Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Talented 914 writers at WCC?, Need help for Excellence...
horizontally-opposed
post Jun 16 2004, 05:56 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,058
Region Association: None

Last issue's final OKs fell on the Friday of WCC, so I got stuck here. Came to Candlestick Sat. and was impressed with the cars but moreso the people. Got some old fashioned film of many cars at the autocross that day, too. But, sadly, that was my only day on the scene and I felt a little disconnected...

Looking at next issue's slot for the WCC story, I think it a bit lame to write up an event I missed 2/3s of -- plus I know there are some highly talented people on this board (SLITS The Poet please take a bow!)...

So would anyone like to help out and take a stab at getting published in Excellence? I'm looking for 1000-1500 words on the people, places, cars, and EMOTION of the event. Please, no laundry lists -- do this event justice by sucking all those 911 and 356 owners in so they can't put it down. I mean, where else do you get a Dutch 914 master flying in, a Nissan 3000cc 914, a family-built 928-powered 914 towed in from Minnesota, a Flux Capacitor-equipped electric 914 that runs 13s in the 1/4 mile, etc?!? Best guideline: If you have fun writing it, it will probably be fun reading it.

Of course, I'll pay the author whose story gets published at our normal rate...which would probably work out to a few (or possibly several) hundred bucks. There's no catch, other than I'd need it pretty quickly (week or so?) and you may end up competing with your fellow 914 clubbers.

I'm currently talking to Brad on figuring out if I can publish some of the great pictures so many have posted, how to make that happen, if people will allow it, etc. There are a LOT of good ones!

Many, many thanks,

pete
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Brad Roberts
post Jun 16 2004, 06:10 PM
Post #2

914 Freak!

Member No.: 8

Pete,

I spoke to Stan today about the club running a 1/3 page 4 color advert. I need to work with Jeroen to come up with this ad. I would like the ad to hit the same time the WCC coverage hits if it at all possible. The thought is to utilize one of the shots of the cars at Laguna as the backdrop for the advert and too list all of the next "Classic" related events across the USA (Mid-West/Fall Foliage and if the East Coast guys will cooperate... East Coast Classic.)

Thanks for attending the event Pete. It was a blast as you noticed. The people in this club truelly are unique to say the least.

Speak to you soon.

B
+Quote Post
JeffBowlsby
post Jun 16 2004, 06:17 PM
Post #3

914 Wiring Harnesses

Member No.: 104

Pete Stout...what a privilege that you hang out with us. We wish we would have had a chance to make your personal acquaintance and that you would have been available for some of the other venues at the 914 WCC 2004. Next time hopefully.

Surely one or more attendees will step up to the challenge and pen eloquently for your fine periodical. I would like to believe that any and all of us would be more than eager to release any photos you may have interest in for publication, a simple email to the shutterbug will confirm.

So who of us...even more than just one...will step up and submit 914 prose worthy of publication...furthering the 914Club cause?

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/cool.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cool.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cool.gif)
+Quote Post
Toast
post Jun 16 2004, 06:37 PM
Post #4

Not bad for carrying sway bars.

Member No.: 1,580
Region Association: Southwest Region

I vote Slits! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)

Unfortunatly, he was also there only one day and a couple hours at the AX.

Maybe a few attendees could get together and swap war, I mean WCC stories. Just a thought.
+Quote Post
JWest
post Jun 16 2004, 06:56 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 97

Ginger will give it a shot if she get to it in time. She's a published writer, so it should be good if she does it.
+Quote Post
EdwardBlume
post Jun 16 2004, 08:13 PM
Post #6

914 Wizard

Member No.: 81
Region Association: Central California

I'll give it a shot too. Why not.
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Jun 17 2004, 01:07 AM
Post #7

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Member No.: 43
Region Association: Northstar Region

Great fun! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif) Pete, Gotta hand it to you, That's a winning Idea! The kids have a video their about to release. I haven't seen it yet but I listened to the editing and chatter for the last 1700 miles of the trip. I'll send you a link when they finally post it on their site. Anything I post is public information as far as I'm concerned. Thanks for the kind words at the AX and I'm glad you enjoyed our work.
+Quote Post
J P Stein
post Jun 17 2004, 02:38 AM
Post #8

Irrelevant old fart

Member No.: 45

Pete:
I'd like to hep ya out, but I can't speel worth shit and I wasn't there, neither.....maybe next time, eh? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cool_shades.gif)
+Quote Post
horizontally-opposed
post Jun 17 2004, 09:59 AM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Thanks, and the privilege to be here is mine. Even at a distance, I loved the atmosphere of the group on Saturday, but suspect I would have loved Friday (and Thursday night) even more. Deadlines can come at the WORST times!

As for the story submissions, bring 'em on. I know y'all are e-savvy, but faxes would be best for me to hold, read, drip mustard on, etc. So please fax 'em to me at (415) 382-0587 with a cover sheet saying ATTN: Pete Stout

One other note: I am always looking for talented writer/photographers who want to write for Excellence. So you never know what the outcome of taking a stab at this might be... David Colman made his name covering 914s, early 911s, and 356s. I got my start by writing up Ernie King's silver 914-6 GT and through friendships in the P. world made while "restoring" (used loosely!) my 914 in high school.

So you never know where our great cars can take you!

Brad: 1/3 four-color is a good call. Let me know if I can help, but I DO have to keep my distance from the ads side...

Thanks again,

pete
+Quote Post
horizontally-opposed
post Jun 17 2004, 10:05 AM
Post #10

Advanced Member

BTW, Rob: love, Love, LOVE the gray 914! That color was made for the 914.

pete
+Quote Post
Demick
post Jun 17 2004, 10:17 AM
Post #11

Ernie made me do it!

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 257

I'd love to contribute - but think that as one of the organizers of the event my prespective for the article would be all wrong. Ideally, I think the writer would be one of the people who stayed at the Pruneyard Inn and/or partook of the evening activities as well - these are the people who got the complete WCC experience.

2 ideal people come to mind for me: Dave Hunt with his family vacation WCC experience and Mike Ferguson who drove his 914-6 from Colorado to attend. To me, the prespective that die-hard 914 owners like these could bring would make the most interesting reading.

Demick
+Quote Post
horizontally-opposed
post Jun 17 2004, 12:03 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Demick, like your ideas and am down to give anyone a shot -- BUT, one of the hardest things to do well is write about yourself (and not sound like an ass) -- whereas whoever writes this can paint those long-distance heros right.

All that said, there are ALWAYS exceptions. "You Think I'm Crazy" in the May, 2004 issue by Eric Meyer on his own 356 project or Jay Lamm's $500 928 story we ran a year ago or so both show how well the self-told story can be done... Two of the all-time best stories to roll across my desk.

pete
+Quote Post
Brad Roberts
post Jun 17 2004, 02:42 PM
Post #13

914 Freak!

I vote for a out of towner.. I think James wife would do a awesome job. She has attended *other* 914 related gatherings.. so her perspective would be a little different than others who have not attended large out of state gatherings.

B
+Quote Post
Ferg
post Jun 17 2004, 02:52 PM
Post #14

914 Guru

Member No.: 116

A writer i'm not, but seeing a WCC story in Excellence would be too cool. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cool.gif)
Ferg.
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Jun 17 2004, 02:57 PM
Post #15

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121
Region Association: Northern California

I posted several notes to the Rennlist at the time. I'll try to see if I can collect them together and add more verbiage that will help "outsiders" understand. And I'll have to get more info on the Prunyeard festivities--I wound up bailing for the mid-Peninsula... On the advice of my attorney... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

--DD
+Quote Post
richardL
post Jun 17 2004, 03:51 PM
Post #16

Member No.: 201

Another idea might be to have people submit paragraphs or bits and pieces (DDs write ups on the other email list were excellent for instance) and then have someone 'weave it' together into something more like a single article.

My wife (who is a professional writer) is willing to do that, if everybody sends me fragments. This isn't intended to replace any other efforts, but allows people who have something cool to say, to make a contribution without having to commit to a whole article (I know I don't want to write the whole thing (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) )

Just a suggestion.

If Pete wants TIFFs, we need to know how to submit them for consideration as well?

Richard
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Jun 17 2004, 04:09 PM
Post #17

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172
Region Association: Northern California

If I was a better writer I would try it, but because of that, my age, the fact that I am remodeling the backyard (For anyone coming to the Graffiti BBQ this sat), and that I have to detail the 56 Chevy for the show, leads me to have no time.

I would love to see some writing about the event though!

Andrew
+Quote Post
EdwardBlume
post Jun 17 2004, 06:13 PM
Post #18

914 Wizard

Member No.: 81
Region Association: Central California

Since I was a partial organizer and in-town attender, I guess I don't have a friggin clue what the 914 WCC was all about. And if being a "die-hard" 914 person is a requirement- I guess 28 years (since I was 6) of loving 914s is worthless.

The main point is to write an outstanding article that honors the event, its people, and our cars. I don't care who does it as long as it gets done. None of us are the judges either.

I was planning to write a great article, but I guess I don't need to bother. Good luck.
+Quote Post
Brad Roberts
post Jun 17 2004, 06:33 PM
Post #19

914 Freak!

OH.. come on Rob (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) How hard will it be to collaborate with James wife or even Richards wife ?? I "assumed" you wouldnt have time for the writing. I know you are busy.

B
+Quote Post
Jeroen
post Jun 17 2004, 06:42 PM
Post #20

914 Guru

Member No.: 3
Region Association: Europe

This is funny... instead of argueing who's article should be published, we're argueing who's gonna write it (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

cheers,

Jeroen
+Quote Post

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 15th May 2024 - 08:09 PM