Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Jake, a question about flywheels., "C" dimension spec.
Mark Henry
post Jun 16 2004, 07:28 AM
Post #1

that's what I do!

Group: Members
Member No.: 26
Region Association: Canada

I have posted the below spec sheet for resurfacing a flywheel severial times. Members have bought new flywheels (one from the bird) base on this spec, for the "C" dimension, and recieved a flywheel that by this spec sheet is at its wear limit.

I know (because I've resurfaced severial flywheels) that once your down to this spec your into grinding down the fly bolts and shimming the pivot ball.
If the below spec wrong I don't want anyone else buying a fly needlessly and/or if the new flys have the wrong spec I would like them to know.

What's the skinny?

The thread in question is:
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act...t=ST&f=2&t=9512

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Jun 16 2004, 07:45 AM
Post #2

that's what I do!

Also, on this subject, I’ve been considering cutting down the centre (“C” dimension) to get some extra life out of the flywheels. I don’t think the strength would be compromised in a stock application, but it does pose its own set of problems.

1/ It’s hard to chuck up in a lathe, you either need a monster lathe, or you would have to clamp it down on the seal hub. I’ve thought about wrapping this surface with brass shim stock, so not to damage it.

2/ You would have to shim the pivot ball, this could be a bit too much and it would increase the chance of damaging the trans case.

Thoughts????
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Jun 16 2004, 07:52 AM
Post #3

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

mark, please clarify. do you mean that people are recieving "new" as in brand new or new to them refurbished flywheels?

kevin
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Jun 16 2004, 08:04 AM
Post #4

that's what I do!

Crash914 and Kobas said they received new flywheels (kobas says from the bird) and the "C" spec is wrong according to the above spec. They could be reground and they don't know it, but if the bird says "new" then that's what I'd expect.

See the above mentioned thread.
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Jun 16 2004, 08:14 AM
Post #5

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

i went and looked. the bird doesn't offer resurfaced fws. just new ones @$229.50 (for the 4) and i bet shipping isn't cheap. any idea what the new demension is for "c", as opposed to the rejection #?

kevin
+Quote Post
Jake Raby
post Jun 16 2004, 08:20 AM
Post #6

Engine Surgeon

Member No.: 1,095
Region Association: South East States

In my experience these flywheels get resurfaced by idiots all the time... They never look at the specs and just cut the lower step till they clean up and then trim the top step the same..

I seldo reject any flywheels unless they are severe, and I made a tool from an old flywheel bolt to use as a standard. I hate to shim the pivot and grind bolts but sometimes we do.

These flywheels are so strong that you can surface them clear down and they'll still hold.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 15th May 2024 - 01:36 PM