Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> smj's 914-6 clean-up thread, I never created one of these? Huh.
smj
post May 24 2012, 04:08 AM
Post #1

"Dude, Steve from Berkeley."

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,691
Region Association: Northern California

Apparently I was waiting for something before I started a thread for work on my 914-6. Whatever - the car stopped turning over while I was between mechanics and wound up sitting with a dead PermaTune box for a couple years. Better late than never, I'll start the thread now...

It's a factory 914-6 that was modified and repainted before I got it. Steel slant-nose, Brembo GT brakes up front, old fronts moved to the rear (and original rears long gone), 3.0 liter SC motor with Webers, 6 & 7 x 16 Fuchs from an '86 Carrera, etc. Started out in Signal Orange, but it's been through at least two color changes since then (white, then black). And as of late May 2012, the odometer has just clicked over 00,000 miles (believed to be the first time based on included paperwork).

VIN # 914 043 2486
Orig Engine # 64? ???? (need to order COA)
Trans # 750 2505
Karmann body # 132566 (stamped inboard of lock, floor of rear trunk)

Here's the standard shot of the car from pictures taken after I took delivery.

Attached Image

Edit 8/2014: Added various ID numbers
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
smj
post May 24 2012, 04:19 AM
Post #2

Let's get to the revival. The car stopped catching even with Thrust (starter fluid, ether, etc). As I was trying to figure out if I was still getting spark, I caught a flash from the vicinity of the PermaTune box out of the corner of my eye, then nothing's working. The car then sits as I tried to find a new mechanic (different story)...

Fast forward to 2012 and I finally call Tom Amon of Mobile Works West. Tom's a long-time Porsche mechanic and best of all, he makes house calls! He comes out, replaces the PermaTune box, works over the carbs for a bit, and gets the car to turn over. In the process, he noticed that somebody had put the secondary venturis in backwards, so that's been fixed too...

Here's a shot of the bonus fumigation service. Now I can skip this year's termite inspection...

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
smj
post May 24 2012, 04:31 AM
Post #3

I changed the oil because it had sat for a couple years, even though I'd only put ~360 miles on the car. Then Tom wanted me to put a few hundred miles on the car before trying to decide if I really needed a rebuild or not. Maybe it would be smoking from oil getting by the rings, and maybe it wouldn't with some use...

Problem was, whenever I would run the car I would get a fair bit of fluid flying out of the oil tank breather - a mix of oil and condensate getting on the engine/tin and dripping down onto the hot exhaust, causing a lot of smoke. Here's what the original positioning of the breather was like - a K&N filter rigged to some hose and pipe, hanging out almost over the valve cover. In this photo you can see that there's already some dripping from the base of the filter onto the engine bay wall below.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
smj
post May 24 2012, 04:42 AM
Post #4

I finally rigged a solution tonight. With some radiator hose and a coolant reservoir from the FLAPS and some hose clamps from Ace, I was ready to go. First I removed the K&N filter and the bits that connected it to the filler neck.

Then I used some picture hanging wire through the slot in the relay board to keep this temporary catch tank upright and in-place. I figure if I get up on two wheels and this fails, I've got bigger problems. Then I attached the 1" radiator hose to the filler neck, clamped it, and inserted 6 inches or so into the catch tank.

It'll take a while to clean all the pockets of oil+stuff out of the engine bay, or let them burn off the exhaust. But after that maybe I can get a better picture of what's coming out of the tailpipe.

In the meantime the tailshifter is driving me crazy - it's every bit as vague as my old beater Golf III was. But that's a big topic...

Edit: Typo corrected.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
carr914
post May 24 2012, 05:35 AM
Post #5

Racer from Birth
****************************************************************************************************

Member No.: 1,623
Region Association: South East States

Tom Amon is a Great Guy, wish he made House Calls to Florida. Tell him I said Hi (IMG:style_emoticons/default/bye1.gif)
+Quote Post
falconfp2001
post May 24 2012, 12:44 PM
Post #6

Pancho Pantera

Member No.: 12,456
Region Association: Southwest Region

QUOTE(smj @ May 24 2012, 03:08 AM) *

Apparently I was waiting for something before I started a thread for work on my 914-6. Whatever - the car stopped turning over while I was between mechanics and wound up sitting with a dead PermaTune box for a couple years. Better late than never, I'll start the thread now...

It's a factory 914-6 that was modified before I got it. Steel slant-nose, Brembo GT brakes up front, old fronts moved to the rear (and no emergency brake), 3.0 liter SC motor with Webers, 6 & 7 x 16 Fuchs from an '86 Carrera, etc. Started out in Signal Orange, but it's been through at least two color changes since then (white, then black). And as of late May 2012, the odometer has just clicked over 00,000 miles (believed to be the first time).

Here's the standard shot of the car from pictures taken after I took delivery.

Love the look of that car. Are the front fenders shaved? Looks like stock rear fenders that are pulled a little to make room for the 7" Fuchs.

I like that look on the front.
+Quote Post
smj
post May 26 2012, 02:33 AM
Post #7

QUOTE(falconfp2001 @ May 24 2012, 10:44 AM) *
Are the front fenders shaved? Looks like stock rear fenders that are pulled a little to make room for the 7" Fuchs.
I don't have a read on how the front fenders were modified. So I don't know if the whole fender was cut off and replaced with kit parts, or if the tops were cut down and patched on top, and maybe pulled in a bit from the sides as it approaches the nose.

The rear fenders might be altered a little, but there was intense rubbing at the lip with the 225/50-16's a P.O. had fitted. Changing from the 225s to 205s took care of that in back. There had been 205s up front already, and there's a little rubbing when you have a lot of steering input (inner fender wall at a guess).

I'm still not sure how I'd like to handle the rear fenders, but I don't think it will be with the traditional squarish GT flares. Just doesn't seem to fit, to me.
+Quote Post
GeorgeRud
post May 26 2012, 06:58 AM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 4,482
Region Association: Upper MidWest

There was a -6 in Chicago years ago that had the front fenders shaved like yours, and had 911SC flares put on the rear. Belonged to a local dentist, but eventually had an engine fire and we lost track of it after the owner died. Like yours, it was a nice looking conversion.
+Quote Post
falconfp2001
post May 26 2012, 10:35 AM
Post #9

Pancho Pantera

Member No.: 12,456
Region Association: Southwest Region

QUOTE(smj @ May 26 2012, 01:33 AM) *

QUOTE(falconfp2001 @ May 24 2012, 10:44 AM) *
Are the front fenders shaved? Looks like stock rear fenders that are pulled a little to make room for the 7" Fuchs.
I don't have a read on how the front fenders were modified. So I don't know if the whole fender was cut off and replaced with kit parts, or if the tops were cut down and patched on top, and maybe pulled in a bit from the sides as it approaches the nose.

The rear fenders might be altered a little, but there was intense rubbing at the lip with the 225/50-16's a P.O. had fitted. Changing from the 225s to 205s took care of that in back. There had been 205s up front already, and there's a little rubbing when you have a lot of steering input (inner fender wall at a guess).

I'm still not sure how I'd like to handle the rear fenders, but I don't think it will be with the traditional squarish GT flares. Just doesn't seem to fit, to me.

CFR makes the nicest looking stock fenders that give you additional room in the rear. I would prefer to go that route as I like the stock look but wold prefer wider tires.
+Quote Post
Randal
post May 26 2012, 10:47 AM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 750

QUOTE(carr914 @ May 24 2012, 04:35 AM) *

Tom Amon is a Great Guy, wish he made House Calls to Florida. Tell him I said Hi (IMG:style_emoticons/default/bye1.gif)

+1

Ha, he'd probably make the trip, you'd just have to pay mileage. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Tom is always there (24 x 7) when you get into trouble, especially the night before a race and something goes wrong.

He had a fantastic 914 all set up for racing that he recently sold. Pretty trick and all it needed was a motor. Ummm...wonder who got that car?
+Quote Post
smj
post Jun 1 2012, 01:50 AM
Post #11

QUOTE(falconfp2001 @ May 26 2012, 08:35 AM) *
CFR makes the nicest looking stock fenders that give you additional room in the rear. I would prefer to go that route as I like the stock look but wold prefer wider tires.

I'll have a look at CFR's rear fenders, then. For now it's good enough to run 205's until I get other bits of the car sorted. I do recall seeing some cars with 911SC front flares worked into the rear fenders and thought that looked like it might be a good solution. I think Toast's car was setup that way at WCR2007.
+Quote Post
smj
post Jun 1 2012, 02:06 AM
Post #12

While I was doing my first oil change on this car the other week I was able to confirm that it had the original 914/01 transaxle installed. (Attached photo shows the factory stamp, "914/01 7502505")

My recent adventure with CV bolts has me thinking about potential half shaft replacements, not to mention transaxle replacements. I've picked through an ungodly number of threads and product pages, including SirAndy's 944 CV thread in Classics of course, but the range of options (and costs!) still has my head spinning. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

I'm gonna have to reach some kind of decision soon though, I'm not willing to just park the -6 until I figure something out... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Jun 1 2012, 06:51 AM
Post #13

Michael

Member No.: 9,712

Hi Steve: I saw your car at the Wash 'n Shine at the Livery last weekend. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/bye1.gif)
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
smj
post Jun 1 2012, 04:37 PM
Post #14

QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Jun 1 2012, 04:51 AM) *

Hi Steve: I saw your car at the Wash 'n Shine at the Livery last weekend. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/bye1.gif)

Cool -- hi Michael!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/bye1.gif) Sorry if I wasn't there to chat, I spent a lot of time running around with a camera. Which reminds me, I have to get the rest of those pics uploaded... I'll post a link in another thread when they're up.
+Quote Post
smj
post Jun 3 2012, 02:49 PM
Post #15

Saturday I went to the FLAPS for more bullet fuses, because these are not the fuses you're looking for...

Attached Image

(Double the spec'd rating for the four left headlight fuses, and the other reds on the right.)

I believe they were used because they had 16A fuses on hand and lots of empty holders, not to make up for any operational issues. (Responding to sound advice here: http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...74&st=1060# ). But half the time the headlights, running lights, and blinkers wouldn't work until I changed them to the proper 8A fuses.

So far no proof that anything was damaged by this, though I do have one headlight that won't, er, light. So, off to dig up the multimeter...
+Quote Post
smj
post Jun 4 2012, 01:53 AM
Post #16

Today's exercise was the headlights - I had one screw on the passenger side retaining ring that was rusted into place, and the driver side headlight wasn't working. Some CRC "Freeze-Off" took care of the stuck screw where WD40 alone had failed. Wound up soaking all of the screws for a bit to beat back the surface rust, then rinsing, drying, and using just a little anti-seize before putting them back on.

Anti-seize is like glitter - no matter how much time you spend trying to find and remove it all, your wife/girlfriend is going to find some on you...

On the driver side headlight, the ground was bad. Or at least that was enough to get it working again, there are some ugly splices where the three prong headlight connector was replaced. Somebody also added a local ground, just on that side. A supplemental brown wire is run out to a four-way spade lug connector screwed to the outside of the bucket -- which was then painted by somebody, and the lug used for the headlight ground was only partially cleaned... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif) The slider was also pretty loose when fully on the lug, so I took some pliers to it and now it makes a nice tight connection.

So now instead of some really beat Cibie H4 lights, I've got the Hella H4s I salvaged from my 944S. I didn't notice anything like a date code, but the Cibies lack the three automated aiming points.

Next up is either using the spray degreaser I got at the FLAPS to finish removing the stuff that used to puke out from the breather port/filter, or try to figure out why the tacho isn't working. Maybe have a look behind the gauges and see what that area's like, then check the transaxle end.
+Quote Post
smj
post Jun 17 2012, 01:50 AM
Post #17

Catching this thread up, I ordered a few pounds of bolts and lock washers from Fastenal - opted for Schnorrs instead of Nord-Locks, but it could easily have gone the other way. Received a box of CV gaskets, boots (probably too small, erk), flanges, and grease. Anyway step one is to inspect and repack the CVs I've got already. I did grab a pair of spacers from Aaron Cox for a later switch to 944 half shafts. (cf. http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=80641)

I had fun discovering how different the 914-6's shift linkage is from any of the -4 linkages, tail- or side-shifter. http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=187814

I've got more bushings on order, probably being held up waiting for some parts for the 968 so they can all ship at once. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif) Sokay, I need to go figure out roll pins before I tackle that.

I spent a good chunk of Saturday/yesterday learning about the 914-6's unique hand-throttle linkage. http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=188482

I also took out the pedal board, which is toast - the plywood has completely separated and longs to become one with the mud.

Attached Image

So I guess it's time to go shopping for a replacement for that. But hey now... The pedal cluster itself isn't looking so hot. Might have to go dig up some of Eric Shea's old posts about how he reconditions those.

Attached Image

The stereo in this thing is amazingly complete, mostly working and period-correct so far as I can tell. I might start pulling that next with a view to selling it to fund ongoing work...
+Quote Post
smj
post Jul 2 2012, 03:13 AM
Post #18

I've had some equipment failures recently. I did get some lumber for a couple saw horses, figuring the leftover bits could be useful for jacking pads. Since I discovered I didn't have a big enough socket for the stub axle nut, all I accomplished this weekend was actually jacking the car from the front and rear. But I noticed a couple things along the way...

This, for example, does not look good. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

Attached Image

That's forward of the passenger footwell, nose of the car is to picture left. And yes it's rusted completely through bottom and side along that lower edge.

I also found two cut wires coming into the engine bay, and am wondering what they might be. I grabbed the Haynes for the 911 and looked around for the oil temp sensor, but didn't find anything - though I did get the part number to confirm that the oil cooler on the side of the motor is the original Behr 914-6 unit (901.107.059.01). Forgot to check top-side for the pressure switch/sender...

Driver side first:

Attached Image

Passenger side:
Attached Image

While under the front, I also noticed that the/a horn had been relocated (?) to the driver side front wheel well. And perhaps the reason it isn't working is that both wires had broken off at some point... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)
+Quote Post
jtf914
post Jul 2 2012, 04:40 AM
Post #19

Member No.: 58
Region Association: North East States

Those look like the heater cables. They open the valves to let heat into the cabin from the heat exchangers.

Oil pressure sensor is topside next to the oil line that comes off the top of the case. - Edit -
+Quote Post
smj
post Jul 2 2012, 02:41 PM
Post #20

Thanks, that would make sense I guess - driver- and passenger-side heat. Should've checked the -4 first. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/slap.gif)

And thanks for the tip on the oil temp sensor, I guess the diagram I was following of the 911motor was logical - had me looking for it near one of the hard lines below.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th April 2024 - 05:35 PM