Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V  1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Um...uh...this can't be good...., ...anyone wanna see my crack?
naro914
post Dec 16 2011, 03:01 PM
Post #1

Losing my mind...

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,073
Region Association: South East States

So I was having braking issues at our last PCA Club Race - boild the fluid issues. I think the problem was that the front calipers were not releasing from the rotors so it was like dragging the brakes all the time. It's been a long time (never??) since the calipers were rebuilt, and forever for the master cylinder so I decided to do a full brake system overhaul: rebuild all 4 calipers, new MC, new rotors, and new braided SS lines. Other than the caliper rebuild kits, I had all of the other parts already in my spares box, so this was a very cheap, easy winter project.

All that went perfect.

So...silly me, I decide to start scraping the undercoating off of the inside of the wheel wells with the idea I'm going to paint them (the old 'While I'm here' conversation we all have in our heads). As I was scraping, I came upon what I thought was a small crack... Nah, can't be, just surface paint crack, right?

So I investigated further, and... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/yikes.gif)

Attached Image

Attached Image

So...looks like Papa Smurf is getting some welding done (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welder.gif) and a new stiffening kit for Christmas!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
billh1963
post Dec 16 2011, 03:12 PM
Post #2

Car Hoarder!

Member No.: 12,871

QUOTE(naro914 @ Dec 16 2011, 04:01 PM) *

So I was having braking issues at our last PCA Club Race - boild the fluid issues. I think the problem was that the front calipers were not releasing from the rotors so it was like dragging the brakes all the time. It's been a long time (never??) since the calipers were rebuilt, and forever for the master cylinder so I decided to do a full brake system overhaul: rebuild all 4 calipers, new MC, new rotors, and new braided SS lines. Other than the caliper rebuild kits, I had all of the other parts already in my spares box, so this was a very cheap, easy winter project.

All that went perfect.

So...silly me, I decide to start scraping the undercoating off of the inside of the wheel wells with the idea I'm going to paint them (the old 'While I'm here' conversation we all have in our heads). As I was scraping, I came upon what I thought was a small crack... Nah, can't be, just surface paint crack, right?

So...looks like Papa Smurf is getting some welding done (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welder.gif) and a new stiffening kit for Christmas!

Uh Oh....looks like you've be doing some serious flexing! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Dec 16 2011, 03:16 PM
Post #3

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Better than finding out about it at 100mph.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
naro914
post Dec 16 2011, 03:23 PM
Post #4

Losing my mind...

QUOTE(mepstein @ Dec 16 2011, 04:16 PM) *

Better than finding out about it at 100mph.

Yep!

Or 130 going through the Kink at CMP...

So this explains a lot: while the car was sitting on the flat floor of the garage at CMP, the drivers side looked like it was sagging a little. all of us looked at the car from the back and kept thinking something must be wrong with the alignment, ride height, etc. Plus, the rear wheel looked a bit towed out...but we kept thinking it was just the illusion of the angle of the fenders (though the passengers wheel looked fine). And it was handling great so I never suspected anything.

Our plan was to get it realigned this winter...yep, it's DEFINITELY going to get realigned now, huh?

GOOD THING I had brake issues that shortened my 90 minute enduro. This would NEVER have made it 90 minutes...
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Dec 16 2011, 03:29 PM
Post #5

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(naro914 @ Dec 16 2011, 01:01 PM) *
I decide to start scraping the undercoating off of the inside of the wheel wells with the idea I'm going to paint them (the old 'While I'm here' conversation we all have in our heads).

That's why i don't like undercoating or even black paint on the underside of a race car.

You want to be able to see everything before it becomes a problem. Good thing you caught this before it failed. That would have been ugly!
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Dec 16 2011, 03:32 PM
Post #6

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Member No.: 43
Region Association: Northstar Region

Man, nice find! you were on borrowed time! I know Papa Smurf gets put through his paces.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Rand
post Dec 16 2011, 03:47 PM
Post #7

Cross Member

Member No.: 3,573
Region Association: None

Wow, great catch. A good reminder why we need to carefully inspect these cars from time to time, especially the racers.

Looks like a fun winter project. Here's to the strongest Smurf ever. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
Woody
post Dec 16 2011, 03:50 PM
Post #8

Sandbox Rabblerouser and head toilet scrubber

Member No.: 12,530
Region Association: Southwest Region

Does a chassis stiffening kit address that mount?
+Quote Post
scotty b
post Dec 16 2011, 05:28 PM
Post #9

rust free you say ?

Member No.: 3,419

QUOTE(Woody @ Dec 16 2011, 01:50 PM) *

Does a chassis stiffening kit address that mount?

No. That is the actual piece the suspension bolts to. The stiffening kits go around ( above ) that. IMO that area need sto be fully stripped and competently welded. The factory welds are quite bubble gummy and do not have great penetration
+Quote Post
BKLA
post Dec 16 2011, 06:11 PM
Post #10

Really old member

Member No.: 4,590
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

what about that tangerine raised rear pickup point kit? yes, its more work and money, but looks like it really fixes the torsional flexing at the trailing arm connection. It's an upgrade I'm considering in the future. I already have the rear pick up point reinforcing kit to be installed (next project) along with the inner console reinforcing.
+Quote Post
dlee6204
post Dec 16 2011, 06:42 PM
Post #11

Howdy

Member No.: 5,956

Wow that is a good size crack. Good thing you found it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/thumb3d.gif)
+Quote Post
naro914
post Jan 6 2012, 05:21 PM
Post #12

Losing my mind...

update:

So...the crack is worse than it looked...if that's possible.
Got the car over to my shop, took off the suspension, took out the engine, so we could see everything better.
Pictures below are from my camera phone, so that aren't great, but follow along with the arrows and lines: All the red arrows are the same crack, two different pictures, opposite sides of the rear outside suspension mount. The yellow line in two pictures is the reference point so you can see the continuity ( you guys dont need it as you know what you're looking at, but some of my buddies are not 914 guys)
The green arrows are ANOTHER series of cracks...

Oh, and I just got a text a bit ago from my mechanic saying that the metal around the front suspension mount points (the 3 bolts way at the front) are cracked too...

Guess we've been stressing Papa Smurf just a little too much???

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Jan 6 2012, 05:27 PM
Post #13

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

Damn ... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/chowtime.gif)
+Quote Post
scotty b
post Jan 6 2012, 05:28 PM
Post #14

rust free you say ?

Member No.: 3,419

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif) WOW (IMG:style_emoticons/default/barf.gif)
+Quote Post
PeeGreen 914
post Jan 6 2012, 05:31 PM
Post #15

Just when you think you're done...wait, there is more..lol

Member No.: 6,884
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Man, THAT'S a lot of crack.

So are you going to fix it all up with raising the whole thing..ala Tangerine kit?
+Quote Post
naro914
post Jan 6 2012, 05:33 PM
Post #16

Losing my mind...

The most amazing thing is that the last time it was driven, was in the PCA Club Race at CMP. I was doing GREAT, almost keeping up with a couple cup cars (OK, kinda keeping up, but still...I'm driving a 74 914!) and I only stopped because the throttle cable popped off...and I was having braking issues. I NEVER felt handling issues.

I only ran 6 laps of the 90 minute enduro (about 11 minutes). it's a good thing I had the issues, or this would have let go and put me in a wall or something....
+Quote Post
EdwardBlume
post Jan 6 2012, 05:36 PM
Post #17

914 Wizard

Member No.: 81
Region Association: Central California

That's pretty scary... especially for folks with a race car in the garage. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)
+Quote Post
stugray
post Jan 6 2012, 06:06 PM
Post #18

Advanced Member

Member No.: 10,819

So SELL all the crack to raise enough $$ for a new roller......

Seriously, it looks like you were close to "non-linear catastrophic structural exasperation" (Douglas Adams).

It makes me want to check my rear susp. as I had a cracked ear and was about to put it back together.
ground control rears are on already with reinforced trailing arms.
All that would be useless if I had cracks like that lurking...

Stu
+Quote Post
dlee6204
post Jan 6 2012, 06:24 PM
Post #19

Howdy

Member No.: 5,956

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/new_shocked.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shocked[1].gif)
+Quote Post
moggy
post Jan 6 2012, 06:27 PM
Post #20

Member No.: 3,285

QUOTE(naro914 @ Dec 16 2011, 01:01 PM) *

All that went perfect.

You need this kit from CFR (ignore the longs reinforcements):

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i31.photobucket.com-179-1325907905.1.jpg)

It would have probably prevented that. Here it is installed in my car:

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i31.photobucket.com-179-1325907905.2.jpg)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i31.photobucket.com-179-1325907906.3.jpg)
+Quote Post

4 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 06:13 AM