Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> D-Jet annoyances, The final solution
saigon71
post Jun 8 2019, 05:46 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,428
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Even in a fine state of tune with no vacuum leaks and the ECU set to full rich, my cars idle would hunt terribly during warm-up (occasionally stalling).

The other problem I have is that on particularly hot days, the car heat-soaks if I shut it down while running an errand. It becomes extreemly difficult to start until it cools off. I'm not talking vapor lock here, definately heat soak.

Last year it left me stranded in a cemetary following a funeral in the blistering sun. Twice, heat soak has caused my car to not start while on a date, which is a little embarrassing in your 40's. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

I drive this car a lot and needed to find a permanent solution.

I studied this thread closely:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=298261

After considering a bunch of alternatives, I felt the best all around fix was indeed a parmanent trim knob in the passenger compartment. Based on the testing and research by PBanders, I only needed to richen the mixture for both problems.

I'm not big on drilling extra holes in my car, so I fabricated a custom bracket that takes the place of one of lower dash washers to mount the potentiometer.

I tested it today. It wasn't hot enough to verify that it will cure the heat soak condition, but it sure worked awesome to smooth out the idle hunt during warmup. I'm pretty sure it will work to get me over the heat soak condion and allow me to start the car as I can instantly add 500 ohms of resistance to the CHT circuit and cause the mixtrue to richen.

I used a 500 ohm pot for this. I'll try a 1,000 ohm pot if the 500 doesn't cure the heat soak problem.

A huge thanks to Pbanders for his research thread listed above. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

Attached Image

Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 8th June 2024 - 04:59 PM