Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Won't start, What to check?
ThinAir
post May 26 2005, 11:11 PM
Post #1

Best friends

Group: Members
Member No.: 231
Region Association: Southwest Region

I'm trying to get the newly overhauled 2.0L Type IV engine started for the first time. I know I have fuel pressure and spark. I have not pulled a spark plug yet to see if I have fuel in the cylinders, but I suspect that the FI system is not powered so the injectors aren't firing.

I won't be able to work on this again until Monday and I'll be spending some time with the wiring diagrams between now and then, but I figured it was worth asking here for some pointers of things to check.

I've got a brand new Bowlsby ignition wiring harness. Besides the engine cranking, but never even coughing (much less firing), the only other indication I have is that I have no oil pressure indicator light. I've checked all the ignition and FI harness connections, including the trigger points and the grounds under the air filter.

Anyone got any ideas?

This post has been edited by ThinAir914: May 26 2005, 11:16 PM
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
McMark
post May 27 2005, 12:34 AM
Post #2

914 Freak!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 419
Region Association: None

Pull the injectors out of one side and crank the engine. See if fuel comes out. WARNING: THIS IS DANGEROUS. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/dry.gif)

If there's no fuel, something is hooked up wrong. If everything is hooked up correctly, check the main power relay or the fuel pump relay. If the relay on the board closest to the firewall is #1 (there's often not a relay in this socket), main power is #2 and fuel is #3. If you don't have spares, swap #2 & #4 or #3 & #4 to test. Check the sockets for corrosion.
+Quote Post
JoeSharp
post May 27 2005, 01:55 PM
Post #3

In Irvine, Ca. May 15-18

Member No.: 898
Region Association: South East States

IMHO. Start up should go something like this.
Without spark plugs crankover till you get oil pressure.
Get fuel pressure. (you can hear or feel the injectors click).
Install the plugs and try to start.
9 times out of 10 its timing.
If you are haveing troubel with your oil pressure light check it by grounding the wire at the sending unite, should light up with the key on.
If you hook up the fuel pressure regulator backwards it may start and flood the engine and still run through start-up (happened at Headrages start-up).
Look for lose conectors and check the timing.
:PERMAGRIN:Joe
+Quote Post
ThinAir
post May 30 2005, 05:29 PM
Post #4

Best friends

Well it still won't start and it looks like the injectors are not firing. Here's what I've done or that I know for sure at this point:

1) The fuel system is pressurized. I can hear the pump run and I've disconnected the hose just before the pressure regulator and gotten sprayed with fuel as the pressure in the line was released.

2) When I crank the engine, no fuel comes out of the injectors into the little glass jars that I put under them.

3) I used my test light to test the electical at the #1 injector. When the ignition is first turned to the "on" position I get a brief light on my test light at one of the injectors. When the engine is cranking I get no further lights. I expected to see the light flash to indicate pulsing of the charge to the injector.

4) I've used a foam-backed emory pad to clean every single fuse and connection on the fuse block and the relay board. I've also cleaned all the relay pins & sockets as well as spreading the relay pins slightly to ensure that they get a good connection.

5) I tested the 4-pin connector on the relay board that goes to the brain. When I turn on the ignition, I get a bright white test bulb light when connected to connector "I" on the relay board, and a not-so-bright light when connected to connector "III" right next to it. I get no lights on the other connectors.

6) The Oil Pressure light works now thanks to changing out the pressure sender unit. I've cranked the engine enough to get the light to go out so I know I have oil pressure.

At this point I suspect that the injector points are not telling the injectors to fire. This is strange since this this is the same distributor, injector points, relay board, ECU that were working when the engine froze up. Even though it's strange, I'm not one to argue with reality. So where do I go next with this? Any ideas?
+Quote Post
ThinAir
post May 30 2005, 06:34 PM
Post #5

Best friends

Update -

To check the trigger points, I've swapped my distributor for the known-good distro in Mike's '73. This also allowed me to confirm that my timing is correct. I've still got no fuel being delivered by the injectors and I can't detect any clicking of the injectors when they should be opening & closing.

I'm begining to think that something must have broken in the FI wiring harness during the teardown & reassembly. I know it's in need of replacement, but I was hoping to put that off a little while yet. I guess I'll go check & see how quickly I can get one.
+Quote Post
JoeSharp
post May 30 2005, 06:40 PM
Post #6

In Irvine, Ca. May 15-18

If its a fuel issue you can spray starter fulid down the throttel body and it will tell you.
Joe
+Quote Post
ThinAir
post May 30 2005, 07:19 PM
Post #7

Best friends

Yup - it fires just fine with Starter Fluid. For the 1/2 second that it ran, it sounded REALLY GOOD! (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
redshift
post May 30 2005, 07:23 PM
Post #8

Bless the Hell out of you!

Member No.: 869

Hang in there.. you are doing the right stuff..

M
+Quote Post
brp914
post May 30 2005, 07:43 PM
Post #9

Unregistered

what is resistance of cht sensor? - should be atleast 1000 ohm cold from lead to ground. If infinite or zero or not connected the engine will not start/run.

It can be hard to hear injector clicking while cranking engine so turning ign key on and either
1. lift off distrib and twist rotor, or
2.put in 5th gear and push forward a couple feet or so, or
3.simulate triggers by disconnecting trigger harness from distrib and touch a wire between ctr and either outter terminal on harness.
if no clicking then power or efi problem.

when you turn key to "on" do you hear fuel pump come on a couple seconds? if so, ecu is getting power. if no, then atleast one of: (pump, ecu) is not getting power (assuming ecu is good - it is rare for ecu to go bad - 300k mile on mine)
+Quote Post
JoeSharp
post May 30 2005, 09:30 PM
Post #10

In Irvine, Ca. May 15-18

With the key on you can hear the injectors dlick whe you use the throttle. They should click 3 or 4 times each time you open up the throttel(enrich the mixture for WOT) like an accelerator pump on a carb. Nothing to do with the injector points.
Joe
+Quote Post
JoeSharp
post May 30 2005, 09:47 PM
Post #11

In Irvine, Ca. May 15-18

I just went out to my 2L and tried this, with the key on let the fuel pump stop and pull on the throttel cable and listen for the click, I heard 3 clicks and they are not related to the triger points.
Joe
+Quote Post
brp914
post May 30 2005, 10:04 PM
Post #12

Unregistered

throttle will actuate injectors due to tps, but engine will run decently w/o tps, but cannot run solely on tps (unless you're like the Eddie van halen of tap dancers).
+Quote Post
ThinAir
post May 30 2005, 10:35 PM
Post #13

Best friends

QUOTE (brp914 @ May 30 2005, 06:43 PM)
what is resistance of cht sensor? - should be atleast 1000 ohm cold from lead to ground. If infinite or zero or not connected the engine will not start/run.

I think Bryan may get the Gold Star for this one. The CHT measures zero resistance from lead to ground. The bummer of this is that the CHT is supposedly brand new - so of course I had not checked the value on it. The price of the CHT was right - free - but it's a bummer to have to change it with the sheet metal on. Now I've got to see if I can find my old one back!

Joe - I tried the throttle trick as well and I got several clicks from the injectors just as expected.

Bryan - yes the fuel pump can be heard running just as expected and I know I have a pressurized fuel system (although I have not yet measured the fuel pressure).

I've had an engine stop running when before when my CHT became disconnected so I'm pretty sure that this is the culprit.

Thanks to all of you for going to all this trouble to help! I really appreciate it! (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/pray.gif)
+Quote Post
brp914
post May 30 2005, 11:11 PM
Post #14

Unregistered

zero is weird. had 'em go infinite intermittent. if you can get one tomorrow fine, otherwise might try 2k ohm resistor as test. hope it works (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
ThinAir
post Jun 2 2005, 01:25 AM
Post #15

Best friends

What a crappy day - the CHT arrived as expected, and was surprisingly easy to change out, but nothing changed after I swapped it out. On top of that, the Suns are out of the playoffs so the NBA finals won't be worth watching because it will just be the same old slow & grind it out style bball. Oh well... next year!

I've read through Brad Anders D-Jet web page and the only thing he mentions that will prevent injectors from firing is if your MPS is bad or has a connection problem. Tomorrow I'm going to use his chart of FI harness voltages & resistances to check the FI wiring harness, then I'm going to put the fuel pressure gauge on the system and make sure just what my fuel pressure is at the fuel rail.

At least I'm sure that the CHT really needed replacing. I tested it outside of the car, compared to the new one, and it definitely had 0 resistance. The new one also measures the same after installation as it did outside the car.

I posted some questions about Brad's stuff over at The ShopTalk Forums in case you'd like to look and make any comments.

I really appreciate all the help offered here and will be grateful for any other suggestions that you might have. Right now I'm really depressed abou the whole thing! (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/headbang.gif) (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/headbang.gif) (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/headbang.gif) (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/headbang.gif)
+Quote Post
ThinAir
post Jun 2 2005, 11:35 PM
Post #16

Best friends

Well it turned out to be something really stupid - fuel lines switched so the supply went to the wrong side of the fuel pressure regulator.

Now it idles at almost 4,000 rpm - it's just one thing after another. I'm begining to wonder if I'll ever get to drive it!
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 11th June 2024 - 11:09 PM