Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> LE 15322, It will be six years in November
rstover
post Sep 11 2018, 04:39 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,785
Region Association: Southwest Region

I was not going to start thread until the car was home, but it is getting close and I want to share some pictures of the car and the progress.

Attached File  IMG_2173.mov ( 3.24mb ) Number of downloads: 1028
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Sep 11 2018, 04:42 PM
Post #2

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Congrats. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
rgalla9146
post Sep 11 2018, 04:50 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 5,176
Region Association: None

WOW ! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wub.gif)
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
914_7T3
post Sep 11 2018, 05:18 PM
Post #4

Please forgive me, I'm new to all of this!

Member No.: 20,991
Region Association: Southern California

Wow, Its like a mirror! Will you be painting inside the trunks and engine bay as well?

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)
+Quote Post
poorsche914
post Sep 11 2018, 05:18 PM
Post #5

T4 Supercharged

Member No.: 10,419
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Sep 11 2018, 06:50 PM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)
+Quote Post
rstover
post Sep 11 2018, 06:41 PM
Post #6

Attached Image

My favorite section of a 914 is the rear deck. The simple line and immense flat area sets it apart from all others. I received this from the painter today and it made my day. He thought it was good. I thought it was crazy good. Some guy named Jeff told me to get it painted in single stage. I hope he approves.
+Quote Post
914Sixer
post Sep 11 2018, 09:18 PM
Post #7

914 Guru

Member No.: 3,457

I know the restoration on this car. I can't wait to see the paint in person.
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Sep 11 2018, 09:21 PM
Post #8

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

It took me a second to figure out the picture. Quite the reflection.
+Quote Post
billh1963
post Sep 12 2018, 07:41 AM
Post #9

Car Hoarder!

Member No.: 12,871
Region Association: South East States

That reflection in the movie is awesome!
+Quote Post
EdwardBlume
post Sep 12 2018, 08:10 AM
Post #10

914 Wizard

Member No.: 81
Region Association: Central California

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)
+Quote Post
rstover
post Sep 12 2018, 04:57 PM
Post #11

QUOTE(914_7T3 @ Sep 11 2018, 06:18 PM) *

Wow, Its like a mirror! Will you be painting inside the trunks and engine bay as well?

At this time I have painted the front trunk only where needed. The area to the front of the gas tank is very nice. The headlight buckets will need a little attention. There is no deep rust in them. The area up under the cowl was good and all it needs is a good cleaning. Where the gas tank sits there was a spot of rust that had pitted a bit. You can see in the picture where it was. I sanded this out and just painted this small area. There was surface rust in the area below the gas tank which you can also see. I used various wire wheels on a drill and sanded it to get all the rust removed. The area was then sprayed with Permatex rust treatment. After a day or so I wipe off the excess and use a etching primer and then paint.

There were three types of material used as gas tank pads when I removed the tank. To the front on the tank were the two carpet pads. There was no problem under those pads. On the flat part of the tank to the rear of the tank was a strip which I think was a furniture protection felt strip. It was long and narrow and it caused no problem. The other piece I think was a piece of leather. This is where the rust was.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
rstover
post Sep 12 2018, 04:59 PM
Post #12

Attached Image
+Quote Post
914_7T3
post Sep 13 2018, 03:51 PM
Post #13

QUOTE(rstover @ Sep 12 2018, 03:59 PM) *

At this time I have painted the front trunk only where needed. The area to the front of the gas tank is very nice. The headlight buckets will need a little attention. There is no deep rust in them. The area up under the cowl was good and all it needs is a good cleaning. Where the gas tank sits there was a spot of rust that had pitted a bit. You can see in the picture where it was. I sanded this out and just painted this small area. There was surface rust in the area below the gas tank which you can also see. I used various wire wheels on a drill and sanded it to get all the rust removed. The area was then sprayed with Permatex rust treatment. After a day or so I wipe off the excess and use a etching primer and then paint.

There were three types of material used as gas tank pads when I removed the tank. To the front on the tank were the two carpet pads. There was no problem under those pads. On the flat part of the tank to the rear of the tank was a strip which I think was a furniture protection felt strip. It was long and narrow and it caused no problem. The other piece I think was a piece of leather. This is where the rust was.

I know exactly what you mean!

Attached Image
Attached Image
+Quote Post
euro911
post Sep 13 2018, 04:04 PM
Post #14

Retired & living the dream. God help me if I wake up!

Member No.: 7,300

Wow ... looks great, Roger. Now I can see why you desired the nicest trim pieces available to finish it off. Glad to hear the upper windshield trim made the trip OK, and that it met with your expectations. Looking forward to the progression to completion.
+Quote Post
rstover
post Sep 13 2018, 05:55 PM
Post #15

QUOTE(914_7T3 @ Sep 13 2018, 04:51 PM) *

QUOTE(rstover @ Sep 12 2018, 03:59 PM) *

I know exactly what you mean!

Attached Image
Attached Image

The pad on the flat part looks familiar. What kind of material do you think it is?

+Quote Post
rstover
post Sep 13 2018, 06:00 PM
Post #16

Attached Image

The pad on the right was the one that caused a problem on my car.
+Quote Post
aggiezig
post Sep 13 2018, 08:04 PM
Post #17

Porsche Wannabe

Member No.: 19,557

your reflections are stunning!!!
+Quote Post
914_7T3
post Sep 13 2018, 11:01 PM
Post #18

QUOTE(rstover @ Sep 13 2018, 05:00 PM) *

Attached Image

The pad on the right was the one that caused a problem on my car.

That was the original pad from the factory and they retain moisture. I will be replacing with adhesive backed rubber!
+Quote Post
rstover
post Nov 5 2018, 06:55 PM
Post #19

The air box is in. I was very apprehensive about getting it back in place and really did not have a plan. I don't read all the post, but I had not seen one that said it was easy.

Attached Image

I had a few starts and stops and a few redos. I seperated box from fan then installed the box. With the box in I didn't have room to attach the control wire.

Attached Image (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

Start over. Removed air box to allow room to attach control wire. Even with the box removed this was the most difficult task. I had marked the spot where the wire was attached so I knew where it needed to be. With the washers and a tight fit this gave me a fit. I ended up putting in the bolt with the small hole in and then the near washer and used a little super glue to hold them in place. After the nut secured the wire in place I attached the outer rubber cable. With the wire control in place the fan will set flat and there is room to insert air box. It slid up easily and tightened the box in place.

I hooked up electric wire before attaching fan.

Getting the fan bolted to box was a challenge. I had to get some longer 5 mm bolts to align it then hold it in place while I got the short bolts in.

Attached Image
Attached Image

I don't know if valve is supposed to be completely close, but it wont be on this car.

Attached Image
Attached Image

At this position the fan was blowing full and flat was wide open. I don't know if this is perfect , but I don't want to start over.

+Quote Post
rstover
post Nov 17 2018, 04:44 PM
Post #20

Finished the dash today. It was another one of the items to do that was completely new to me. Thanks to all 914 world members that have shared information and my wife the project was finished and I was happy with the result.

Attached Image

Attached Image

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 01:41 PM