Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V  1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Project 914 1.8T, Some pics of the conversion...
914_1.8t
post Sep 25 2004, 07:14 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,149

I've enjoyed seeing pics of everyones cars and buildups. Few people wanted me to post some pics of the work in progress and I finally found my digital camera, so here are a few pics:

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
914_1.8t
post Sep 25 2004, 07:16 PM
Post #2

Above was a pic from the back showing the sub-frame mounted to engine.
Below is another pic of engine:

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
914_1.8t
post Sep 25 2004, 07:17 PM
Post #3

Pic of ground/engine clearance from under car:

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
914_1.8t
post Sep 25 2004, 07:18 PM
Post #4

Pic from below of turbo almost hitting battery tray...I may just remove the battery tray and relocate the battery to the back.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
914_1.8t
post Sep 25 2004, 07:19 PM
Post #5

Seat that I will be using (from late model RX7) and calble shifter from Boxster. Currently test fitting (deciding) where to place the shifter. I guess i'll place it little higher and towards the back than a usually 914 shifter:

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
914_1.8t
post Sep 25 2004, 07:22 PM
Post #6

I pushed the fender out sightly (about 2"), when the car is not on jackstands the tire is tucked and there is about 1/2" between tire and fender. The wheels are 16x7" by the way. I've got some 180lb spring on the way (from d914) and will see how it sits once they are installed. May just have to get some glass flares:

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
914_1.8t
post Sep 25 2004, 07:26 PM
Post #7

So, i've managed to get the motor started but still need to hook up the coolant lines and take to muffler shop to have exhaust and muffler put on.

Now i just need to make up my damm mind on what to do about the axles. I think I can use the stock 914 axle on one side and a 911 axle on the other with 911 stubs (since the axle lengths need to be a little different). I'm thinking I can have someone make me some adapters (similar to whell adapters) that will bolt to the audi tranny and also the the 911/914 axles and fill in the 2-3" that sit between the inner cv an tranny.

Anyone here know of a place that may be able to make me some for a good price? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

Man I need to do less of this (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer3.gif) and more of this (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sawzall-smiley.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welder.gif) and get the car on the road.
+Quote Post
Hi_Fi_Guy
post Sep 25 2004, 07:55 PM
Post #8

Tuetonic terror

Member No.: 1,019

Very cool project. Besides all the obvius stuff we will want to know when you get her back on the street (performance, temps, etc.) please be sure to post something about how the cable shifter works out for you.
+Quote Post
bob91403
post Sep 25 2004, 08:10 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 2,763

Seat looks good. Does it give enough room for the ebrake?
+Quote Post
scotty914
post Sep 26 2004, 01:44 AM
Post #10

suby torque rules

Member No.: 924

quik ? which tranny are you using

and how do you like the boxter shifter
how much was it

scott thacher

914 suby powered sort of
+Quote Post
914_1.8t
post Sep 26 2004, 09:50 AM
Post #11

QUOTE(scott thacher @ Sep 25 2004, 11:44 PM)
quik ? which tranny are you using

and how do you like the boxter shifter
how much was it

scott thacher

914 suby powered sort of

Hi Fi Guy:
I'll be sure to post the performance numbers as well as the other stuff once I get it on the road. The turbo i'm using has the flow capacity (on this engine) to put down ~320WHP on pump gas...that translates to about about 360 horses. My goal was to be able have a car with excellent handling and be able to put down low 12's in the 1/4 mile when I started this project. But with the power to weight ratio that it is going to provide.....might be able to get into mid 11's?

I'll probobly get two tunes....one for pump gas and one for 100/104 octane, the 100/104 tune should be able to put down ~350whp (~395-400 crank) i think.

I hoping the stock water pump/radiator/fan from the a4 can keep the engine cool.

Bob91403:
I'ts very tight and I can fit the ebrake in there but will rub the seat. I am probobly going to end up relocating the ebrake to the middle...near the shifter.

Scott Thacher:
I'm using the tranny out of a FWD A4 2.8 V6. I think the shifter is going to work out well, I can position it whereever I want and also should be adjust the throw depending on the way I hook it up to the tranny. I picked up the cable shifter for ~$150 from a salvage yard.
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Sep 26 2004, 09:56 AM
Post #12

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

what's the story with what looks like wood in picture #4? interesting conversion. the red in the tunnel looks some what alarming.

kevin
+Quote Post
neo914-6
post Sep 26 2004, 10:11 AM
Post #13

neo life

Member No.: 159

Nice work! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif) Mike mentioned your conversion last night when we were (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer3.gif) at Jason's. I'd like to see it up close.

Is the tranny offset because of engine clearance in the bay? There are custom axle companies in VW mags. Renegade uses a spacer adapter for their heavy duty axles but probably not the same length. How much room do you have between the engine the firewall ?

Felix
+Quote Post
Carrera916
post Sep 26 2004, 12:38 PM
Post #14

Member No.: 273

Wow, that looks cool!

Did I missed something somewhere?....I wasn't sure what engine you put in now but noticed the mentioned of a4 transmission....you mean you got an a4 1.8T engine in the car? That would be a super car to drive!

I'm an Audi TQ Avant owner and I LOVE these Audi turbo babies but never had the opportunity to drive a4, a6, a8 or even all line of S-line babes yet....only the old Audi turbos....gotta try these newer models sooon!

Keep us post and man, I might do the same thing as I'm watching Mueller doing his with the VR6, too!! Way to go!!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)

j
+Quote Post
scotty914
post Sep 26 2004, 01:35 PM
Post #15

suby torque rules

Member No.: 924

the reason i asked about the tranny is i am part way in to a suby 2.5 swap ( havent touched her in a year ) and i figure at some point i will need a tranny and i saw this : http://www.lambolounge.com/Chassis/Transmi...n/5000/5000.asp and was wondering about audi tranny heck this one is even basicly a porsche one. and then i would need a shifter.

also i figured this tranny would be a better rpm to speed to hp match in a nice light weight car where i dont need a lower ratio for high way

scott
suby powered and running someday (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sawzall-smiley.gif)
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Sep 27 2004, 12:34 PM
Post #16

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87
Region Association: None

the install looks good, I'd cover up the opening to the turbo, hate to see something fall into it (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

I think this motor/transmission install is a better choice than my VR6...oh well (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
914_1.8t
post Sep 27 2004, 01:05 PM
Post #17

rhodyguy:
The pic is taken from under the car...that's my roof you are seeing.
Some gas spilled in the tunnel when I disconnected the tubes to place new ones...the next day I saw a lot of red. I think it can be easily cleaned up and is not deep rust.

Jaider....:
There a good amount of room in between. I think over a foot at the bottom..(pic #3 shows this). Up top there's enough room form my PWR air/water incooler to fit in.

Carrera916:
Yes, 1.8t engine+tranny from a4 FWD. I've also got a 1.8t Passat that i've had for over 5 years. You can see it in the back on the last pic. I really like this engine.

ScottThacher:
I could have gotten a 914 tranny beefed up and got the adapter pieces made and have to buy a flywheel/clutch on top of that. I figured that the gear ratios would be better with the a4 tranny. I rather tackle the axle issue than the work involved with mating the 914 tranny. Not saying the 914 tranny isn't good...but I don't know too much about them.

If i didnt get a killer deal on the 1.8t engine/tranny combo, I would have got a s4 6spd and used that instead. It also bolts right up.

Mueller:
Yeah, I should cover that opening up, hate to fire it up and hear it go bang because something flew in there.

Ther VR6 motor has got some good potential if you plan on tuning it. Why don't you go with a tranny that bolts right up the VR6 and get the axles made as I am doing. I think the gear ratios would be more favorable and the tranny is stronger itself than the 914's. I saw some on car-part.com between $400-$500.
+Quote Post
freezing14
post Sep 27 2004, 01:18 PM
Post #18

freezing14

Member No.: 2,233

the idea of puting a S4 engine and tranny has been in my head since I got my own 914 , I also have a real 2000 S4 as my daily driver and the power is out of this world ,, but the S4 tyranny is set up to be AWD what would you do with the tail end of it that goes to the rear axle,, does it just spins free, how about the front/ rear diff,, would would need to swap some inside or use the combo S4 engine with A4 tranny?? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Sep 27 2004, 01:27 PM
Post #19

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87
Region Association: None

Ther VR6 motor has got some good potential if you plan on tuning it. Why don't you go with a tranny that bolts right up the VR6 and get the axles made as I am doing. I think the gear ratios would be more favorable and the tranny is stronger itself than the 914's. I saw some on car-part.com between $400-$500.

i thought all of the VR6 factory installs are FWD with the tranmissions being "true" tranaxles running the wrong direction. (left/right)

freezing14,

look at the link that Scott T. posted, they are using the audi boxes, i think they go over what to do with the rear drive output.
+Quote Post
914_1.8t
post Sep 27 2004, 01:53 PM
Post #20

QUOTE(Mueller @ Sep 27 2004, 11:27 AM)
i thought all of the VR6 factory installs are FWD with the tranmissions being "true" tranaxles running the wrong direction. (left/right)

Not sure what you mean.

But you do need to get a limited slip for these trannys. I'll probobly wait until next year to get one for the 914.
+Quote Post

4 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 05:27 AM