Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> V8 Gurus..., Edelbrock Manifold and Head miss-match
neo914-6
post Apr 3 2005, 02:08 AM
Post #1

neo life

Group: Members
Member No.: 159

Why don't the water passages match on these? Both are Edelbrock Performer parts...

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
neo914-6
post Apr 3 2005, 02:14 AM
Post #2

neo life

Any tips on installing a manifold? I would have bolted them on tonight but the Mr. Gasket set has more material than I like.

I have Permatex "Right Stuff" and "anti-seize".

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
sean_v8_914
post Apr 3 2005, 03:17 AM
Post #3

Chingon 601

Member No.: 3,541

what is teh problem? bolt it up. the water jacket is only one sided on teh intake. the 2 holes in teh head make teh head work for left or right
+Quote Post
MecGen
post Apr 3 2005, 03:35 AM
Post #4

8 Easy Steps

Member No.: 3,421

Hi Neo
Permatex ultra black is my choice, clean the area with brake cleaner, dab of silicone in the corners behind the gaskets, install side gaskets, I use a special spray called "High tac" to keep them from sliding around. Nice thick bead of Ultra Black, and your done.
The only intake issue I know is some heads will allow an overlong intake bolt to touch a push rod, double check this before you install the valve cover.
Good luck with it
Joe

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
914GT
post Apr 3 2005, 09:22 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 2,923
Region Association: Southwest Region

I agree with Joe. Use the Permatex only on front and back. A trick to a neat job (not that you can see it in a 914) is take two strips of masking tape across the intake and block outside surfaces and lay in a thick bead on the mating surfaces. Install the manifold and use a damp finger to wipe off excess, then remove the tape. Remember to use thread sealant on the bolts, many are open to oil.
+Quote Post
neo914-6
post Apr 3 2005, 09:26 AM
Post #6

neo life

QUOTE (sean_v8_914 @ Apr 3 2005, 01:17 AM)
what is teh problem? bolt it up. the water jacket is only one sided on teh intake. the 2 holes in teh head make teh head work for left or right

Sean,

I figure it is designed this way but the center galley made me ask the question. The gasket I removed had an opening but the one I just bought has none. That wouldn't have a symetrical issue being in the center.

Thanks for the tips Joe and Guy!
+Quote Post
neo914-6
post Apr 3 2005, 09:30 AM
Post #7

neo life

QUOTE (914GT @ Apr 3 2005, 07:22 AM)
I agree with Joe. Use the Permatex only on front and back. A trick to a neat job (not that you can see it in a 914) is take two strips of masking tape across the intake and block outside surfaces and lay in a thick bead on the mating surfaces. Install the manifold and use a damp finger to wipe off excess, then remove the tape. Remember to use thread sealant on the bolts, many are open to oil.

So use the sealant instead of the supplied rubber seals, correct?

Put sealant under the head of the bolt? I plan to use anti-seize on the threads.
+Quote Post
914GT
post Apr 3 2005, 10:35 AM
Post #8

Member No.: 2,923
Region Association: Southwest Region

QUOTE (Neo914 @ Apr 3 2005, 08:30 AM)
So use the sealant instead of the supplied rubber seals, correct?

Put sealant under the head of the bolt? I plan to use anti-seize on the threads.

Yes, RTV sealant only on the front and rear block rails. Use Permatex Teflon thread sealant (white stuff) on the threads. It wont do any good under the bolt head.
+Quote Post
Rgreen914
post Apr 3 2005, 06:22 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 1,266

QUOTE (Neo914 @ Apr 3 2005, 07:26 AM)

I figure it is designed this way but the center galley made me ask the question. The gasket I removed had an opening but the one I just bought has none. That wouldn't have a symetrical issue being in the center.

That opening in the center of the manifold is for exhaust heat to pass under the plenum in the manifold, for smog compliance and/or cold drivability concerns; from the pic, it appears that your heads don't even have this heat riser port open. Some gasket sets come with the gasket opening for this heat riser but include a small tin block-off plate to allow you the option of "plugging" this opening. The coolant passes from the block, through the heads and then out the thermostat housing in the front of the manifold. It doesn't pass out the rear of the heads due to the location of the distributor; some racers will, however, install fittings and a hose to allow circulation between the heads in that area. Some smog manifolds also have coolant flowing beneath the carb/TBI plenum location.

Ron
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 8th June 2024 - 03:48 PM