Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Chalon engine coming together, Pics of motor
skline
post May 14 2004, 07:50 PM
Post #1

Born to Drive

Group: Members
Member No.: 17
Region Association: Southern California

Well, here is the engine I built for the Chalon. Lets just hope I remember how to do Chevy engines. Its been a few years since I built one. This is a 283 Chevy bored 30 over, running a performer cam and lifters, performer intake, billet accesories to include valve covers (Tall to clear the roller rockers), timing cover, and oil pan, Edelbrock 1406 carb, ceramic coated headers, and its starting to look pretty good. I just hope it runs as good as it looks. What do you think?

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
nebreitling
post May 14 2004, 08:07 PM
Post #2

Member Emeritus

Member No.: 478

looks slow.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)
+Quote Post
Gint
post May 14 2004, 08:30 PM
Post #3

Mike Ginter

Group: Admin
Member No.: 20
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Lookin good Scott. Now get back to work!
+Quote Post
tesserra
post May 15 2004, 06:42 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 479

Looks great !
A couple of observations from a 914 v8 owner.

Paint the engine a color you can see any leaks on. My current motor is black and it is very hard to trace, leaks.

Chrome timing covers leak. You need to dechrome the gasket surface. The shiny gasket mating surface sort of lets the gasket squish out and it will leak. The front of these conversions get much hotter than a normal v8 car because there is no air passing over the front of the motor. These front engine leaks require engine removal, so get theme right the first time.

Take alot of care to be sure the belts on the waterpump and alternator are running absolutely straight. If not perfect they will spin off at high RPM. They are are much more difficult to adjust when the motor is in the car.

Good luck. When you get your first drive it will all be worth it. These cars are very fast. Every time I drive it I still cant believe how fast it accelerates.

George
+Quote Post
skline
post May 15 2004, 06:53 AM
Post #5

Born to Drive

QUOTE(tesserra @ May 15 2004, 04:42 AM)
Looks great !
A couple of observations from a 914 v8 owner.

Paint the engine a color you can see any leaks on. My current motor is black and it is very hard to trace, leaks.

Chrome timing covers leak. You need to dechrome the gasket surface. The shiny gasket mating surface sort of lets the gasket squish out and it will leak. The front of these conversions get much hotter than a normal v8 car because there is no air passing over the front of the motor. These front engine leaks require engine removal, so get theme right the first time.

Take alot of care to be sure the belts on the waterpump and alternator are running absolutely straight. If not perfect they will spin off at high RPM. They are are much more difficult to adjust when the motor is in the car.

Good luck. When you get your first drive it will all be worth it. These cars are very fast. Every time I drive it I still cant believe how fast it accelerates.

George

There aint no chrome on this engine! Its all billet aluminum. Chrome parts warp too easy, I find the aluminum is more rigid and not prone to leaking like standard stamped covers. But the rest of your advice is well taken. I really dont want to pull this in and out all the time. I had it painted silver at first but didnt like it. So I went with black to offset the polished aluminum parts. If it leaks, I will just follow the oil spots to find the leak.
+Quote Post
Levi
post May 15 2004, 10:28 AM
Post #6

Lick my nuts

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,783

Ifin a Small Block Chevy leaks it wasn't built by me.. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol2.gif)
There are a few tricks to insure THEY DON'T LEAK...ever... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Scott.. It looks great..

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
grantsfo
post May 15 2004, 11:06 AM
Post #7

Arrrrhhhh!

Member No.: 433
Region Association: None

Those valve covers look like your avatar (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cool_shades.gif)
+Quote Post
skline
post May 15 2004, 11:20 AM
Post #8

Born to Drive

They have to, look whats inside.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
propricer
post May 15 2004, 02:10 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 1,938

What's your estimate on rpm and hp ???
Are you going to use stock 901 gears ???
Good luck ... Ed
+Quote Post
skline
post May 15 2004, 02:29 PM
Post #10

Born to Drive

QUOTE(propricer @ May 15 2004, 12:10 PM)
What's your estimate on rpm and hp ???
Are you going to use stock 901 gears ???
Good luck ... Ed

Well, I built this engine going by what Rod Simpson told me. It is to his specs and he said it puts out about 360HP and should get about 30 MPG. The trans at this point is a stock trans but I have another one here that when money permits I will have modified with taller gears and a billet intermediate plate. Or, I am on the lookout for a 930 gearbox also. I may just do that if it comes along at a price I can afford. For right now, the stock trans will have to work and if I can get them to work, I will be running the bus axles as I hear they are stronger. That may not happen right away as I hear there is some adapter required to run them. If anyone here knows about that, let me know.
+Quote Post
Levi
post May 15 2004, 03:51 PM
Post #11

Lick my nuts

Scott, your rpm range with the performer cam is 800-5500 rpm with the peak torque at about 3500, you can probably pull 6000+rpm but I wouldn't make a habit of it.
I believe the HP given you is to high, those numbers would even be a little high for a 350 cid running the performer cam and manifold.

Check out the Edelbrock web site they sould have some dyno results that will give you a better idea.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
DuckRyder
post May 15 2004, 04:09 PM
Post #12

Avatars Mode: OFF because of the recalcitrant few.

Member No.: 110

I agree with LEVI, I don't think a 283 with a performer cam will make 360 hp. might make 360 tq.

Edelbrocks performer cams are very mild as a general rule.
+Quote Post
Levi
post May 15 2004, 05:44 PM
Post #13

Lick my nuts

QUOTE(DuckRyder @ May 15 2004, 02:09 PM)
I agree with LEVI, I don't think a 283 with a performer cam will make 360 hp. might make 360 tq.

Edelbrocks performer cams are very mild as a general rule.

I've run the performer Cam & manifold in several 350's and I like the set up.
It has real nice low end torque, works nice in a pickup for light to med. towing.

I think it will make Scott's 914 a Nice driver & a quick little car, I probably would have recommended a 350 just because it weighs the same and has more HP & torque right out of the box, but the 283's are great engines hell, I have 2 sitting in my shop.
+Quote Post
Slowpoke
post May 15 2004, 05:58 PM
Post #14

Member No.: 768

283's and 327's were great little engines. But, it is differcult to get a decent one now. By the time you get the block cooked and tumbled to clean out 40 plus years of corrosion in the water jackets. Then off to get it sonic tested you might go through 6 to 10 blocks before you find a decent one that you can get bored. That can get expensive. But, they were the first v8 to get 1 horsepower per cubic inch, so they got some history. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) Nice looking engine.
+Quote Post
DuckRyder
post May 15 2004, 06:03 PM
Post #15

Avatars Mode: OFF because of the recalcitrant few.

Member No.: 110

Ran the performer cam and manifold in my 351 in the vickey. It was a nice combo there two. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

I wasn't saying it wouldn't be a nice engine, I just think 360 HP is a high estimate. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif)

Course I know way more about Fords than cheverays.............................

OH, and it is a nice looking engine! wonder if a set of cast/finned LT1 covers will go over those rockers? Ford blue rockers are good too................
+Quote Post
John2kx
post May 16 2004, 07:45 AM
Post #16

Member No.: 1,066

QUOTE(skline @ May 15 2004, 04:53 AM)
QUOTE(tesserra @ May 15 2004, 04:42 AM)
Looks great !

George

There aint no chrome on this engine! Its all billet aluminum. Chrome parts warp too easy, I find the aluminum is more rigid and not prone to leaking like standard stamped covers. But the rest of your advice is well taken. I really dont want to pull this in and out all the time. I had it painted silver at first but didnt like it. So I went with black to offset the polished aluminum parts. If it leaks, I will just follow the oil spots to find the leak.

Scott,

Your engine looks great. I run the same timing chain cover and your valve covers also look like what I have. No leaks at all.

John
+Quote Post
turbo914v8
post May 16 2004, 12:11 PM
Post #17

Member No.: 952

You will need 4 adaptors to run the vw bus cv set up in your 914. I got my adaptors from RH.

Regards,

Turbo Paul.
+Quote Post
BIGKAT_83
post May 16 2004, 01:04 PM
Post #18

Member No.: 194
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(turbo914v8 @ May 16 2004, 10:11 AM)
You will need 4 adaptors to run the vw bus cv set up in your 914. I got my adaptors from RH.

Regards,

Turbo Paul.

I use adapters like these to put 86mm cv joint bolt circle 911 axles to to my 901 flanges and then used all 911 axles,stub axles and brakes, had to also make a spacer for the hub for correct placement of the vented rotor.

Bob

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
skline
post May 16 2004, 08:17 PM
Post #19

Born to Drive

QUOTE(turbo914v8 @ May 16 2004, 10:11 AM)

Regards,

Turbo Paul.

How much did they charge for those adapters and are they available anywhere else in case they dont have them?
+Quote Post
turbo914v8
post May 17 2004, 07:24 PM
Post #20

Member No.: 952

Those are the same one's that I got from RH. Sorry it was a long time ago and I don't remember what the price was. I have since made my own adaptors as I have changed to the ZF Pantera gearbox. Making the adaptors is not that difficult. Just take your time with the measurements. Any machine shop with a lathe can make them. My new ones cost me $100.00 CND. I supplied the materials.

Regards,

Turbo Paul.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st May 2024 - 02:09 AM