Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Rear Wheel Bearing wobble, New rear wheel bearing has unusual play
paintguru
post Nov 12 2017, 11:08 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 19,295
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Has anyone experienced excessive play in a newly installed rear wheel bearing? During the restoration of my 72 I installed new bearings. The left rear has no play and the hub rotates smoothly. The right side seems to have excessive play and with the car on the lift I can wiggle the tire and wheel left and right about 1/8th of an inch. Thinking I might have damaged the bearing during install I ordered another one. Yes I bought decent quality from Pelican and not a made in china cheapie. Again I carefully pressed in the bearing feeling confident it was not damaged but once again the hub rocks while the other side doesn't. Thoughts?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
80cap
post Nov 12 2017, 11:14 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 18,405
Region Association: None

What torque value did you use on the nut? I had the same thing until I torqued it to the spec.. I can't recall the amount but it is around 260 Lb.Ft.
Brian
+Quote Post
paintguru
post Nov 12 2017, 11:26 AM
Post #3

QUOTE(paintguru @ Nov 12 2017, 09:08 AM) *

Has anyone experienced excessive play in a newly installed rear wheel bearing? During the restoration of my 72 I installed new bearings. The left rear has no play and the hub rotates smoothly. The right side seems to have excessive play and with the car on the lift I can wiggle the tire and wheel left and right about 1/8th of an inch. Thinking I might have damaged the bearing during install I ordered another one. Yes I bought decent quality from Pelican and not a made in china cheapie. Again I carefully pressed in the bearing feeling confident it was not damaged but once again the hub rocks while the other side doesn't. Thoughts?

I've not yet torqued either side. I was hoping the pressure from the nut would remedy this but I'm troubled by the left side being firm without the nut being tightened.
+Quote Post
paintguru
post Nov 12 2017, 11:27 AM
Post #4

QUOTE(paintguru @ Nov 12 2017, 09:26 AM) *

I've not yet torqued either side. I was hoping the pressure from the nut would remedy this but I'm troubled by the left side being firm without the nut being tightened.

I guess at this point I'll torque the nuts and see where I go from there. Thanks for the reply.
+Quote Post
80cap
post Nov 12 2017, 11:42 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 18,405

The Haynes manual states the torque at 217 to 253 Lbs. Ft.
Brian
+Quote Post
porschetub
post Nov 12 2017, 02:12 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 18,995

Wasn't there a thread on here about some bearing having a slightly smaller I.D.,seem to remember it was the SKF ones that were the issue and the FAG ones were ok ??.
This would certainly seem to be the OP's problem,I would think if it wasn't a tight fit into the trailing arm this would be an issue.
I read replies with interest as I have a bearing to replace myself and it is an SKF one (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif) .
+Quote Post
MarkV
post Nov 12 2017, 02:52 PM
Post #7

Fear the Jack Stands

Member No.: 154

I had a new FAG bearing made in Slovakia or some place that had play in it. It wasn't loose in the bore the bearing center was loose in the race. I could move the wheel back and forth 1/4" and it made noise when driving. Replaced it with an ebay $15 bearing made in China and it has been fine ever since.

There is this Boxster youtube..... said there was a batch of bad bearings and that they had very little grease in them form the factory. Same part # as 914 bearing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-A5kf5pXl4w

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9P1R2clGAU
+Quote Post
914Sixer
post Nov 12 2017, 04:53 PM
Post #8

914 Guru

Member No.: 3,457
Region Association: Southwest Region

I discussed this very thing earlier this year. I went through 4 bearings until i got good ones. I made sure I got some NOS old style. There is major differences in the thickness of the inner bearings. The good ones that worked for me was FAG 545495AD. This is a BMW bearing but it is universal.
+Quote Post
cary
post Nov 12 2017, 07:24 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,608

1. Same thing happened on my 911 many years ago.
2. Have you put it on the ground yet ? If not, lower and torque to spec. Torque to 217 then dial it in till you line up the next cotter key slot.Then see what you have.
Maybe. But I kind of doubt it.
3. Ditto on FAG
+Quote Post
porschetub
post Nov 12 2017, 09:26 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 18,995

QUOTE(914Sixer @ Nov 13 2017, 11:53 AM) *

I discussed this very thing earlier this year. I went through 4 bearings until i got good ones. I made sure I got some NOS old style. There is major differences in the thickness of the inner bearings. The good ones that worked for me was FAG 545495AD. This is a BMW bearing but it is universal.

Hopefully that's helpful to the OP,in my case the bearing I have is a BMW SKF kit,includes self locking nut and snap rings,my friend @ SKF told me it will fit a 914,the kit number is VKBA1460, the bearing is listed as SKF FW109 for 914 fitment.
I trust my bearing guy so hopefully all will be good as its not a job you want to be doing too often.
Thanks Mark.
+Quote Post
ThePaintedMan
post Nov 13 2017, 08:34 AM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 13,527
Region Association: South East States

The double row bearings are very difficult to over-torque. In fact, they rely on a great amount of torque to seat the balls and extend the life of the bearing. Went through 3 of them on a client's racecar till he trusted me that 100 ft lbs wasn't enough (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)

I'd be willing to bet that once you torque to 217+ ft-lbs, you'll see the slop disappear,
+Quote Post
McMark
post Nov 13 2017, 09:18 AM
Post #12

914 Freak!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 419

Getting the slop to disappear requires that the stub axle be fully seated into the hub, and the hub to be fully seated against the bearing. Rust, dirt, or damage can keep things from seating fully by hand. Most of the time those factors are irrelevant against 200+ft/lbs of torque, so it's not a problem once torqued. If you really want to go the extra mile, make sure those components are clean and smooth.

I always do a little cleanup with a fine ScotchBrite pad as well as taking a dental pick to each and every groove in both sides of he spline joint. Also a thin layer of grease on all surfaces. You want to make sure this stuff will come apart again later.
+Quote Post
worn
post Nov 13 2017, 09:23 AM
Post #13

can't remember

Member No.: 13,152
Region Association: Upper MidWest

They wobble like crazy until the stub axle is tightened. Scared me to death when I did them.
+Quote Post
76-914
post Nov 13 2017, 10:14 AM
Post #14

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964
Region Association: Southern California

I remember Cap'n Krusty saying that if you rolled the car around before tightening you could ruin them. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Nov 13 2017, 10:27 AM
Post #15

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(76-914 @ Nov 13 2017, 08:14 AM) *

I remember Cap'n Krusty saying that if you rolled the car around before tightening you could ruin them. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

Yup, that's been known for a long time. They're usually OK for just sitting, and maybe for pushing across the shop once or twice, without the stub axle in and torqued. But if you're doing anything more than that, the stub has to be in there and it has to be torqued up properly.

--DD
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Nov 13 2017, 12:00 PM
Post #16

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

always insert the stub and at least snug it down. even for rolling around the shop.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
jim_hoyland
post Nov 13 2017, 02:56 PM
Post #17

Get that VIN ?

Member No.: 643

QUOTE(MarkV @ Nov 12 2017, 12:52 PM) *

I had a new FAG bearing made in Slovakia or some place that had play in it. It wasn't loose in the bore the bearing center was loose in the race. I could move the wheel back and forth 1/4" and it made noise when driving. Replaced it with an ebay $15 bearing made in China and it has been fine ever since.

There is this Boxster youtube..... said there was a batch of bad bearings and that they had very little grease in them form the factory. Same part # as 914 bearing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-A5kf5pXl4w

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9P1R2clGAU

Great videos ! I just replaced both rear bearings and now i’m Hearing one again. Is it too late too late to regrease the noisy bearing ?
+Quote Post
colingreene
post Nov 13 2017, 02:59 PM
Post #18

Member No.: 16,526

Jim its a sealed bearing, i dont think you can re grease it.
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Nov 13 2017, 03:20 PM
Post #19

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(colingreene @ Nov 13 2017, 03:59 PM) *

Jim its a sealed bearing, i dont think you can re grease it.

You can. There’s even a good video.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Spoke
post Nov 13 2017, 03:34 PM
Post #20

Jerry

Member No.: 3,031

QUOTE(mepstein @ Nov 13 2017, 01:00 PM) *

always insert the stub and at least snug it down. even for rolling around the shop.

I read somewhere or from someone here that you should never roll a 914 without the rear hubs attached to prevent bearing damage.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 05:27 AM