Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Hey JP!, I got me some tiars!
nine14cats
post Dec 18 2004, 11:19 PM
Post #1

Bill Pickering -- 914-6 GT aka....Leeloo

Group: Members
Member No.: 287
Region Association: None

Hi JP,

Just for you, a little info and pics of tires (tiars (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) )....

Background....I like slicks...Goodyears or Hoosiers....but I'm faster on Hoosiers on the track...haven't figured it out.

My new car has a Sheridan narrow body kit and raised suspension points, including new boxes in the front. I talked to Roger Sheridan about this and he suggested using Hoosiers because of their liking a little negative camber and come in some different sizes.

I will try two combinations.

1. (4) 23x11.5x16 Hoosier bias ply slicks all around or
2. (2) 22x10x16 Hoosier slicks up front and (2) 23x11.5x16 slicks out back.

Roger says they should fit since the body kit was designed for a Goodyear combo of
(4) 23x10.5x16 Goodyears......

All combo's will be on 16x10 rims.

For wheels I have a set of (4) 16x10 HRE 3 piece mesh rims that came with the car. 3 are in good shape and one is bent slightly....ok for auto-x...track...I don't know if I like it...

I ordered (8) 16x10 Diamond Racing Wheel "Avenger" series road race rims last week. For 16x10 applications they come pretty much ready for a Porsche 914 with flares. The HRE's that fit the car come with a 5 5/8" neg backspacing. Diamond does half inch increments so I ordered the 16x10's with 5 3/4" backspacing. Roger Sheridan says that this is the backspacing that his kit was designed for.

On 16x10 rims Diamond also has the 5x130mm bolt spacing and drills them to 60 degree tapered lug nuts....standard Porsche stuff. You may hear that they do 45 degree tapers on their wheels and this is true, but mostly on the 14 and 15" wheels. Also, Diamond can only get the above mentioned backspacing on the 16x10's. The bells on the rims cannot accomodate the backspacing on a 16x8.

The best part of the deal is price....~$145 per wheel! A new BBS 3 piece or a replacement HRE was quoted to me at ~$800 each! I ordered 2 sets for the price of 1.5 BBS'.....

The Diamond wheels are ~2lbs heavier each wheel...but I couldn't pass up the price. I'll let everyone know how they are once I get them.

On the HPH fenders you are putting on...16x10 rims with 22x10x16 Hoosier slicks would fit under there...the section width is about a third of an inch wider the canti's and the tread width is half and inch wider....but the sidewall profile is really spread out....me thinks I'll like the turn in of the car when I get to drive...

Here's some pics for kicks.

Bill P.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
nine14cats
post Dec 18 2004, 11:20 PM
Post #2

Fronts...

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
nine14cats
post Dec 18 2004, 11:20 PM
Post #3

Rears

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
J P Stein
post Dec 18 2004, 11:57 PM
Post #4

Irrelevant old fart

Member No.: 45

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/drooley.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/drooley.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/drooley.gif)

I need some of themens....wheels, tyars ....the whole kit & kabootle. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Question: 5 inch back space (on my car) requires spacers. Even when I decamber the rear to -1 deg, with the cantis I figure I'll need a 1/2 inch spacer to clear the inner fender when the tire is side loaded. You're going with 3/4 more backspace?
No inner fender no mo?

Ever since I realized the amount of space I'm gonna have, I've been poring over the Hoosier website. There's an (IIRC) 11 X 22 X 16 in R35.......(edit) ops 11 X 23.5X 16 like your'n.
+Quote Post
Bruce Allert
post Dec 19 2004, 12:06 AM
Post #5

Hellions asleep

Member No.: 441
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

My Gawd (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ohmy.gif) Dems some bigass'd tiars (IMG:style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif)

JP... you gunna haf'ta install pow'r steer'n wit dem on da front (IMG:style_emoticons/default/burnout.gif)

....b
+Quote Post
Trekkor
post Dec 19 2004, 01:32 PM
Post #6

I do things...

Member No.: 1,413
Region Association: Northern California

Bill, how can you stand it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif)

Parts everywhere, all coming together to form the dream 914 racer. I love huge tires.

How do you sleep? Congrats (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)

KT
+Quote Post
nine14cats
post Dec 19 2004, 02:10 PM
Post #7

Hi Trekkor,

It used to be really bad...I was having withdrawls from not running during the season. I even stopped looking at this website because I knew there was no hope of running. But then I accepted that building a racecar on a budget has no timeline....so I'm okay again. Now I just control what I can with the part of the build I have and keep my fingers in the other parts.

Getting the tub in shape has been a major chore for Scott Yeaman and Brad. It wasn't like the tub was pristine and ready to go. Braces to be welded, body panels to fit, taking the tub to bare metal....it goes on and on....and it's like the last priority on their agenda.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

But once all the parts of the puzzle are in my hands...WATCH OUT!...we'll be making tracks....I have it pretty much scheduled out.

The key is getting the tub prepped and sorted. I want the thing to be clean and pretty. This is my last shot at it with a 914....although as I build this thing out I'm starting to have thoughts of making a switch with the drive train at the last minute to a..........911!....Yes....I've found a cool 911 with all the bells and whistles minus the engine. It even has the trans in it still.....

Do I go to the dark side?????? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif)

Stay tuned.....muuuuuhhhhuuuuhhhhaaaaaahaaaaa.....

Just thinking out loud....although Doris says pick one or the other....she doesn't want 2 race cars......go figure (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif) lightweight 914 for auto-x.....superfast 911 for track....

A fella can dream, can't he????? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

Bill P.
+Quote Post
nine14cats
post Dec 19 2004, 02:31 PM
Post #8

Hi JP,

The backspacing is a "fun" issue. After you see pics of the new car when it's done...there's not much left there to rub against....but I'm gonna run HUGE spacers to clear the brake caliper set up I have.

On my old car...I ran the canti's with 43mm (1.7") spacers in back while running -1.5deg camber in order to clear the inners....my new car will have -0.7 to 0.9deg.

The canti's are on a 7 inch rim but the cantilever itself is just .3" narrower than the 22x10x16 Hoosier, so spacing on my car will be very similar to the canti's when I run the 16x10's. I'm just not sure how it will all fit together with the larger tires in back if I run 23.5x11.5x16's. When I look at them, they are WIDE! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)

But I've seen them on other Sheridan bodied cars....so they fit somehow.

Tire Tread Width Section Width Diameter Maker
---- ----------------- ----------------- ------------ --------
23x9.5x15 (canti) 9.2 10.4 22.8 Hoosier
22x10x16 9.7 10.7 22.9 Hoosier
23x10.5x16 10.1 11.8 23.8 Goodyear
23x11.5x16 11.0 12.5 23.8 Hoosier

I'll pull my old race car out of the trailer today and pull a fender off and take some pics with the canti's and the HRE 16" rims with the Goodyear's that are on them. I'll try fitting them with no spacers, 28mm spacers, and 43mm spacers...should be entertaining at the least (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

Thanks,

Bill P.
+Quote Post
J P Stein
post Dec 19 2004, 04:46 PM
Post #9

Irrelevant old fart

Hay, Bill:
I'd forgoten how much wider the cantis (or my Hoosier SO4s) are compared to the 7 inch wheel.....brain fade (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif)

None the less (iza't one wurd?), it will be interesting to hear the results of your fitments. I need a crash test dummy to run interference on this deal (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

One fender 3/4 installed.....film at eleven. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cool.gif)
+Quote Post
nine14cats
post Dec 19 2004, 04:57 PM
Post #10

Hey JP,

I e-mailed one of the local guys here in the region who has a hot 914-6 setup using the Sheridan flares, 16x10 rims and 22x10x16 Hoosier slicks. He said he'll call me with his backspacing measurements. That will at least give us somewhere to start.....

I left a message with Diamond to not build my rims till I get a few more measurements. I'm sure I'm okay...since the old rims fit the new car....but maybe by playing around with the backspacing I don't have to use as big of spacers. Then I can have the meaner look of deep dish rims.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)

Looking forward to the news at eleven on the flares....

Bill P.
+Quote Post
J P Stein
post Dec 19 2004, 05:12 PM
Post #11

Irrelevant old fart

QUOTE(nine14cats @ Dec 19 2004, 02:57 PM)

Looking forward to the news at eleven on the flares....

Bill P.

Sorry, I didn't mean to alarm you.....I was just curious.

I guess I'd better get back to work on them fenders.....lunch break is over. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)
+Quote Post
Trekkor
post Dec 19 2004, 06:09 PM
Post #12

I do things...

Bill, a 911, huh?

I always thought a well prepped 914 ( like yours ) will beat all the field. A BIG engined 914 with a super race gearbox should be ultra competitive. Don't you think?

It's been my understanding that nobody puts the parts into the 914's like they they do the 911's.

Why are there no 914's in the Porsche Supercup?
Is it possible that a high prepped 914 can't be beat?

Tell me something?

KT
+Quote Post
Porsche Rescue
post Dec 19 2004, 07:24 PM
Post #13

Saving and Enjoying Old Porsches

Member No.: 64

Mild hi-jack by the ignorant: You guys talk about spacers, some real thick like 1.7". What about studs? Does that mean you have to pull the hubs and press in studs that are damn near 2" longer than stock? Enlighten me please (and limit the ridicule if possible, holiday spirit you know).
+Quote Post
J P Stein
post Dec 19 2004, 07:26 PM
Post #14

Irrelevant old fart

Jeeze, Bill. I'd hate to see you become "just another 9eleben puke", but to be a "cool Porsche track guy", ya gotta have one. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif)

Oh well, it'll make it easier for us to wax you at AX (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/laugh.gif)
+Quote Post
nine14cats
post Dec 19 2004, 07:31 PM
Post #15

Hi Jim,

Yep...with large spacers you need longer studs....with us 5 lug guys you can purchase studs up to 100mm in length. Those things are long....on my car, I've got the 73mm variety.

JP,

I'm not in a 911 yet....besides, as we all know, I have a small fortune tied up in the new car....I'll be a 914 guy....gotta spank those 911 guys for fun!

Bill P.
+Quote Post
J P Stein
post Dec 19 2004, 07:31 PM
Post #16

Irrelevant old fart

Jimbob:
To run any spacer, you gotta put in longer studs. To get 9 turns of thread, I had to go to longer studs with a 7mm spacer.
Thicker ones bolt to the wheel using the normal studs and have studs of their own ....like an adaptor.....but stout.
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Dec 19 2004, 07:39 PM
Post #17

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87

Why are there no 914's in the Porsche Supercup?
Is it possible that a high prepped 914 can't be beat?

It's a spec series, cars spec'd out have to be a 911 and a certain year and follow the same guidelines, yadda--yadda (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smile.gif)

I always thought a well prepped 914 ( like yours ) will beat all the field. A BIG engined 914 with a super race gearbox should be ultra competitive. Don't you think?

sure, until someone throws even more money and talent into a 911...or they change the rules to try to make the playing field even....this is what has happened to Sheridan, he and his car are so damn good, the rules change to let the other guys catch up....
+Quote Post
Trekkor
post Dec 19 2004, 07:58 PM
Post #18

I do things...

I guess my point is that if you put the parts in a 914 and can drive, you'll be TTOD at a/x and Time Trial no matter who shows up with what... (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/wink.gif)

KT
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 15th May 2024 - 09:31 AM