Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> More V8 questions for the gurus..., It's been over 15 years..
neo914-6
post Apr 4 2005, 09:52 PM
Post #1

neo life

Group: Members
Member No.: 159

..since I've done this conversion so bear with me.

1. My Edelbrock intake installation instructions says torque to 25 ft lbs. I've read that could be too high, what is correct? I'm more paranoid with the aluminum heads. I just bought the correct gasket set and picked up some Prothane motor mounts too. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif)

2. What pilot bearing should I use? There is one currently in the engine but the PO ran a ZF (Pantera) transaxle.

3. I bought a used Edelbrock carburetor and the PO removed the auto choke and a few other parts. It won't idle and runs like crap. The PO said the floats may be sticking or I have to adjust the idle needle. Any suggestions? I "wanted" one to install and go!

That's it for now...
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
sean_v8_914
post Apr 4 2005, 10:00 PM
Post #2

Chingon 601

Member No.: 3,541

you are right to be cautious with AL heads. use teh suggested torque value from teh head manufacturer, not the manifold. ARP makes a torquing lube, use it, its cheap

Edelbrock carb rebuild kit is easy and teh carb has much less parts than a Holley and its easier to clean

Call Kenedy Engineering about the correct bearing

have fun, cheers (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
skline
post Apr 4 2005, 10:03 PM
Post #3

Born to Drive

Member No.: 17
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE (Neo914 @ Apr 4 2005, 07:52 PM)
..since I've done this conversion so bear with me.

1. My Edelbrock intake installation instructions says torque to 25 ft lbs. I've read that could be too high, what is correct? I'm more paranoid with the aluminum heads. I just bought the correct gasket set and picked up some Prothane motor mounts too. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif)

2. What pilot bearing should I use? There is one currently in the engine but the PO ran a ZF (Pantera) transaxle.

3. I bought a used Edelbrock carburetor and the PO removed the auto choke and a few other parts. It won't idle and runs like crap. The PO said the floats may be sticking or I have to adjust the idle needle. Any suggestions? I "wanted" one to install and go!

That's it for now...

1. Always follow the directions, other wise, they might not validate the warranty.

2. I got mine from Kennedy, the complete setup was $40.00

3. Pick up a rebuild kit and clean everything up, the carb is not in as good of condition and you were told. Mine was pretty much plug and play. I just need to adjust the idle jets.
+Quote Post
skline
post Apr 4 2005, 10:04 PM
Post #4

Born to Drive

Member No.: 17
Region Association: Southern California

Hey Sean, we missed you last weekend, I thought you and the little missus were coming up for the BBQ? Call me.
+Quote Post
914GT
post Apr 4 2005, 10:09 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 2,923
Region Association: Southwest Region

Also torque the intake bolts in the proper sequence. Edelbrock specs 25 ft-lbs torque for intake bolts regardless of the heads. At that low torque spec it won't damage aluminum heads. Use compatible gaskets for aluminum intakes.
+Quote Post
dan10101
post Apr 4 2005, 10:13 PM
Post #6

TORQUE-o-holic

Member No.: 626
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

I recommend getting an auto choke. It's a bear to start carbed cars without a choke. You can do a manual, but it's a pain.

Boy, I miss the FI...
+Quote Post
bondo
post Apr 4 2005, 10:16 PM
Post #7

Practicing my perpendicular parking

Member No.: 587
Region Association: Central California

Make sure the bolts are long enough too.. All the bolts that thread into aluminum on my LT1 (it has Al heads) are longer than "normal".
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th May 2024 - 08:16 PM