Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Hosed
JerryP
post May 19 2004, 09:07 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,225

Somebody else must have done this.

If one was to want to replace all the vacuum and fuel hoses for a single car(just rubber...not plastic lines), about how many feet of each size would you buy?

I ask this because I looked at the Pelican diagram which says most 914 fuel hoses are 7mm but the diagram appears to show that the bulk of the hoses in the engine bay are sizes other than 7mm. I am not smart enough to reconcile this. Please help.

Are any old FLAPS high pressure hoses ok or do I need genuine German hoses?

Where do you guys buy hose?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Rusty
post May 19 2004, 09:11 AM
Post #2

Wanted: Engine case GA003709

Group: Admin
Member No.: 6
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

You need metric hose for vacuum lines for a FI car. AA sells the "colored" kit, pre-cut. Other places, including your friendly neighborhood bug shop will sell you plain old metric vacuum line.

IIRC, for fuel lines, I used the closest english equivalent to the metric size, without a problem. Even though I have carbs, I used high pressure fuel line with FI style clamps.

Sorry, don't have the lengths.

-Rusty (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smoke.gif)
+Quote Post
3liter914-6
post May 19 2004, 09:21 AM
Post #3

Master of Clueless Posts

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,238
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(Lawrence @ May 19 2004, 11:11 AM)
You need metric hose for vacuum lines for a FI car. AA sells the "colored" kit, pre-cut. Other places, including your friendly neighborhood bug shop will sell you plain old metric vacuum line.

IIRC, for fuel lines, I used the closest english equivalent to the metric size, without a problem. Even though I have carbs, I used high pressure fuel line with FI style clamps.

Sorry, don't have the lengths.

-Rusty (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smoke.gif)

Dave Darlings 2.0L hose diagram lists what diameter and lengths the vacuum lines are. Add them all up and there's your total for each hose size. The in car fuel lines run around 6ft. I believe I got 8 ft of -4 line to run my return and had around 2 feet to spare after it exited the firewall.

Adam

(IMG:http://www.pelicanparts.com/914/technical_specs/Vacc_Hose_v3.JPG)
+Quote Post
3liter914-6
post May 19 2004, 09:26 AM
Post #4

Master of Clueless Posts

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,238
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(JerryP @ May 19 2004, 11:07 AM)

I ask this because I looked at the Pelican diagram which says most 914 fuel hoses are 7mm but the diagram appears to show that the bulk of the hoses in the engine bay are sizes other than 7mm. I am not smart enough to reconcile this. Please help.

Early 914s used different size flow and return lines from the gas tank. Later 914s have the same size for both (7MM). The diagram shows the vacuum lines, and it looks to me that he's just commenting that the fuel lines are also this size. That's my take. I'm frequently wrong though...
+Quote Post
JerryP
post May 19 2004, 10:38 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 1,225

That makes more sense. The 6 feet of fuel line is what I was after. Thanks.

Follow up dumb question: Is it ok for fuel line to be used as vaccum line?(not vice versa). I know there is no reason to do this but I've got an engine that hasn't been started in years where the PO just clamped on whatever hose he had lying around for any purpose. Just curious. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post
mike_the_man
post May 19 2004, 11:00 AM
Post #6

I like stuff!

Member No.: 809

I can't see why it would be a problem. Just make sure that the lines aren't collapsing under vaccuum. I bought a few cheap hoses, and at idel under full vaccuum the would be sucked down and collapsed.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th May 2024 - 03:32 PM