Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Non-stock Steel Rocker Panels, any interest?
John
post Jan 21 2005, 02:47 PM
Post #1

member? what's a member?

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,615
Region Association: None

I am fabricating my own steel rocker panels from 18 gauge steel and am wondering if there is anyone interested in a set of thier own.

These are not "factory clones". They are simple 18ga sheet metal with bends at the top and bottom similar to the factory parts. (These will not have all the factory contours and lips, but will look very close to them)

They "could" be provided with or without jack holes and both ends will require finishing.

I am fabricating them this way so I can have steel flared rockers instead of the flimsy fiberglass ones that break out when pop-rivited into place at the door sills, and bolted on under the longitudinal.

I may do "finishing" of the ends for a price if there is any interest.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
DougC
post Jan 21 2005, 04:15 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 2,307

Hey John I've thought of doing something along the same lines only a little different. Last weekend I was playing around with some sheet aluminum that I had, I placed it along the rocker area and wrapped it underneath. The look was way more "round" looking than stock, looked very 907, 910, 917 style. I may persue this as a personal project because I happened to like the looked. Could even leave it in it's natural aluminum state. But your rockers would be nice, were you going to form the ends to fit the GT flares?

Doug C
+Quote Post
John
post Jan 21 2005, 04:57 PM
Post #3

member? what's a member?

Member No.: 1,615
Region Association: None

My plan is to have several "straight" sections broken up. I would cut the underside with a plasma cutter to the correct shape (to miss the drain holes). I was also planning on drilling them with a jig to make sure the mounting holes all line up.

I was going to leave it basically at that unless people wanted the flared ends. Or broken over ends at the front and back edges to appear more stock.

On some of my sets, I am going to form flared ends and section in metal to finish them off top and bottom.

I had planned on doing almost no work other than trimming and drilling to keep prices as low as possible.

The broken sections are $45.00 per side. I can customize the rockers for additional $.

I don't think any two flared cars have exactly the same dimensions so it would be more difficult to come up with a generic flared rocker that fits better than the flimsy fiberglass ones.
+Quote Post
brant
post Jan 21 2005, 05:34 PM
Post #4

914 Wizard

Member No.: 47
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

good idea. Definitely demand is out there.

(we are doing a set for ourselves out of aluminum that will hopefully save a tiny bit of weight and more importantly will have a larger face to drop lower, and have a tiny change to the mounting that we want.)
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th April 2024 - 01:11 AM