Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> V8 overheating, crapped up block
sean_v8_914
post Jul 31 2005, 01:22 PM
Post #41

Chingon 601

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,541

OK, school me
I got my pencil, gimme something to write on
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
John2kx
post Jul 31 2005, 01:30 PM
Post #42

Member No.: 1,066

QUOTE (sean_v8_914 @ Jul 31 2005, 09:31 AM)
I'll post a pic of the exp tank mounting

check out my air burp system on teh intake manifold. it goes to all teh high spots in teh cooling system

How do I pressure test the cooling system? If it will reveal a problem, I want to know about it BEFORE I damage my mojos guts

Sean,

Looking at the pictures you have posted, it does not look like you have a expansion tank. What I see and the way the hoses are plumbed from the aluminum tank, (from your description......to top of radiator and one to intake) what you have is a fill port and will work great for just that, but will not work as a expansion tank.

I recommend adding a tank similar to the picture attached. This works as a true expansion tank by being open to atmosphere. It allows water and air from your cooling system to collect there as the pressure determined by your radiator cap setting. Then as the system cools ONLY the water is allowed back into cooling system.

For about $10 you can buy the tank, mounting bracket and extra clear hose. Connect hose at bottom of new expansion tank to hose at the top of your fill port and you should see improvement. I'd go to the radiator where you had the hose on top of fill port routed and use the fitting on top of radiator as a place to purge air during burping procedure. Add a petcock fitting if required.

All of this is what I learned from the Renegade system and exactly how they do it.

As far as pressure testing cooling system: you can rent a tool from your FLAPS to do this. You'll get a small hand pump equipped with gage and a fitting to attach to top of your fill port. The instructions will tell you how to perform operation and it only takes about 10 minutes. You'll basically just pump up your system to about 20 psi or so and wait for 10 minutes. If you see a decrease in your original pressure, you've got a leak. Could be a hose or something else external. Worse case is a bad head or intake gasket.

John

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
sean_v8_914
post Jul 31 2005, 01:48 PM
Post #43

Chingon 601

does the plastic tank need to be mounted at the same height as the filler neck? mine is odwn low
+Quote Post
sean_v8_914
post Jul 31 2005, 01:52 PM
Post #44

Chingon 601

the brown hose to the left of teh radiator cap goes to a plactic bottle. it is ismilar to yours but mounted low since the Jacobs computer is in teh way. prehaps I should move the ignition system to teh rear trunk to allow mounting of a plastic tank like teh one you showed me here
+Quote Post
John2kx
post Jul 31 2005, 05:40 PM
Post #45

Glad to hear your running a expansion tank!

The expansion tank needs to mounted as high as you can get it since all you have is a small amount of vacuum to pull water back into system during cool down.

The expansion tank can be used to determine flaws in system and I recommend having something that you can see (water increase/decrease) as your troubleshooting. If your not pulling water back into system as it transitions from being hot to cold, you've got a leak in system and allowing air, not water back in. FYI, the tank you see in my picture is the larger version......where I picked mine up there was the same rig but about half size.

What about your gage? Are you sure your getting accurate readings?

John
+Quote Post
sean_v8_914
post Jul 31 2005, 08:42 PM
Post #46

Chingon 601

travis: thanks for teh relay. Sue and I were just looking at this photo and talking about the nice guy that rushed up with the spare parts that day. we broke down up there and didnt even care. the views were amazing as teh ride its self. we never got out of 2nd gear

John, I see teh level of water change during cooldown by about 10-16 oz after a purge and re-fill. does a radiator shop do a presure test of teh system? I think my fill tank has an air leak at teh neck. it girgles there a bit

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
sean_v8_914
post Jul 31 2005, 08:45 PM
Post #47

Chingon 601

it fizzles under the radiator cap about an inch below where the neck joins the body of teh AL tank

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
sean_v8_914
post Jul 31 2005, 08:47 PM
Post #48

Chingon 601

who tig welds in San diego? how much should I expect to pay for that bead around the neck
+Quote Post
914GT
post Jul 31 2005, 08:53 PM
Post #49

Member No.: 2,923
Region Association: Southwest Region

Sean, you might get away with just using some high-temp epoxy to seal that air leak, since it's just a small seam between the two parts. I'm assuming the upper piece is crimped on somehow and doesn't need a mechanical repair for strength.
+Quote Post
John2kx
post Jul 31 2005, 09:35 PM
Post #50

QUOTE (sean_v8_914 @ Jul 31 2005, 06:45 PM)
it fizzles under the radiator cap about an inch below where the neck joins the body of teh AL tank

Sean,

If you have a leak in the fill tank, your expansion tank is not able to do its job. The leak in fill tank will allow air to enter system during cool down. Coolant draw from expansion tank is further aggrevated by being mounted low as described.

With this situation, you'll never get the air out of system necessary to prevent overheating. You could have just about any auto shop do a leak test of cooling system but you'll have to wait for system to cool to allow removal of radiator cap unless you have some other means of doing so. As I mentioned in a earlier post, this tool is available for rent for about $10/day and may come in handy if your going to attempt repair of fill tank with some type of expoxy. BTW, I recommend JB Weld (if your not going to weld it) only after sanding metal your going to apply material to. Obviously, welding this seam is the preferred method.

Once you've got all leaks repair, monitor expansion tank level for several days. It will take several "burp sessions" to remove initial air in system and after this point you should be able to see level in expansion tank stabalize to the same point everytime after cool down. Note: cool down takes several hours to occur and I use "overnight" as my test period.

John
+Quote Post
sean_v8_914
post Jul 31 2005, 09:49 PM
Post #51

Chingon 601

I'll wait to find a welder. I do all my own welding but I dont have teh equipment to do AL. I'll try FLAPS for p-tetser rental.

I am also going to relocate teh exp tank up higher, even with the fill tank

I have a bigger Griffin radiator coming but I want to sort it out first with this one . since it shold work as is, this is an indicator of something else wrong

how much fan do I need? I have 2 each Hays 11" pullers @600cfm ea

thanks for the help guys.
+Quote Post
sean_v8_914
post Aug 2 2005, 01:00 PM
Post #52

Chingon 601

I pulled the AL fill tank to fix teh leak at the crimp seam. as I start to clean it, I see a hole in the hose fitting so I clean that for repair also. well, an entire section caved in from the wire brush. then i notice a pin hole in teh neck, then one on teh backside. this thing is swiss cheese. it is not worthy of tig welding. I have a new tube of JB weld and I intend to use it ALL. I'll make an entire tank out of it if I have to. I have a new Moroso tank for my other V8 car but I would have to re-plumb to use it since teh ins and outs are in different places

we need a smiley face hugging a tube of JB weld. I made an entire mounting ear on a chevy alternator once. I think it is still in service 15 years later
+Quote Post
John2kx
post Aug 2 2005, 01:48 PM
Post #53

Sean,

When you think you've got the leaks fixed rent one of these. Allot easier than trying to find hot liquids under car.

http://www.partsplus.com/shared/Marketing/...oCoolingSys.pdf

John
+Quote Post
sean_v8_914
post Aug 3 2005, 12:01 AM
Post #54

Chingon 601

what temp is TOO HOT?
what temp is OK hot
is 200 to 220 OK for diving around?
+Quote Post
Jake Raby
post Aug 3 2005, 12:39 AM
Post #55

Engine Surgeon

Member No.: 1,095
Region Association: South East States

Also- DO NOT use "JB Kwik" its not the same as the old school JB WELD.. The JB Kwik cures too fast and isn't worth a damn compared to the real stuff..

I once fixed a crack in the crankcase of an Abarth tuned Fuhrmann 547 4 cam Carrera engine with JB weld, and it still holds today...... Yes guys- Thats a 100K buck engine fixed with 5 bucks worth of JB weld!
+Quote Post
John2kx
post Aug 3 2005, 05:55 AM
Post #56

QUOTE (sean_v8_914 @ Aug 2 2005, 10:01 PM)
what temp is TOO HOT?
what temp is OK hot
is 200 to 220 OK for diving around?

You'll get many answers to that question depending who you ask. 180F has been a satisfactory temp. for as long as I can remember but you do see some v8s that run a steady 210 or so all day long and were designed that way. My 89 corvette is an example but for the 914s and older blocks, I believe 180F should be your target as a normal temperature.

On a really hot day in bumper to bumper traffic, it may go up to 200-210 but should cool back down to 180 once you get above 45 mph. My 350 equipped 914, on a hot day (90+) with a/c blowing, would run 180-185 on the highway and would go as high as 200-210 in bumper to bumper traffic. Turn off the a/c and the temp. would drop 10 degrees or so. If the outside temp were below 90F, my water temp. never went above 180F.

I recommend a accurate, calibrated gage to determine what is going on and prefer a mechanical for this purpose. This will rule out any electrical fluctuations and error in temp. readings that may occur.

John
+Quote Post
1bad914
post Aug 3 2005, 07:49 AM
Post #57

Member No.: 2,028

Where are you buying the expansion tank in the picture? I need one and have not seen one at my FLAPS?
+Quote Post
BIGKAT_83
post Aug 3 2005, 08:10 AM
Post #58

Member No.: 194
Region Association: South East States

Here are a few and this is the way they need to be plumbed up.Expansion Tanks

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
John2kx
post Aug 3 2005, 09:33 AM
Post #59

QUOTE (1bad914 @ Aug 3 2005, 05:49 AM)
Where are you buying the expansion tank in the picture? I need one and have not seen one at my FLAPS?

Bought mine at Autozone. If you don't have any luck locally, here's a connection via ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/COOLANT-REC...sspagenameZWDVW

John
+Quote Post
neo914-6
post Aug 4 2005, 08:44 AM
Post #60

neo life

Member No.: 159

The hexagonal shaped tank is Renegades with 1" dia Inlet/outlet. The round tanks Bob posted seem ok but the inlet/outlet sizes are smaller and they are only $15-20 cheaper than Renegades ~$75...

Plastic overflow or recovery tanks are found at FLAPS. They are cheap and "disposable" as I've found they crack or fittings to break probably due to my engine compartment heat. Ceramic headers should minimize heat and it helps to see the level as compared to aluminum recovery tanks.
+Quote Post

4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 7th June 2024 - 03:52 PM