Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Probably been asked 1,000,000 times, Exhaust options
Ctrout
post Mar 18 2005, 11:47 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,091

Sorry for asking this again but I couldn't find the answer by using search. I got my SS HEs (for a 1.7/1.8 even) and am ready to order the muffler. I know I saw somewhere that there is one that sounds similar to stock. I've never heard a stock exhaust. Does it sound weak like a bug or nice and low. I don't want something loud and ricey but quiet while still cool/performance like. I can't afford a Triad. I am thinking about the Bursch quiet (I think the glass pack might be too loud) from Tweeks for $229 or a Dansk from Performance Products for $199. Opinions?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Allan
post Mar 18 2005, 11:48 AM
Post #2

Teenerless Weenie

Member No.: 2,304
Region Association: Southern California

I have a sebring from pelican. $130 bucks or so. Don't know what it's gonna sound like.
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Mar 18 2005, 11:55 AM
Post #3

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

a triad would'nt work on your h.e.'s. dave does'nt produce them for the 1.7/1.8. $250 seems like a lot for a bursch.

k
+Quote Post
scotty914
post Mar 18 2005, 11:56 AM
Post #4

suby torque rules

Member No.: 924

go triad, its only a 100 more dollars than the bursh. they sound sweet.

there is a sound file of the triad on PP some where i will try to find it, but you cant beat em for sound and flow.
+Quote Post
p914
post Mar 18 2005, 01:19 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 1,117
Region Association: None

I've had a Bursh on mine for several years and the low rumble is great. It still sets of car alarms in the parking structures. Check your local mechanic for competitive prices as well as auto supply stores.
+Quote Post
skline
post Mar 18 2005, 02:06 PM
Post #6

Born to Drive

Member No.: 17

I prefer the sound of the stock banana shaped muffler. The ones now are made by Danske but the originals were made by Leistritz. If you get lucky, you can find one made out of stainless steel. That is what I am going to run on mine. It has a pretty distinct sound. You would have to run the 2 liter HE's though. They wont bolt up to the 1.7 or 1.8's.
+Quote Post
Root_Werks
post Mar 18 2005, 02:15 PM
Post #7

Village Idiot

Member No.: 2,105
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE (skline @ Mar 18 2005, 12:06 PM)
I prefer the sound of the stock banana shaped muffler. The ones now are made by Danske but the originals were made by Leistritz. If you get lucky, you can find one made out of stainless steel. That is what I am going to run on mine. It has a pretty distinct sound. You would have to run the 2 liter HE's though. They wont bolt up to the 1.7 or 1.8's.

I have an almost new bannananananana (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/mueba.gif) muffler from a 1.7. I thought is sounded good, nice and quiet. Just sitting in the garage somehere now.
+Quote Post
Marlow
post Mar 18 2005, 02:19 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 1,027

I just picked up a stock-style ANSA banana muffler for my 2.0l and I think I like the sound better than the 4 tip/2muffler ANSA it replaced. It's quieter and the rumble seems a little lower at speed. I was going to try the Sebring but I heard from someone it was loud and rusts real fast too.
+Quote Post
Brando
post Mar 18 2005, 02:51 PM
Post #9

BUY MY SPARE KIDNEY!!!

Member No.: 2,648

I like the Monza (original) and Monza replica exhausts... haven't heard the triad or tangerine system. More than all, I love the sound of open headers. Need some sort of baffling though, otherwise no low-end power with an anemic 1.8L.

Last night, my bro and I were leaving Dave & Buster's, setting off car alarms easily (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif) Let's face it, with street driving that and how it sounds to you are all you care about (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/lol2.gif)
+Quote Post
jd74914
post Mar 18 2005, 03:23 PM
Post #10

Its alive

Member No.: 1,659
Region Association: North East States

never heard a triad, but the tangerine on Chris's racecar sounds really sweet (it was kinda deafening though, as the car was running while still inside the garage).
+Quote Post
horizontally-opposed
post Mar 18 2005, 04:12 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,058

Not that it's exactly available (as I've only ever seen one other 14 with it), but I haven't heard any four-cylinder exhaust that sounds better than the old Abarth muffler for the 914-4 2.0. Found one at Porsheaven years ago for $50. They thought it was a bus muffler. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/chairfall.gif)

It sounds awesome, very low, and loud enough without going overboard. It also looks good, with two fat chrome pipes coming out of the center, spaced in a similar way as the 911 sport muffler, or about license-plate wide. Too bad nobody is replicating this today...

Anybody else running one of these?

I do wonder how it flows, though, compared to others. Abarth was very, very well regarded in its day for extracting more power out Fiats, etc. Wonder how this muffler stands up to other designs. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/idea.gif)

pete
+Quote Post
Ctrout
post Mar 18 2005, 04:29 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 2,091

Seems like my choices are rather limited with the 1.8 HEs. I'm reading up on the various supertrapp setups and will be considering a custom stainless system built locally. Can supertrapps be quiet enough to run on the street with a heavy foot and still flow well? Most people seem to think not although I've seen a few threads that swear they are quieter than bursch even when running 12 discs on them. If I decide to go custom, does anyone make a good stainless muffler that is somewhat quiet but has that low rumble that we all like so well? Maybe just running stainless pipes with a non-stainless muffler could work?
+Quote Post
Triaddave
post Mar 18 2005, 05:15 PM
Post #13

Member No.: 1,478

triad does not make an exhaust for the 1.7/1.8 heat exchangers,as well as the 75/76 style heat exchangers.sorry.dual in/dual out 2.0 stuff...
+Quote Post
grantsfo
post Mar 18 2005, 08:20 PM
Post #14

Arrrrhhhh!

Member No.: 433

QUOTE (Ctrout @ Mar 18 2005, 02:29 PM)
Seems like my choices are rather limited with the 1.8 HEs. I'm reading up on the various supertrapp setups and will be considering a custom stainless system built locally. Can supertrapps be quiet enough to run on the street with a heavy foot and still flow well? Most people seem to think not although I've seen a few threads that swear they are quieter than bursch even when running 12 discs on them. If I decide to go custom, does anyone make a good stainless muffler that is somewhat quiet but has that low rumble that we all like so well? Maybe just running stainless pipes with a non-stainless muffler could work?

My new Supertrapp with 7 disks isnt as quiet as stock, but is acceptable for street use. With headers I'm feeling the increased power in mid to high rpm range and thats with only 7 disks. I cant wait to throw a bunch more in there for AX. It really only gets loud when you are full throttle above 3000 rpm or deaccelerating quickly.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 9th June 2024 - 04:03 AM