Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Windshield replacement
tasfalen
post Jul 29 2004, 01:48 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,239

Well I was driving down town the other day and heard this ungodly bang. Got about a block down the road before I looked at the passenger side of the front windshield and saw the massive fracture.

Go figure - I don't know what it was. Fracture the size of a melon and now the cracks have spread to the bottom and left of the windshield.

Real bummer. So I'm looking to replace it.

1) any special tricks to removing/replacing this piece of glass?

2) if I get a used piece, is it essentially the same piece of glass or did Porsche play around with it in model years?

3) if I can't find a replacement, suggestions on low cost sources somewhere in the NW or preferably, BC, Canada?

Cheers,
Jason
72 914
73 TVR 2500M
76 Lancia Beta coupe
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Jul 29 2004, 02:24 PM
Post #2

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121
Region Association: Northern California

Cut the old one out (cut through the butyl tape glue with a wire or some such), clean up the channel, glue the new one in with 1/4" butyl tape. Fitting the trim is the tricky part...

Probably easier to have a glass shop do it for you. I am told that it's not that much more expensive to get the glass installed than just to buy it and DIY. Some of the SoCal folks paid about $250 all told. (Some areas people were quoted more like $450 installed.)

--DD
+Quote Post
jgiroux67
post Jul 29 2004, 02:31 PM
Post #3

Guitar Shredder

Member No.: 2,157

QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Jul 29 2004, 12:24 PM)
Some of the SoCal folks paid about $250 all told. (Some areas people were quoted more like $450 installed.)

Is that with new glass and all, or is that just for installation?
+Quote Post
Levi
post Jul 29 2004, 03:15 PM
Post #4

Lick my nuts

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,783

You really drove a block before you saw a mellon size fracture in your windshield??
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smoke.gif)
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
balljoint
post Jul 29 2004, 03:16 PM
Post #5

914 Wizard

Member No.: 1,897
Region Association: None

I got one 2 years ago through Speedy Auto Glass in Toronto. They had to order it special, all the way from California, but it was only $250.00 CDN. That was just for the glass, not installed.
+Quote Post
Root_Werks
post Jul 29 2004, 03:18 PM
Post #6

Village Idiot

Member No.: 2,105
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

My 914 has a golf ball size spiderweb in it. I have done some looking arond and found out the 914 windshield is an obsolete design. Oh goody I said. Cheapest one I found was for about $225 (carry out) with no tint. That is in the Seattle area. I should probably jump on it since 3 of the shops I called said they could get them, but for how long? Two others didn't want to try.

So this means someone will start manufacturing them again, but they will be like 356 windshields. Our 914's are getting old enough that supply outwieghs demand. So a windshield will probably go way up in price as the last ones in supply sell over the months/years?

The trim is tricky to not bend it up. A 2" putty knife has worked well for me over the years. OOORRRRR, you can go buy the windshield trim for say an 85 Camaro. It is black rubber and looks/fits nice.
+Quote Post
freezing14
post Jul 30 2004, 07:08 AM
Post #7

freezing14

Member No.: 2,233

I have bought mine a couple of weeks ago in preparation for the reassembly of the car and i got it at the local auto glass shop and i got it new with no tinit for 150 CAD cash and carry, it was a "glass pro" dealer check it out before you buy (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mueba.gif)
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 9th May 2024 - 11:23 PM