Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Aftermarket Seats - Anyone Try These, Good Prices
jgara962
post Jan 12 2006, 11:54 AM
Post #1

Yo, this is how I roll

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,879
Region Association: Northern California

http://www.x3racing.com/online.asp

Has anyone bought seats from them? They look pretty good although some of them are kind of ricey, and the prices seem good especially when you consider they are for a pair.

Just wondering if anyone has any experience and if the quality is there (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/dry.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Jan 12 2006, 12:12 PM
Post #2

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172

extremely wide...
They look wrong in a teener, and feel cheesy when you sit in them.

They have no more support than a 914 seat with a cut cushion.

Do a search for "Pep boys seats"

Pretty cool seats if you arnt 6' 2

and if you are.. some fabrication will be needed for mounting....

Andrew
+Quote Post
andys
post Jan 12 2006, 12:27 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 721
Region Association: None

QUOTE (Andyrew @ Jan 12 2006, 10:12 AM)
extremely wide...
They look wrong in a teener, and feel cheesy when you sit in them.

They have no more support than a 914 seat with a cut cushion.

Do a search for "Pep boys seats"

Pretty cool seats if you arnt 6' 2

and if you are.. some fabrication will be needed for mounting....

Andrew

Hey andyrew,

Do you have pic's of your PB seats installed. There were a couple of people on this forum that bought them, but I never saw final installation pic's. How do you like them, BTW?

Andys
+Quote Post
jhadler
post Jan 12 2006, 02:00 PM
Post #4

Long term tinkerer...

Member No.: 529

They're the typical Rice-wear...

They're big, heavy, generally poorly made, and probably way to big to fit in a 914.

They're NOT race seats. They're -rice- seats. They're designed to look racey and give the impression to anyone who doesn't know anything that the car is a "race car". Along with the faux roll bars, the cut springs, the coffee can exhaust tip, and the 18" wheels over the drum brakes that have been painted red...

I've sat in seats like those, and they really don't have much support. Cheaply made.

You want a real race seat? Try Corbeau, or OMP. Both make some very nice race buckets that will only cost a fraction more than the rice seats, but will really hold you where you need to be. Step up from there, and you can get some really nice seats for more than a full set of shocks!

-Josh2
+Quote Post
jgara962
post Jan 12 2006, 02:18 PM
Post #5

Yo, this is how I roll

Member No.: 3,879

Personally, I like the more period-correct seats for the 914 like the Corbeau or GTS. I was just wondering because there are people on this site that do like the style of these seats and I came across the website.
+Quote Post
jhadler
post Jan 12 2006, 02:25 PM
Post #6

Long term tinkerer...

Here's the seats I got for my 914.

Corbeau Forza

-Josh2
+Quote Post
rpmmaxxed
post Jan 12 2006, 03:29 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 4,140
Region Association: Southern California

http://www.hunsakersports.com/shop/item.asp?itemid=194

I just received one of the All black seats that I got off of ebay for $95 shipped new.

Have not installed it yet, but the quality is suprisingly nice, and is a perfect fit for me.

Might be worth a look?
+Quote Post
jhadler
post Jan 12 2006, 03:35 PM
Post #8

Long term tinkerer...

I'd be sceptical of those fitting. 22" is very wide for the interior of a 914. And I suspect they will raise the driver up by at least 1-2 inches. For people with an abundance of altitude, they may have head clearance problems with the roof...

-Josh2
+Quote Post
914werke
post Jan 12 2006, 04:34 PM
Post #9

"I got blisters on me fingers"

Member No.: 453
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Chk this link PB seats the only fittment issues with my
customizations was with the back pad installed, the PB seats didnt conform to the cut-out in the back pad.
The plan was to install a carpet solution.
As to the construction, its fair. Not a race seat but a stylized street seat ..with BETTER SUPPORT.

SOT: but Josh save all this RICER analogy BS its old, tired and shows you bigoted tendencys. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/flipa.gif)
+Quote Post
Carlitos Way
post Jan 12 2006, 04:58 PM
Post #10

I did it MY WAY

Member No.: 2,757

QUOTE (rpmmaxxed @ Jan 12 2006, 01:29 PM)
http://www.hunsakersports.com/shop/item.asp?itemid=194

I just received one of the All black seats that I got off of ebay for $95 shipped new.

Have not installed it yet, but the quality is suprisingly nice, and is a perfect fit for me.

Might be worth a look?

I have a set of hunsakers.... but I'm less than pleased with them.
+Quote Post
jhadler
post Jan 12 2006, 05:10 PM
Post #11

Long term tinkerer...

Woah there trigger! Chill!

As for the ricer anologies, I see waaay too many ricers around here to let it go. There are sports cars, and there are sporty cars. There's a difference. And calling a bling encrusted econo-coupe a "race car" is -rice-. Slice it any way you want. It doesn't ahve to a product from the orient. It can be a blinged out German, Sweedish, or American car just as easilly. And too damn many kids take 2fast2stupid to heart and get themselves messed up or worse for me to just accept it...

Sorry if I offended you, or seem like some dottering old fart with out-dated sensibilities. But bling is heavy, bling is slow, and calling a bling-mobile a race car is an affront to my dottering, crotchety old sensibilities...

There -are- some really great adjustable sport seats out there, but $300 for a pair of 'em is not it. No, it doesn't have to be expensive to be good, but my experience with these seats says that to be true. I've done tech and safety inspection for more than my share of cars at the track and autoxes over the years, I think I've got a pretty good amount of exposure to the sport seat market and its products. It doesn't take long to be able to identify the good stuff from the fluffy white stuff...

Some one wants to spiff out their ride, rock on. But don't call it a race car. The problem comes up where some kid takes their bling-mobile, believing it to be a "race car" and thinks that all that bolt on cr*p is gonna make a real hot-shot street racer out of 'em. That's what gets people dead... And THAT pisses me off!!

Call it what you want. Rice...Squid...2Fast2Stupid...Organ Doner...Whatever...

-Josh2
+Quote Post
bernbomb914
post Jan 12 2006, 08:45 PM
Post #12

one of the oldest Farts on this board

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 36

How many people here consider their cars race cars? I dont and I have as much race parts as the next one. please dont over hipe race cars as the have very limited use and cant be enjoyed as much as a car that can be driven every day. Many of the 914 crowd fix there car to show. looks are as important as how fast it will go on the tract. The term rice makes no sence with this crowd and shouldnt be used. people should fix up their car for their own enjoyment and we should not be critical of them.

Bernie
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Jan 12 2006, 09:59 PM
Post #13

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172

The pep boys seats that i am refering to are basically cheep copies of the corbea forza seats.

at under 200 for 2 of them.... its a decent price to say the least (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif)

pics installed.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads/post-2-1103067549.jpg)

I honestly dont care much for the seats they way they come. The pice up front makes a bucket for your butt,and your knees are forced to bend. thus creating a problem while shifting and braking... But taking out one of the springs makes this much better and more comfortable. But i imagine its the same with the owners of the corbeau seats...

(IMG:http://www.corbeau.com/products/forza/4_02.jpg)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads/post-2-1102611852.jpg)

can you tell the diff?

Andrew
+Quote Post
andys
post Jan 13 2006, 10:38 AM
Post #14

Advanced Member

Member No.: 721
Region Association: None

Andyrew wrote: "I honestly dont care much for the seats they way they come. The pice up front makes a bucket for your butt,and your knees are forced to bend. thus creating a problem while shifting and braking... But taking out one of the springs makes this much better and more comfortable. But i imagine its the same with the owners of the corbeau seats..."

Anyone with the Corbeau seat care to comment on this?

I can envision the problem, since the 914 seat is so low to the floor. Not many seats would lend themselves to such a low-to-the-floor position. Andyrew, where is the spring that you removed?

Andys
+Quote Post
jhadler
post Jan 13 2006, 10:48 AM
Post #15

Long term tinkerer...

Okay, I think I need to switch to decaff...

I think the point I was trying to make was that a lot of the cheap "racing" seats that are on the market are just that, -cheap-. I've seen a bunch of different models and makes, and the difference in quality is pretty easy to tell once you sit in 'em. The cheap ones -look- great. But tend to fall appart after not too long a time.

My appologies to the forum for getting carried away on the whole "rice vs. nice" thing. The taste of shoe leather never goes down well... (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/chowtime.gif)

Still, I stand by the premise that very few of the innexpensive "racing" seats are worth it. They may look good out of the box, but tend to degrade faster, and have less support than other models. Like I said before, there are always exceptions, but most tend to be pretty cheap.

Caveat Emptor

-Josh2
+Quote Post
rpmmaxxed
post Jan 13 2006, 10:50 AM
Post #16

Member No.: 4,140

One thing that I have found in my short time in this world, is that Certain belts, or clothing for that matter can quickly eat or kill a seat in no time flat.

Had GREAT condition factory black seats, and my drive said was split open in 2 weeks (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/headbang.gif)
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th June 2024 - 02:40 AM