Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Subaru EZ30R conversion, will the 6 speed transmission work?
Aircooledfool
post May 15 2018, 12:18 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,858
Region Association: None

I would like to use the 6 speed transmission that I can purchased mated to the EZ30R. When I look at Bremarauto's site, they say their 2WD conversion kit does not work with the 6 speed. Has anyone already used this transmission? If so, can you point me to the conversion parts you used?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
mgp4591
post May 15 2018, 12:28 PM
Post #2

914 Guru

Member No.: 14,748
Region Association: Intermountain Region

QUOTE(Aircooledfool @ May 15 2018, 12:18 PM) *

I would like to use the 6 speed transmission that I can purchased mated to the EZ30R. When I look at Bremarauto's site, they say their 2WD conversion kit does not work with the 6 speed. Has anyone already used this transmission? If so, can you point me to the conversion parts you used?

2wd conversion kit aside, others who have thought about this and have researched it fully say that the six speed is too big to fit. Unless you were to gut the trunk, you'd have a hard time fitting it just for another gear.
+Quote Post
76-914
post May 16 2018, 08:51 AM
Post #3

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964
Region Association: Southern California

Are you using a stand alone ECU or factory w/ CANbus emulator?
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Aircooledfool
post May 16 2018, 07:21 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 6,858

Plan is to use stand alone ECU which is yet to be determined. Considering SDS and Link now but open to recommendations.
+Quote Post
76-914
post May 16 2018, 08:57 PM
Post #5

This allows you use the OEM ECU and retain AVCS feature. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) http://www.subarugears.com/subatronics/index.html
+Quote Post
Chi-town
post Sep 5 2018, 11:09 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 22,446

The factory ECU (JDM/USDM/EU) has the immobilizer in it and I have not seen anyone be able to shut it off even Ecutek in the UK (they can do EJ ecu immobilizer defeats). You would need the entire harness, immobilizer module, cluster, ecu and keys from your donor car.

The Link G4+Fury can operate the electronic throttle, AVCS, and AVLS systems and they have existing base maps to get you going quickly. It also has dual knock channels as the EZ30 runs dual knock sensors.

If you need all the engine connectors contact www.iwireservices.com they can set you up.

The 6mt is about 3-4" taller than the 5mt, it also weighs nearly 75lbs more and eats up about 10% more in drivetrain losses (that may be reduced in a fwd config.)

You can get the conversion kit from Factory Five Racing as they are starting to use them in the 818 kit cars. They provide the cable shifter levers also.
https://www.factoryfive.com/wp-content/uplo...-Conversion.pdf

or Subarugears

http://www.subarugears.com/Pricing/Pricing.html

For the money you can do a 5 speed with a good gear set like Albins and save your self a lot of issues and weight.

The 5mt also gives you a 3:90, 4:11, and 4:44 final drive options.

The 6mt only has 3:90 unless you can find an ultra rare 4:44 RA Gravel box.

The one advantage the 6mt has is it comes with a torsen style front LSD which is nice, but you can add the same to the 5mt or if you find an GC8 RA 5mt it will already have it.

Hope that helps.
+Quote Post
76-914
post Sep 5 2018, 12:56 PM
Post #7

QUOTE(Chi-town @ Sep 5 2018, 10:09 AM) *

The factory ECU (JDM/USDM/EU) has the immobilizer in it and I have not seen anyone be able to shut it off even Ecutek in the UK (they can do EJ ecu immobilizer defeats). You would need the entire harness, immobilizer module, cluster, ecu and keys from your donor car.

The Link G4+Fury can operate the electronic throttle, AVCS, and AVLS systems and they have existing base maps to get you going quickly. It also has dual knock channels as the EZ30 runs dual knock sensors.

If you need all the engine connectors contact www.iwireservices.com they can set you up.

The 6mt is about 3-4" taller than the 5mt, it also weighs nearly 75lbs more and eats up about 10% more in drivetrain losses (that may be reduced in a fwd config.)

You can get the conversion kit from Factory Five Racing as they are starting to use them in the 818 kit cars. They provide the cable shifter levers also.
https://www.factoryfive.com/wp-content/uplo...-Conversion.pdf

or Subarugears

http://www.subarugears.com/Pricing/Pricing.html

For the money you can do a 5 speed with a good gear set like Albins and save your self a lot of issues and weight.

The 5mt also gives you a 3:90, 4:11, and 4:44 final drive options.

The 6mt only has 3:90 unless you can find an ultra rare 4:44 RA Gravel box.

The one advantage the 6mt has is it comes with a torsen style front LSD which is nice, but you can add the same to the 5mt or if you find an GC8 RA 5mt it will already have it.

Hope that helps.

Good info on the Fury ECU. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
Chi-town
post Sep 5 2018, 03:41 PM
Post #8

Yeah, I've been doing my homework as this is my next project too.

I plan on doing a EZ36 for the dual AVCS as I plan on keeping it N/A.
+Quote Post
Chris914n6
post Sep 5 2018, 05:42 PM
Post #9

Jackstands are my life.

Member No.: 431
Region Association: Southwest Region

No real benefit to the 6 speed as first and last gear are the same ratio as the 5 speed. In my opinion, it's mostly negative from a 914 perspective.
+Quote Post
Chi-town
post Sep 5 2018, 07:06 PM
Post #10

QUOTE(Chris914n6 @ Sep 5 2018, 04:42 PM) *

No real benefit to the 6 speed as first and last gear are the same ratio as the 5 speed. In my opinion, it's mostly negative from a 914 perspective.

If you plan to really beat on it the 5mt will shatter 2nd or 3rd under heavy launches with stock gears. They also have a known issue where the 3rd gear double coned syncro with break the double cone causing shifting issues into 3rd and 4th. The JDM RA boxes and USDM LGT boxes will hold up to a bit more but nothing close to the 6MT.
+Quote Post
Chris914n6
post Sep 5 2018, 07:57 PM
Post #11

Jackstands are my life.

Member No.: 431
Region Association: Southwest Region

QUOTE(Chi-town @ Sep 5 2018, 06:06 PM) *

QUOTE(Chris914n6 @ Sep 5 2018, 04:42 PM) *

If you plan to really beat on it the 5mt will shatter 2nd or 3rd under heavy launches with stock gears. They also have a known issue where the 3rd gear double coned syncro with break the double cone causing shifting issues into 3rd and 4th. The JDM RA boxes and USDM LGT boxes will hold up to a bit more but nothing close to the 6MT.

Is that in a 3400lb awd car or a 2200lb 914? Thanks to physics the results will vary...
+Quote Post
914forme
post Sep 5 2018, 08:18 PM
Post #12

Times a wastin', get wrenchin'!

Member No.: 2,388

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) and really most of you are running an open diff so you got a 1 wheel drive car.

If your worried about busting the trans, run a fuse somewhere either a CV joint out of a 914-4 or skinny tires. Skinny tires can make for a fun ride.

Both are cheaper and easier than replacing a trans.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif) I don't know any one @Amenson who beats on their 914 Subaru conversion (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post
Chi-town
post Sep 6 2018, 08:22 AM
Post #13

QUOTE(Chris914n6 @ Sep 5 2018, 06:57 PM) *

Is that in a 3400lb awd car or a 2200lb 914? Thanks to physics the results will vary...

I've seen it in a sub-2000lb 818 with sticky tires and an aggressive driver.
+Quote Post
76-914
post Sep 6 2018, 08:34 AM
Post #14

QUOTE(Chi-town @ Sep 5 2018, 02:41 PM) *

Yeah, I've been doing my homework as this is my next project too.

I plan on doing a EZ36 for the dual AVCS as I plan on keeping it N/A.

So the Fury model ecu will handle the Can Bus or do you need the "canbus work around" module from Subaru Gears, too?
+Quote Post
rnellums
post Sep 6 2018, 01:40 PM
Post #15

Professional Enthusiast

Member No.: 11,072
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

It kinda depends on which 6-speed you are referring to. the STI 6-speed is too long to fit easily. If its the newer 6mt, which is already cable shift, I believe its the same dimensions as the 5mt, but the ratios aren't really any better.

I have been debating building a 6mt box with custom ratios though, might be pretty potent.
+Quote Post
Chi-town
post Sep 6 2018, 03:37 PM
Post #16

QUOTE(76-914 @ Sep 6 2018, 07:34 AM) *

So the Fury model ecu will handle the Can Bus or do you need the "canbus work around" module from Subaru Gears, too?

If you're running a standalone the CAN bus doesn't apply any more unless you're trying to run an auto.

QUOTE(rnellums @ Sep 6 2018, 12:40 PM) *

It kinda depends on which 6-speed you are referring to. the STI 6-speed is too long to fit easily. If its the newer 6mt, which is already cable shift, I believe its the same dimensions as the 5mt, but the ratios aren't really any better.

I have been debating building a 6mt box with custom ratios though, might be pretty potent.

The 5+1=6 speed cable shift was just a bad idea from the start. Take a 5 speed who's original design was meant for 80hp and already self destructs at 225hp and narrow all the gear profiles to fit another gear. To make it that much worse there are no interchanging parts and aftermarket parts are almost non existent.(Most of the motor press commented that they would rather drive the automatic version of the car rather than that 6 speed when it was introduced (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) )

The STi 6 speed is very closely modeled after the Porsche units (rumors were that Porsche engineering was hired for the design but no proof). They usually break right around 550hp depending on driver. It's gear clusters are roughly double the size of a 5mt. It's internal oil pump (with a 1 year exception) can also be used for an external oil cooler and the list of advantages goes on.

The FFR 6 speed conversion cuts off the tail section so length isn't really an issue but I believe trunk floor clearance may be too tight.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 12:25 PM