Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 2019 OCR White Glove Concours Event June 15, 2019, 914 corral
SRS914
post Nov 7 2018, 04:28 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 22,379
Region Association: Southern California

I'm a new guy here but I was approached by Norm Follis with PCA's Orange Coast chapter at a recent gathering about a proposed 914 corral at the 2019 OCR White Glove Concours event at Sea Terrace Park in Dana Point on June 15, 2019.

The proposed 914 corral would be for all years and 914 models regardless of condition. Obviously, we welcome those 914 owners that want to enter the Concours to have their cars judged, however, we also want those cars that are for display only. We would certainly get far more cars registered for the enjoyment of the spectators by encouraging all comers.

We are currently in the process of designing the field for car placement and realizing the event date is several months away, if possible, I would like to get a general idea of the approximate number of 914s that we might expect to attend the event. Would be great to have a strong showing. Let me know if you are interested.

Shawn Smithson
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Larmo63
post Nov 7 2018, 04:36 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 17,068

Sea Terrace Park will be a much better venue than the Mile Square affair of the last few years.

I'm sure you'll get a very nice turn out of 914s!!!
+Quote Post
sb914
post Nov 7 2018, 05:46 PM
Post #3

Surf Guru

Member No.: 15,191

About 23 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png)
+Quote Post
jim_hoyland
post Nov 7 2018, 09:18 PM
Post #4

Get that VIN ?

Member No.: 643

I'm interested now that it's back in Dsna Point. Will volunteer to help in the early am set up too

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Nov 7 2018, 10:49 PM
Post #5

Apex killer!

Member No.: 3,380
Region Association: Northern California

So Shawn, you want members of the FGruppe to come to a “White Glove” event?

Reminds me of my first concours when one of the judges showed me a handful of gravel he found in my rocker panels. I told him that was good Thunderhill gravel and he should put it back where he found it!

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
SRS914
post Nov 8 2018, 01:34 AM
Post #6

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Nov 7 2018, 11:49 PM) *

So Shawn, you want members of the FGruppe to come to a “White Glove” event?

Reminds me of my first concours when one of the judges showed me a handful of gravel he found in my rocker panels. I told him that was good Thunderhill gravel and he should put it back where he found it!

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)
+Quote Post
SRS914
post Nov 8 2018, 01:37 AM
Post #7

QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Nov 7 2018, 10:18 PM) *

I'm interested now that it's back in Dsna Point. Will volunteer to help in the early am set up too

Thanks Jim, I will pass that along.
+Quote Post
whitetwinturbo
post Nov 19 2018, 11:15 AM
Post #8

Honey, does this wing make my ass look fat?

Member No.: 13,704

........if my sled is running by then I'd be game!
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
dr914@autoatlanta.com
post Nov 19 2018, 11:33 AM
Post #9

914 Guru

Member No.: 7,418
Region Association: None

Tom T should be asked to be one of the judges
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Jan 10 2019, 05:24 PM
Post #10

TMI....

Member No.: 10,181

QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Nov 19 2018, 10:33 AM) *

Tom T should be asked to be one of the judges

George,

I always volunteer as one of the judges for the OCR Concours part of this event, as I do for 3-6+ per year throughout the year. The next one upcoming will be at the Westlake Village CA Hyatt on Sat. 1-19-19 - for those interested.

What our OCR Chair & others have noticed over the past few years - even at the less scenic Fountain Valley CA park venue - is that we always have a very large & tight-knit 914 turn-out for display cars - in addition to the few who actually enter the judged event. They've also seen the great 914 turn-out for our monthly breakfast meetings' "Cone Zone" when it features 914s.

This is mostly due to 914world & 914club members showing up BTW.

So after a few years of trying to get at least a 914 section in the display area - Norm went the step further & asked Shawn to help him organize an actual "914 Corral"! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)

Although in the PCA-OCR club's email Norm et al called it by the "914 SIG" (Special Interest Group) - which isn't active much at all now, but it is a PCA group, & many of us on here are also signed up for the SIG.

Shawn - Thanx for taking this duty on, & please make sure that you talk Norm into including 914world & 914club on the credits & signage - if he's able to do so under PCA Rules. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

For those interested, there was an evil-bay vendor in the UK who was producing repro 914 SIG grill badges like the one below - so maybe somebody can talk him into doing a new run & GB of them. I got one back in 2017 IIRC, & they're nicely done.

> click on "go to original listing":
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-914-Badge-...5.m43663.l10137

Attached Image

- even if you're not a 914 SIG member - many/most like this badge design

Cheers! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
Tom
//////
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Jan 10 2019, 05:43 PM
Post #11

TMI....

PS -

Remember guys & gals that these events are open to all 914s - regardless if your re-engined them with a V8, Subie, EV, etc. or otherwise modified them - for Display, 914 Corral, Concours Judging, AX, Track & DE Events, Rallies, etc. It's the fact that they're a Porsche Chassis that makes them eligible.

And if you're interested in entering for the judged Concours part of the event (or any others in PCA Z8, etc.) - in Zone 8 we now have a separate judged Class for 914s only in all Divisions from Wash & Shine Div. (W&S - ext & int only judged), Street & Preservation (75% original paint & interior) & Special Categories (see below) Divs. (ext, int, engine & storage judged), & Full Concours (the other 4 areas + 2 undercarriage with & without engine [front & rear undersides]).

So 914ers have a chance for awards in every Division, including the easiest to prep for W&S! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)

And if you have a Subie, V8, EV or other engine swap - then you have the option to enter in one of Special Categories, as well as if yours is a dedicated track &/or AX car in another Special Cats. sub-div. - so you don't have to go up against the garage queens & high end full restos. These often don't have a lot of cars, so sometimes easier to take home awards - but the 3 SC Sub-Divs do mix all types of "Specials" regardless of model.

And if you happen to own one of the 916s, then you can enter the 3rd Special Cats. for limited edition models .... George!

So don't be afraid to enter your 914s, since you could win both the 914 Class in any Division above (except Specials), plus the Division if good enough, & perhaps best of show overall (assuming that they still do that award this year). So possible multiple mantle or showcase stuffers! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/first.gif)

And remember that this has NOTHING to do with Originality for the judging - but is only a contest for the best cleaning, detailing, presentation, etc. of the cars. You only have to have maintained 75% original paint/exterior & 75% original interior & be over 20 years old (25?) in order to be qualified to enter Preservation Division, but originality is not judged per se.

Tom
///////
+Quote Post
Gmanscott55
post Jan 10 2019, 07:32 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 19,630

Will be there if back in Dana Point.
+Quote Post
SO.O.C914er
post Jan 10 2019, 08:41 PM
Post #13

Member No.: 20,199

I’m with Eddy on this one. We had 20 at Seal Beach in November and 26 in Seal Beach in 2017. Oscar how many showed in Temecula 2017 more then 20? I think. Plan for 25 to 30 the 914ers will fill it!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) ..... Paul
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Jan 10 2019, 09:03 PM
Post #14

TMI....

QUOTE(SO.O.C914er @ Jan 10 2019, 07:41 PM) *

I’m with Eddy on this one. We had 20 at Seal Beach in November and 26 in Seal Beach in 2017. Oscar how many showed in Temecula 2017 more then 20? I think. Plan for 25 to 30 the 914ers will fill it!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) ..... Paul

Let's also get a few of the sweet CW queens in the judged categories too - so we can show the taildraggers & those things with water running through them that we 914ers can concours too! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/first.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Tom
///////
+Quote Post
Blue6
post Jan 10 2019, 09:13 PM
Post #15

Member No.: 16,470

Hopefully Jim is watchin this thread. His screen name is banananose or weeniehead, or something close.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Jan 10 2019, 09:20 PM
Post #16

Apex killer!

Member No.: 3,380
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Jan 10 2019, 08:43 PM) *

PS -

Remember guys & gals that these events are open to all 914s - regardless if your re-engined them with a V8, Subie, EV, etc. or otherwise modified them - for Display, 914 Corral, Concours Judging, AX, Track & DE Events, Rallies, etc. It's the fact that they're a Porsche Chassis that makes them eligible.

And if you're interested in entering for the judged Concours part of the event (or any others in PCA Z8, etc.) - in Zone 8 we now have a separate judged Class for 914s only in all Divisions from Wash & Shine Div. (W&S - ext & int only judged), Street & Preservation (75% original paint & interior) & Special Categories (see below) Divs. (ext, int, engine & storage judged), & Full Concours (the other 4 areas + 2 undercarriage with & without engine [front & rear undersides]).

So 914ers have a chance for awards in every Division, including the easiest to prep for W&S! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)

And if you have a Subie, V8, EV or other engine swap - then you have the option to enter in one of Special Categories, as well as if yours is a dedicated track &/or AX car in another Special Cats. sub-div. - so you don't have to go up against the garage queens & high end full restos. These often don't have a lot of cars, so sometimes easier to take home awards - but the 3 SC Sub-Divs do mix all types of "Specials" regardless of model.

And if you happen to own one of the 916s, then you can enter the 3rd Special Cats. for limited edition models .... George!

So don't be afraid to enter your 914s, since you could win both the 914 Class in any Division above (except Specials), plus the Division if good enough, & perhaps best of show overall (assuming that they still do that award this year). So possible multiple mantle or showcase stuffers! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/first.gif)

And remember that this has NOTHING to do with Originality for the judging - but is only a contest for the best cleaning, detailing, presentation, etc. of the cars. You only have to have maintained 75% original paint/exterior & 75% original interior & be over 20 years old (25?) in order to be qualified to enter Preservation Division, but originality is not judged per se.

Tom
///////

Tom that’s an awful lot of words to say ‘it’s a car washing contest.’ (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif)
+Quote Post
914 Ranch
post Jan 11 2019, 02:07 AM
Post #17

Team Sharp where the 914 grow wings

Member No.: 19,611
Region Association: South East States

You guys are slacking. I have had over 30 914's at my house in Huntington Beach... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mad.gif)
+Quote Post
bdstone914
post Jan 11 2019, 05:01 AM
Post #18

bdstone914

Member No.: 1,319

QUOTE(914 Ranch @ Jan 11 2019, 02:07 AM) *

You guys are slacking. I have had over 30 914's at my house in Huntington Beach... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mad.gif)

But we only came for the food. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif)
Bruce
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Jan 11 2019, 02:01 PM
Post #19

TMI....

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Jan 10 2019, 08:20 PM) *

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Jan 10 2019, 08:43 PM) *

PS -

Tom
///////

Tom that’s an awful lot of words to say ‘it’s a car washing contest.’ (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif)

Oh, but Rob, the powers that be at Zone 8 have gone to great lengths to parse it into many subsections & degrees of cleaning, with judges duly trained in looking at & feeling around for said cleaning, then pumping it up in to such grandiose pomposity with all sorts of awards as to who has the cleanest Porsche - & one must overly pronounce that as Poor-shah to be in the in club! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

Seriously though - I don't want 914ers put off because they don't have the right nut or bolt, or don't have time to clean & wax the underside of their cars, etc.
- nor to have the V8, Subie, EV folks think that they're excluded either.

Heck - in 2015 an EV 914 took all of Street Div. last time we were in Dana Point!

Attached Image

And despite the name - we do NOT wear white gloves for judging! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

Just clean-up & detail out your car in the areas you want judged, then have some fun!
.... or just wash it - or not - & park with the restof the NARPs!

And they will have some food, & it's usually included in the entry fee, or pay as you go otherwise! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/chowtime.gif)

Tom
///////
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Jan 11 2019, 02:09 PM
Post #20

TMI....

QUOTE(Blue6 @ Jan 10 2019, 08:13 PM) *

Hopefully Jim is watchin this thread. His screen name is banananose or weeniehead, or something close.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif) ... he'll get you for that! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 02:49 AM