Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Gotta love the internet, Facebook group rant
IronHillRestorations
post Jul 15 2019, 09:29 PM
Post #1

I. I. R. C.

Group: Members
Member No.: 439
Region Association: None

The first time we had a Renegade Festival in Hot Springs (2nd mid west event), I lucked up and got a tech rep from BG Petroleum Products to give us a tech session. BG (was Wynn's Spitfire) makes fuel and oil additives. Their fuel additive is very effective for helping remove excess carbon build up. This is especially a problem in Japanese cars, or at least it was 20 years ago. He had quite a bit of technical data and, was there for a Toyota, or Honda tech summit of sorts. I saw him getting stuff out of the truck with a big BG on the side and started asking questions, and he graciously agreed to give us a tech session.

The guy did a cool "Mr. Science" kind of demonstration showing the difference between regular and premium gasoline. The demo showed that regular gas burns faster and cleaner than premium. He put a small eye dropper of each fuel on their own white Corell saucer. The regular burned without a lot of smoke and left a little residue. The premium burned slower, made noticeably more waxy like smoke, and left much more residue on the plate. Part of the point is to demonstrate that gasoline octane is the opposite of what most people think, "high test" or "the good stuff" is less volatile and has more additives. High octane fuel is the same fuel as regular, but with an additive package to lower the volatility, raising the octane for higher compression engines. He went on to say that you should use whatever your auto manufacturer recommends, and if no solid recommendation the general rule of thumb is to use the lowest octane you can, without getting pinging, or pre-ignition. Using high octane fuel in an engine that doesn't require it, can result in more unburned fuel, that can cause carbon build up in the combustion chamber, raising compression, and thereby requiring you to use a higher octane fuel that adds to the problem. Make sense? Are you tracking with me?

Most all of the guys there had questions, as well as their minds changed about the best fuel to use, in any car.

Someone posted on one of the 914 FB groups asking "what octane fuel should I use". My reply was based on my own experience, but mostly on the info from the BG rep: "Unless the mfr or engine builder says otherwise, you should run the lowest octane you can as long as you don't get pinging, or run on. Octane additives typically translate into carbon build up in the combustion chambers." Good grief, you'd have thought I said there's no Santa Claus, or our 914 is just a VW.

I've been around these cars for a while, and cringe whenever I get called an "expert" or "guru". Part of the great thing about our internet 914 community is we get to share insight and experiences both helpful and otherwise. Most everyone of us that's been elbows deep in a project has something good to share, even if it's "man I really messed up" But some people have to tell you how wrong you are, even if you aren't far off the mark, I don't get it (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
IronHillRestorations   Gotta love the internet   Jul 15 2019, 09:29 PM
GaroldShaffer   Yep I seen that posting. How dare you call 914s a ...   Jul 15 2019, 10:36 PM
Larmo63   So, should I :idea: try half a tank of regular?   Jul 15 2019, 11:11 PM
steuspeed   Great info! My cheap ass always runs the lowes...   Jul 15 2019, 11:11 PM
Superhawk996   :WTF: There is no Santa Claus? 1) Facts don...   Jul 16 2019, 04:19 AM
bbrock   :WTF: There is no Santa Claus? 1) Facts don...   Jul 16 2019, 08:01 AM
jd74914   Well put. Hard to believe the octane thing is st...   Jul 16 2019, 08:43 AM
Superhawk996   I'm finishing my PhD; having spent the last...   Jul 16 2019, 10:51 AM
jd74914   Ha! You’re a better man than I. I took a ...   Jul 17 2019, 03:40 AM
914Sixer   I know just enough to be stupid.   Jul 16 2019, 05:52 AM
dr914@autoatlanta.com   excellent post, and in my opinion also dead on. I...   Jul 16 2019, 08:14 AM
Olympic 914   I use the 89 octane in the teener with somewhere a...   Jul 16 2019, 09:12 AM
UROpartsman   With an older car that only pings when it's ho...   Jul 16 2019, 09:43 AM
SirAndy   The whole point of higher octane is to make it har...   Jul 16 2019, 11:32 AM
Dave_Darling   Well, atmospheric pressure at somewhere near sea l...   Jul 16 2019, 11:53 AM
bbrock   And to add to the mess... the only ethanol-free ga...   Jul 16 2019, 03:02 PM
Chi-town   Combustion chamber design, spark plugs location, i...   Jul 16 2019, 05:57 PM
bbrock   Saying "you should always run the lowest oct...   Jul 16 2019, 07:04 PM
jd74914   Saying "you should always run the lowest oc...   Jul 16 2019, 07:53 PM
bbrock   Hopefully that answered your question in a somew...   Jul 16 2019, 09:19 PM
jd74914   Well not quite. If I'm understanding, that...   Jul 17 2019, 03:35 AM
tmc914   Well, I remember back in the the early 70's wh...   Jul 16 2019, 07:16 PM
914-300Hemi   Always learn something new here. I always use what...   Jul 16 2019, 08:47 PM
Chi-town   Is there an example of when running higher octane...   Jul 17 2019, 09:01 AM
jfort   There is a reason why they used to use lead as an ...   Jul 17 2019, 09:28 AM

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 8th June 2024 - 12:46 PM