Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Anyone know about Audi drivetrains?, Still researching the alternatives...
neo914-6
post Jan 14 2005, 02:35 PM
Post #1

neo life

Group: Members
Member No.: 159

Questions:
1. Will a Boxster tranny simply bolt up to 1.8t or 2.7tt? I hear they do but I need facts.
2. Anything wrong with Tiptronic Boxster trannys?
3. Are 1.8t or 2.7tt engines internally different for automatic trannys? A dismantler told me yes.
4. If 3 is correct, what is the problem with switching them, i.e install a "manual" engine with an auto tranny or an "auto" engine with a manual tranny?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Jan 14 2005, 03:19 PM
Post #2

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87
Region Association: None

have you checked out vwvortex.com yet?

they have an audi tech section...someone there might be able to help you....

have you swung on by ATP yet? they had a couple of different audi drivetrains sitting on the shop floor last week....
+Quote Post
scotty914
post Jan 14 2005, 03:19 PM
Post #3

suby torque rules

Member No.: 924

you could always go older tranny, one that does not tie in to the car brain

the audi 5000 trannt looks like a good start, audi 5000 swapshows some stuff
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Jan 14 2005, 03:33 PM
Post #4

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87

QUOTE (scott thacher @ Jan 14 2005, 02:19 PM)
you could always go older tranny, one that does not tie in to the car brain

the audi 5000 trannt looks like a good start, audi 5000 swapshows some stuff

Scott, it's not an electrical issue, it's whether or not the transmissions will physically swap back and forth

Felix,

I have a hard time believing that the motors are different internally, such as different crank and such..."normally", the auto box engines have less horsepower due to the auto-box being weaker so the motor is tuned differently if it came mated to an auto-box from the factory.
+Quote Post
Scott Carlberg
post Jan 14 2005, 03:41 PM
Post #5

Porsche MOTORSPORTS

Member No.: 580

you are asking for 'just' the transmission issue, right?

I mean, the 1.8t is a inline-four,
whereas the 2.7tt is a V6

sorry, IF that's not news to you (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
andys
post Jan 14 2005, 04:05 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 721

Felix,

I'm not sure where you're going with this, but I will share what I know.

All later model longitudinal mount inline 4 (1.8t) and V6 (2.7/2.8) motors and transaxles interchange (A4, A6, A8, etc); from about '98 up or so. The transaxle models for manual transmissions will be the 012 5 speed, and the 01E 6 speed, which is only available as a Quattro in the US. The same model transaxles are used in the VW Passat. The earlier model 013, 093, and 016 (Audi 5000) 5 speed transaxles have a different bellhousing bolt pattern, and will not interchange.

I don't have any data on swappping manual and auto transaxles. I suspect you'd only need to change out the normal stuff like flexplates to flywheels, the sandwich plate between the motor bellhousing surface and the transaxle mounting surface (the auto differes in thickness, as do the various motor config's like I4 and V6), and so on. Major swap issue could be auto trans electronics if coupled to the ECU, and for sure the Tiptronic.

The TT is a transverse mounted motor/trans, so they are an entirely different layout. Non of those will interchange with the A4, A6, etc.

This is all from memory, but should be close. Hope it helps.

Andy
+Quote Post
lapuwali
post Jan 14 2005, 04:18 PM
Post #7

Not another one!

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,743

I'd avoid any of the Tiptronic 'boxes if only because they're all going to involve electronics that MAY be difficult to integrate in with everything else. If they have a completely separate ECU (possible), they'll require some sort of feed on at least vehicle speed, maybe on engine rpm. They may use the engine's ECU, which may get very confused if you try to run it w/o all of the inputs hooked up and working.

Stick to a pre-electronic all-manual gearbox, and you're substantially reducing the headaches in doing the swap.
+Quote Post
neo914-6
post Jan 14 2005, 11:33 PM
Post #8

neo life

Member No.: 159

Andys,
I'm not sure where you're going with this

This is intended as a modern drivetrain for my "Neo914".
The TT is a transverse mounted motor/trans, so they are an entirely different layout. Non of those will interchange with the A4, A6, etc.

The late model S4 V6 twin turbo has an inline tranny. If the Boxster tranny bolts up, then the mid-engine arrangement/shifter will adapt simply. Sonu (914 1.8t)had to fabricate linkage for his cable shifted 1.8t which I'd like to avoid. It basically moves the shifter from behind to in front of the engine. I like the 1.8 turbo but coming from GMV8 914, I like the torque and constant boost from the V6 twin turbo. There have been some 3.6L Porsche conversions with the Boxster trans so I believe it will be sufficient.

I have a hard time believing that the motors are different internally, such as different crank and such..."normally", the auto box engines have less horsepower due to the auto-box being weaker so the motor is tuned differently if it came mated to an auto-box from the factory.

Mike,
I believe I was talking to an uninformed sales guy at the Dismantlers. We'll see, they want quite a bit for the 2.7tt so I may have to wait for another eBay opportunity. I've lost 3 bids on engines (1.8t from TT, 4.5tt Cayenne, and this 2.7tt).

avoid any of the Tiptronic 'boxes if only because they're all going to involve electronics that MAY be difficult to integrate

I have access to one with all the wiring so this should not be a problem. It may be if the original engine/ECU is not being used. If this is not a cheap alternative to the 6 speed, I will pass on it. I was thinking of using this tranny and upgrading later.

Thanks all, and keep the data coming! (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smilie_pokal.gif)
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 02:41 AM