Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

7 Pages V  1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Introduction of guy and car...., first 914 on its way....
Frankvw
post Jun 22 2016, 08:43 AM
Post #1

working on my first 914 !

Group: Members
Member No.: 19,896
Region Association: Europe

My first 914 !
Introduction of guy and car....

Introduction
Frank, from Holland, the Netherlands, Europe. Frankvw on the forum.

I am no stranger to the car hobby, but totally new to the Porsche world. So, not only did I recently buy my first 914, it was actually my first Porsche.
For many years I am into VW's some came and went, but also some stayed: a 1960 VW Beetle Ragtop and a 1978 VW T2b Westfalia Berlin.
After deciding I wanted a 914, I did a lot of reading and looking what was 'out there'
I did check a lot on the internet, including (of course) the 914world forums, especially from January 2016 onwards when I sort of decided I was going for it !
In april 2016 I did sign up to 914world as a member to make it more registered and tried to keep up through the different topics.
I already tried to contribute in different topics, since I also will be taking a lot from the 914world community.

How did I buy my first 914 ?
I kept an eye on the classified section of 914world, but nothing came along or was sold too soon. I wanted to buy from a clubmember so I had a better idea what I was buying.
Being from the Netherlands, Europe, it would be a buy based on trust. I figured that was easier to find on the 914world with your backup.
I did also check Craigs List to see what was out there, prices, details etc but my idea was that it would be hard to find a trust-deal on there.
I also kept an eye on Ebay, but I learned soon the cars were sold for higher prices then I had in mind. I saw the comment on the 914world somewhere : 'Evilbay is a great place to overpay'
I wanted a driver, not a project car and one day a 914 showed up on Ebay, a 1973 1.7 914, second owner with all history with it.
I contacted the seller and I had the idea I could find that trust-buy with him, we had good communication (mail, phone, SMS) and he was willing to help out in the shipping process.
I did enter the bidding war (well...20 bids in total) and I won !

The car and the color...
as mentioned, a 1973 914 1.7 with its original FI, on Riviera's. In fact, all is original except for one respray in 2002, in the original color.
The second owner bought it 18 years ago from the original owner who had it the first 25 years. Almost all history and maintenance known !
The most interesting part is the color. It was already discussed on the forum, since the seller called it sepia brown and it wasn't.
Before the auction ended I contacted Porsche Germany to help me check the color and they helped out (as much as possible).
We found the data they normally print on the COA, and there was stated it had several options. for example interior 31 (beige leatherette), was sold through a dealer in LA to first owner, option 570 (extra seat cushion) etc.
But also was stated on the files that this 914 was delivered in Color option 99 - Special Wish, which translated in code 98 on the Karmann doorpillar ID.
It was definately a custom wish, since the car was bought in the original color by last owner and he had it resprayed in 2002 since some of the clearcoat faded/came off.... and 914's had no clearcoat from the factory I learned.
Porsche could not find out what color it ended up in, so no more info on the color besides seller claiming it was resprayed in the same color it was before.
It is for sure a metallic brownish color, and the targaroof was also painted that color by the way...
I will have to wait what the real original color was if I remove some parts/carpets.....In case you have ideas or opinions about this color...let me know !

Wait?
Yes. Car has to be transported to the Netherlands from USA. First, car will be transported from Connecticut to NJ (see pic attached)
and from NJ it will be loaded in the harbour of NY to be send on it's way to Europe.
I waited to post this intro since I thought when the car started his journey away from the sellers house, my adventure and ownership will start (although I already went through the financial process and paperwork)
Car was just picked up in Connecticut ! (see pic attached) voila, my intro !

What is next?
After the car arrives in the Netherlands, I have to pay tax, more tax and some other tax, since it is from outside Europe. Then I have to bring it for a Identity check and a Technical check
All needs to work and should be in good (enough) order, important stuff like structure and brakes, but also the small stuff like wiperrubbers and working horn. You get the idea.
This means I have to go through the car before I go there, and that is when I see what I still really need to do on the car to be able to drive it in NL.
I already know about some small issues with the car, from the info of the seller, but you always have to wait what really pops up, right ?
I also need some items not needed for this tests, like better beige vinyl seatcushion covers and one targaroof clip holder, but I will keep my eyes on the classifieds here !
After the tests, a Dutch registration, licenseplates, insurance and go with that banana (like we say in Holland) :-)

Ok...enough for now (problably already too much to share for an intro, but I got carried away typing, sorry)
Frank (Frankvw)

Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Dutchdriver
post Jun 22 2016, 08:55 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 19,983

"...go with that banana..." LOL ;-)

Nice buy and some effort you took. Hope the car will be as good as you hope once it arrives, but it's great you have a lot of info about the history of the car.

Nice one! Keep us updated and good luck while waiting... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Jun 22 2016, 11:09 AM
Post #3

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
jrblackbox
post Jun 22 2016, 11:15 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 19,140
Region Association: None

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jun 22 2016, 09:09 AM) *

how did I miss that car! Great looking teener! Good luck!
+Quote Post
r_towle
post Jun 22 2016, 11:22 AM
Post #5

Custom Member

Member No.: 124
Region Association: North East States

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png)

Congratulations and I hope your car is worth the wait
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Jun 22 2016, 11:37 AM
Post #6

Michael

Member No.: 9,712

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png) Congratulations on your purchase. The car looks very nice in those pictures. I hope it is all it was represented to be. I liked your introduction and hope your car sails through your registration process so you can drive it soon.
+Quote Post
JFG
post Jun 22 2016, 11:38 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 19,869
Region Association: None

Another euro here. That's the best intro i've seen on any forum.

Your car looks very nice, i'm a fan of the riviera wheels and have a set waiting to go on my car.

Hope the car works out well for you.
+Quote Post
KELTY360
post Jun 22 2016, 11:46 AM
Post #8

914 Neferati

Member No.: 5,344
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/mueba.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mueba.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mueba.gif)
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Jun 22 2016, 11:54 AM
Post #9

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Member No.: 43
Region Association: Northstar Region

Nice! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png) Love the color! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/drooley.gif)
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Jun 22 2016, 12:11 PM
Post #10

TMI....

Member No.: 10,181
Region Association: Southern California

Nice color - chances are that was another Porsche color - it being a 99 code (versus a "match to sample") - so google for some 911 websites with colors on them to see what might match.

PS - the 31 interior code should be for a Beige (tan) interior with basketweave seat inserts. If that's not what's on the car, then get with the German Porsche COA folks to correct it, because PCNA screws up the COAs all the time.

Mine was the #31, but it took me researching for them & sending them the info I found on the color codes & 2x tries + a call to the customer care general manager over the COA staff to get PCNA to correct their error! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mad.gif)

It looks darker than the `75 914 Copper Metallic that I'd repainted mine to in summer 76 (2nd owner since 12/75). Mine also has the Riviera wheels, but in the far rarer brushed finish.

If the p914.com website is back up yet, then you can find sample of that Copper color on a 914 there.

PSS - in case it's still down, here's one I saved from online of the Copper:

Attached Image Attached Image

And this is pix of the 73 colors brochure FYI:

Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image

>>>> Jeff Bowlsby - you may want to add these to your set on your site, since you don't have 1973 MY on there.

Good luck with the VAT & Tariff mania! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

Enjoy! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
Tom
///////
+Quote Post
76-914
post Jun 22 2016, 12:12 PM
Post #11

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964

It appears to be a very nice vehicle. That 1.7 is bullet proof and a good fit for your wallet given Denmark's gas prices. Looking forward to it's delivery. Enjoy the madness. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
Gustl
post Jun 22 2016, 02:28 PM
Post #12

914 enthusiast & historian

Member No.: 2,212
Region Association: Austria

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png) ... from the south (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

looks like "COPPER BROWN METALLIC" (Code 432) to me (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)
that was a 911 color from 1974 & 75
+Quote Post
Coondog
post Jun 22 2016, 03:39 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Member No.: 19,195

Congrats. Wish you lots of fun and adventure.
+Quote Post
green914
post Jun 22 2016, 04:50 PM
Post #14

Member No.: 12,874

looks like a very nice car (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png)
+Quote Post
Gmanscott55
post Jun 22 2016, 06:09 PM
Post #15

Member No.: 19,630

Great looking car and great enthusiasm!!

+Quote Post
Cuda911
post Jun 22 2016, 06:18 PM
Post #16

Member No.: 17,376

Great-looking car... congrats!!!!
+Quote Post
Frankvw
post Jun 23 2016, 12:41 AM
Post #17

@all: Thanks for the kind words and comments.

@Tom_T
"the 31 interior code should be for a Beige (tan) interior with basketweave seat inserts."
Yes, the car has beige vinyl ('leatherette') seats, with basketweave seatinserts, but the bolders and the backpad is smooth beige vinyl. Doorpanels have beige basketweave pattern as well, but black armrest with beige pockets. Black windowrollers.
Thanks for the comments on the color and the examples.

Attached Image

@Gustl
"looks like "COPPER BROWN METALLIC" (Code 432) to me ,that was a 911 color from 1974 & 75"
It is really hard to tell without the car in my hands, but if that is the case...it is a 1973 car.
That would mean the first owner was ahead of his time and Porsche liked it so much they adopted it in 1974 OR (more likely) the car was not 432 in 1973 but resprayed to 432 in 2002.
According to the last (second) owner, car was resprayed in teh same color as it was. I will have to wait till it arrives...

Attached Image
+Quote Post
falcor75
post Jun 23 2016, 05:28 AM
Post #18

Member No.: 15,176
Region Association: Scandinavia

Welcome from another european, soon we'll introduce you to the dangers of 914rubber and pmb performance. Hazardous to your credit card mostly tho... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
Frankvw
post Jun 23 2016, 05:37 AM
Post #19

Thanks Mats
I have been checking out your stories and website last months as well ! wow !

QUOTE(falcor75 @ Jun 23 2016, 05:28 AM) *

Welcome from another european, soon we'll introduce you to the dangers of 914rubber and pmb performance. Hazardous to your credit card mostly tho... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
Frankvw
post Jun 23 2016, 07:35 AM
Post #20

I already bought my first 914 parts as well !
The passenger side seat cushion has tears/cracks, I did post a WTB add on the forum as well.
I got in contact with jmink on this site and he send some seat cushions in better condition to the warehouse where they ship the 914 from to Holland.
In time, since I understand they did put them in the car as spare parts for me.
I did not see the cushions in person yet, but they will arrive together with the car, so already one (easy) to-do thing on the list of things to tackle when I get it.
Thanks Jim for your quick actions !

some parts that I know are missing on the car:
- 1 targaroof holder clip, the white one on the engine side
- 1 jack entry cover
I will check with 914rubber.com if they come in stock again , but maybe better wait till I know if I need some more things to save on the shipping.....
In case you want to send me those parts, feel free and I will return the favour with a great postcard from Amsterdam (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sunglasses.gif)

+Quote Post

7 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 11:40 AM