Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Camp 914 Caravan to WCC- Who?, Time to decide a route
Porsche Rescue
post Mar 23 2005, 09:18 PM
Post #1

Saving and Enjoying Old Porsches

Group: Members
Member No.: 64
Region Association: None

Ok, time to make some decisions: Boxter (Camp 914 Himself), me, Rhodyguy (Kevin), Mike and Dan from Canada are leaving from Portland on Thurs. am, April 21, right? Who else is going to be in the parade? Once that is established, I will organize a poll to decide the route. I am assuming we all agree that we will follow I-5 to somewhere south of Sacramento (near 600 miles) on Thursday. If that is wrong, tell me. The question will be how we proceed from there and if/where we meet the NoCal guys for the last leg to Camarillo.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Mar 23 2005, 10:03 PM
Post #2

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

thurs am for sure. wed, lets see where our canadian friends are. al would leave wed i think. i figure we'll know after breakfast, fri the 22nd (EARTH DAY!!!), the route we will take further south. rich? dino? dave? brad? phil han? is anybody from california meeting, or want to meet us friday morning? things will come together in the last few days. new car for you and it should be rarin' to go. how ironic, EARTH DAY!!, and we will be driving alone in our cars, reving things up and using lots of fuel.

k
+Quote Post
914werke
post Mar 23 2005, 10:11 PM
Post #3

"I got blisters on me fingers"

Member No.: 453
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Thurs. morn .... when?
Its sounding like Im gonna get up at 4am drive from Mill creek to portland then from portland to ? in CA.
sounds like a long day (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/huh.gif)
+Quote Post
boxstr
post Mar 23 2005, 10:23 PM
Post #4

MEMBER:PACIFIC NORTHWEST REGION

Member No.: 12

Not sure but I would think those of you coming down to stay overnight could get a group rate at the Sweetbrier inn???
CCLINTRAVELOCITY
+Quote Post
Allan
post Mar 23 2005, 10:40 PM
Post #5

Teenerless Weenie

Member No.: 2,304
Region Association: Southern California

As you progress in your planning just keep in mind that you have a full service pit stop in Bakersfield.

Good Luck,

Allan
+Quote Post
Porsche Rescue
post Mar 23 2005, 10:47 PM
Post #6

You are all younger than me, but 800 miles in a modern, quiet, air-conditioned, cruise-controlled, cd stereo equipped car is all I can handle. I did 2400 miles in 4 days in a 914 a couple of years ago (Chicago-Portland) and 600 miles a day was plenty. I only drove during daylight hours. We don't have to go so far south on day 1, but we would likely not be able to meet the CA caravan and likely not make Camarillo for the 4pm beginning social.
I encourage you WA guys to make it to Portland Wed. night. Find a motel 6 and double up.

The tentative plan is to leave Portland area at 8am and make our stop for the night by 7pm at the latest. That should get us well south of Sacramento.
+Quote Post
boxstr
post Mar 23 2005, 10:56 PM
Post #7

MEMBER:PACIFIC NORTHWEST REGION

Member No.: 12

Allan, I might stay over in Bakersfield after the WCC for the NSRA Western Street Rod Nationals, April 29,30,May1.
Maybe I can take a lookk at that full servie pit stop.
CCLINSTREETISNEAT
+Quote Post
Allan
post Mar 23 2005, 11:04 PM
Post #8

Teenerless Weenie

Member No.: 2,304
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE (boxstr @ Mar 23 2005, 08:56 PM)
Allan, I might stay over in Bakersfield after the WCC for the NSRA Western Street Rod Nationals, April 29,30,May1.
Maybe I can take a lookk at that full servie pit stop.
CCLINSTREETISNEAT

I will make sure that you have complete access to anything you need, including tools, air, and lifts.

Allan
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Mar 24 2005, 09:21 AM
Post #9

you will need to rolling by 4 rich. not getting out of bed. believe me, 205 will be plugged, much like 405, at 7:30 and it was bad all the way to where I5 and 205 meet south of p-land. you can't slip out wed?

k
+Quote Post
mike_the_man
post Mar 24 2005, 09:54 AM
Post #10

I like stuff!

Member No.: 809

Dan and my other friend Gary, and I will be at Camp914 by Wednesday night. We're planning to stay at the Sweetbrier inn. I don't think it matters to us what route we take. You guys that know where you're going figure it out, and we'll just follow along. It would be nice to make it to Camarillo for the social, but if we don't make it on time, I won't be upset. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/beerchug.gif)

+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Mar 24 2005, 10:12 AM
Post #11

mike, have you guys figured out where you will be staying tues night? some town in western b.c. or on our side? unless you have plans for vancouver you want to be thinking about getting off the trans-can around abbotsford and crossing at sumas wa. trust me on this one.

k
+Quote Post
mike_the_man
post Mar 24 2005, 10:45 AM
Post #12

I like stuff!

Member No.: 809

Not too sure where we'll be staying on Tuesday night. We'll figure that out pretty soon, and I'll post. We'll probably drive as far as we can, 12-14 hours I'm thinking and see where we end up.

Why should we get off at Abbotsford? Crappy driving through the mountains? Or is that just the most direct route?

+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Mar 24 2005, 11:26 AM
Post #13

a little change (but sumas would work). you will be looking to get off Can Hwy#1 on provincial(?) Hwy #13 which beomes WA Hwy #539 after the border. the primary border crossing at blaine, wa can be a nightmare. plus all you're doing is driving deeper towards vancouver area traffic. #539 is a straight shot and you pick up I-5 at bellingham. this move has the potential to save you hours.

k
+Quote Post
dinomium
post Mar 24 2005, 12:03 PM
Post #14

Git on a chair son, all the good stuff is goin over yer head!

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 74

It is looking more like a ride along for me... must migrate payroll system first!
+Quote Post
Dan_F
post Mar 24 2005, 12:46 PM
Post #15

Member No.: 3,759

I was thinking we could make it from Regina to Spokane on Tuesday, leaving us with a few(?) hours to Portland on Wednesday. I don't think we'll be going through Abbotsford, will we? Isn't that close to Victoria? Seems like a long detour.
+Quote Post
Porsche Rescue
post Mar 24 2005, 01:02 PM
Post #16

I can't answer for Kevin who knows more than I do, but I have heard that the Blaine crossing, since 9/11 and all that implies, can be a massive back-up. Work with him and your maps on the best route. However, Spokane to Portland in a day is an easy trip. You will want to come southwest through Washington and cross the Columbia at Biggs Junction (Oregon highway 97). Only about 120 miles to the Sweetbrier Inn from there. Interstate 84 west to Interstate 205 south to Interstate 5 and about a mile north to Tualatin exit.

If you haven't, go to Mapquest.com and click on Driving Directions. Type Regina, SN and Portland, OR. It will give you a map of the fastest route and tell miles and actual drive time. Then ask for various points in between and you can get a good feel for where you will be Tue night.
+Quote Post
Rhodes71/914
post Mar 24 2005, 01:38 PM
Post #17

Glacier

Member No.: 2,482

I'll put my .02 in here since I used to live in Bellingham and crossed that boarder all the time. Definetly take the Sumas crossing if you stay on Canada 1 all the way. I always avoid the Peace Arch crossing at I-5 and the Canada boarder. Plus you get to drive some country roads for a little before your back on the interstate.

Wish I was making the trip with y'all.
+Quote Post
Dan_F
post Mar 24 2005, 02:02 PM
Post #18

Member No.: 3,759

Mapquest shows the route going through Spokane, does anybody here know of a good (cheap) place to around there? How bad is traffic in Spokane, should we make a real effort to avoid "rush hour" there? Pop. of Regina is 200,000 so more than 30 minutes to cross a city seems like alot (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/ohmy.gif)
+Quote Post
Rhodes71/914
post Mar 24 2005, 02:10 PM
Post #19

Glacier

Member No.: 2,482

Spokane is not that big of a city and I wouldn't think traffic would hold you up much.
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Mar 24 2005, 02:17 PM
Post #20

you will be bypassing the puget sound area completely. i should think you've 4 or 5 hours, minimum from spokane to portland. the drive down the columbia is nice. I-84 on the oregon side? take 30 minutes and stop at multnoma falls, 45 min from p-land. you folks are logging some miles!!! see you wed night. maybe.

k
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 06:47 PM