Speedster, to a RSR. One drawback, the new method take all the paint off the little cars in the mold making process. Strange byproduct.
Ok, so lots of trial and error later, more error actually. I've upgraded the mold making twice and am much happier with the latest results, shiny and crisp, without any buffing or sanding. I'll keep working but the process is improving, and I'm still having fun!
If your mold and material is very cold and the pouring area is cold you can have problems. Pre-warm up the molds and material to a nice 80 or 90 degrees or more and it will help. Also, if you have a vacuum chamber for some reason, mix, and then deair the mix for a couple of minutes and pour slowly in the mold. The very small bubbles will come out in the chamber Part of that combo is used for A/C system but the pot can be a modified 3 paint pot.
You can also use a paint pot and set it up for 30lb PSI. The bubbles will get so small that you will not see them but you have to leave the pressure on for a long time to make sure the plastic is hard. If not hard the bubbles will show.
I just put my pressure on the compressor line and leave it overnight and open it up in the AM
Been casting this way for 46 years.
3 Gallon Vacuum Chamber and 3 CFM 1 Stage Pump to Degassing Stainless Steel
Set up is like $100.
Sorry for my mess
Latest batch, new mold, some came out better then others. I'm redoing the mold on 2 of them. Still having fun.
Oh, and a one off batch, my niece Lark wanted blue with purple glitter, I couldn't refuse!
I've started experimenting with color, I got a tip that lite color will help to cover imperfections. This was a little too much color, the batch currently cooking has a lighter coloring. Fun!
So after the mint green batch I had an idea. What would happen if I added one drop of black to the whole batch? Would it be just enough to mask any imperfections. I like the result. And I ordered better resin now that I'm getting my technique down. I've been using industrial grade marine resin, it's cheap! But I ordered some diamond sparkling clear artists resin, so it should only get better from here!
Would love to have one! Please put me on the list -
Count me down for one please!
Joined the line
Looking good so far.
Consider me standing in line too!
We can all chat about 914's together while waiting in queue.
They would make a cool night light.
They look like candy
Now melt some Jolly Ranchers!
Powered by Invision Power Board (http://www.invisionboard.com)
© Invision Power Services (http://www.invisionpower.com)