Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Quite a day., I think I'm losing weight
Gint
post May 31 2003, 06:40 PM
Post #1

Mike Ginter

Group: Admin
Member No.: 20
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Last night I swapped the trailer connector and changed the 2" ball over to the short drop hitch for the truck instead of the 8" drop hitch the Jeep uses. Buddy of mine needed help picking up a Toyota truck bed he (we) had dropped off weeks before as it was finished. I need to pick up a cache of parts from Dave C. The plan was to hitch the trailer up to the truck (now equipped with brake controller), move the trailer out into the street, unload the /6 (now a total roller), move the donor tub leftovers to the space the trailer had occupied, put the /6 in the garage, drive out to Dave's to pick up parts, drive over to get the truck bed, drop the bed at Larry's house, go back home to drop off the trailer, pick up 2.0 long block from Peter B., and after all of that perhaps an afternoon nap.

The truck started grumbling down the highway. Pulled off and into a convenient church parking lot. Smoke coming out of the right rear wheel. Great. Looks like brake is locked up. Jack it up on that side, Get the wheel lock key out, (I haven't had the wheels off the truck yet since I bought it, stupid I know, but the brakes had bee working perfectly) and try to get the wheel off. Wheel lock slips out of the lug nut and goes 'who the hell knows where'. After twenty minutes searching the weeds and leaves at the edge of the lot, we find the lock key. Can't keep enough force on it to get the locking lug off. During this time I realize that the wheel is pivoting fore and aft. Wheel bearing HAS to be toast. Give up, call wife and have her bring my Jeep and all the tools necessary to un-do all of the hitch/connector trailer work I did last night. AAA is on the way for the truck. Send the wife off with tow driver and hitch the trailer back up to the Jeep.

We're off again. Get the parts from Dave C (the back of the Cherokee is now well loaded), go get the truck bed and strap it down to the trailer. Get it to Larry's place and a couple of eager 10 year olds help us unload it. Back to my house to get rid of the trailer and it's off for some lunch at 2:00. Back home at 3:00, peruse the Haynes manual for the truck and realize that at 3:40 I batter bet my can to the local NAPA that isn't open on Sunday. No brake shoes, just bearings. Might be the wrong ones (depends on axle type- I don't know what it is), but they don't have the other set. Back home. Move (barely) the disabled truck, back the trailer over to the side of the house, back the truck in front of the trailer. Get the PB Blaster out and squirt the locking lugs. Get the impact out and the lugs still won't come off. Try to move the trailer by hand that last inch, realize that it's hitting the donor remains. Go the long way around and decide the kick the tarp out of the way, hard. Guess what's under the tarp? The tail end of the donor rear quarter.

I sure hope my foot ain't busted. It does indeed hurt like hell. Never did pick up the motor (tomorrow?) and the Jeep is still chock full o' 914 parts

I'm done (literally). Thank 'whatever deity you prefer' for the CART race on Speed.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Joe Bob
post May 31 2003, 08:52 PM
Post #2

Retired admin, banned a few times

Group: Members
Member No.: 5
Region Association: None

Hey Gint.....just bought a Jeep Grand Cherokee....no wheel locks.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/finger.gif)
+Quote Post
GWN7
post May 31 2003, 10:53 PM
Post #3

King of Road Trips

Member No.: 56
Region Association: Northstar Region

Up here they never steal the wheels off of them, they just take the whole truck.

I'd suggest two fingers of rum in an icy glass and something bbq'ed, to relax the foot.
+Quote Post
stock93
post Jun 1 2003, 10:02 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 684
Region Association: South East States

The wheel locks are almost useless. I've just pounded a deep socket over them with a handsledge and gotten them off. Like GWN7 said, They usually just steal the whole truck around here.
+Quote Post
Gint
post Jun 1 2003, 11:56 AM
Post #5

Mike Ginter

Group: Admin
Member No.: 20
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Well, I managed to get over and pick up the 2.0 4 cylinder long block this morning. And afterwards, my bud Larry, my neighbor and I got those stinkin locking lug nuts off. There was a huge short steel bar and a BFH involved. They won't be going back on, that's for sure.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 5th May 2024 - 06:30 PM