Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Okteenerfest caravan from the DFW area, Lets start planning.
ClayPerrine
post Jul 21 2019, 09:45 PM
Post #1

Life's been good to me so far.....

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,143
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

We are starting to plan the trip to and from Okteenerfest.

If you would like to travel with us, just let us know. The more the merrier. Any and all suggestions, ideas, etc.. are greatly appreciated.

We have been to Okteenerfest multiple times, and twice to Banner Elk, so here are the gotchas.

1. Registration in Banner Elk on Thursday is usually 3 to 7 in the afternoon/evening. It's better to get there early rather than late because registering on Friday is a pain in the ass. It's a lot more fun to get there early enough to get settled in, meet people, and figure out dinner. We normally make Wednesday a long day, and Thursday a short day of driving.

2. The time change. Around Rockwood, TN, on highway 40, we lose an hour. It bit us hard a couple years ago.

3. Anyone who is pulling a trailer is going to need a safe place to park when we stop for the night, both there and back.

4. Leaving DFW, Betty and I are going to trailer one car, and drive another, both trying to clear Dallas morning rush hour traffic to get to I-30 headed east. A long first day favors leaving early.

Questions for the group.

What time are y'all comfortable leaving in the morning? We found that leaving at 7am works for us.

In the past we have found hotels that were running $60 to $80 a night. What is a comfortable price range for a hotel for y'all?

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving-girl.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
scottthephotog
post Jul 22 2019, 12:18 PM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 22,667
Region Association: Southwest Region

Looking forward to Okteenerfest and caravaning sounds fun. My wife and I have family in the Carolinas and have made the I-20 trip to South Carolina many times. We've always done it in one shot (about 15 hours). I'm guessing we'd be taking I-30 to I-40 in Little Rock, and then it's pretty much I-40 to Banner Elk. I've driven that before but it's been a while.

I like the idea of arriving on the early side of check-in. It leaves some flexibility and we won't feel rushed to arrive on time. Roughly where do you think you'll want to stop for t Wednesday evening? After about 9-10 hours of driving? Are you thinking a similar idea for the return trip of splitting it across 2 days?

My wife and I are comfortable leaving at any time. Morning/night, early/late. Doesn't really matter to either of us. We've left at 6 am and 6 pm in the past for 15-hour drives. Where would you want to leave from?

In regards to hotel price, that seems fine.
+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post Jul 27 2019, 06:46 AM
Post #3

Anyone else going with us?
+Quote Post
michael7810
post Jul 27 2019, 12:20 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 13,164

Iā€™m taking a northern route this year thru Wichita and Bowling Green. See you in NC
+Quote Post
wvspin2
post Jul 27 2019, 08:53 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 21,737
Region Association: None

Hi all,

We're excited about Okteenerfest. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cheer.gif) We can be ready to leave anytime in the morning. We would prefer to take two days as a minimum for the long drive to Banner Elk. We are towing our 914 for comfort, it's a project and still in progress. I think we can be ready to leave by 7am in the morning. Hotel fees of $60-$80 per night are fine with us. I guess we need to make reservations quickly. We are the newbies so we are open to suggestions. Help, what's the plan? Where do you usually stop for the night? I really don't have a lot of insight to add right now, but look forward to making this trip with the group.

Warren
+Quote Post
Betty
post Jul 28 2019, 01:56 PM
Post #6

Driver

Member No.: 3,255
Region Association: South East States

Here's what we're thinking so far - totally open to any and all suggestions!

On The first travel day (Wednesday) hotel arrival time that night isn't as critical so morning leave time can be fluid as Warren and Karen can come our direction, stop and meet up with us. From there we head towards Dallas on 635, stopping again to meet up with Scott and Katie - or - we all pick a place over by Scott and Katie and just meet up there? From there it's get to Highway 30 and go east.

We're suggesting stopping for the night in Hurricane Mills TN. That makes for a little over 9 hour drive the first day. There are about 3-4 hotels in Hurricane Mills with some restaurants to pick from. If that works for everybody, we'd pick the Days Inn (15415 Highway 13 S, I-40 Exit #143, Hurricane Mills, TN 37078-2358, 1-800-329-1992, actual hotel is 1-931-296-7647) (the price is right and it looks like they have room for trailers to park). The hotels in town are all close together so don't feel obliged to stay where we do - we'll all have each other's cell phone numbers to be able to communicate.

The only sticky parts are going to be Dallas morning rush hour, and Memphis TN afternoon rush hour. We've done Memphis rush hour multiple times, it's definitely easier than DFW but the road quality really, really sucks HARD - which the two driven 914's have to worry about the most. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving-girl.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) We can all decide if we want to leave DFW earlier or later to minimize rush hour(s), or not?

So, if Hurricane Mills TN works for everybody, I'd recommend we get hotel reservations now?

Scott said he and Katie are both Road Warriors, if they want to drive straight through - more power to you! If you have any issues we'll come and help/rescue when we catch up to you. I always make the joke that long distance miles in a 914 should be counted at least 1 1/2 times regular car miles, so I know I'll need the overnight break in order to arrive in Banner Elk happy and ready to play. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)

That makes for just a 6 hour drive on Thursday to Banner Elk - but don't forget we lose one hour due to the time change around Rockwood TN! Depending on when we leave Hurricane Mills, that'll put us in Banner Elk around 4:00 p.m. Early enough to get unloaded, settled in, meeting people and ready to start having an incredible time! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cheer.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/chowtime.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving-girl.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/chowtime.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer3.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/first.gif) Seriously; you guys have no idea just how freakin' AWESOME this group of people is! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)

Coming back Sunday night we tend to split the drive into two more even driving days - I'm still working on that. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
wvspin2
post Jul 28 2019, 08:39 PM
Post #7

Hey y'all this sounds like a plan (IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

Well if everyone is on board with this plan, (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) than I guess we should make reservations at Hurricane Mills, TN at Day's Inn. We're good with Day's Inn. Is everyone ok with this location? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

So we just need to work on and fine tune the details (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) of meeting up and striking out to Banner Elk. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)

Betty, this all sounds good to us. We are starting to plan for the appropriate clothing for a trip to the Hills. Any idea what the weather is like there at that time of the year?

Looking forward to this trip! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)
Warren
+Quote Post
IronHillRestorations
post Jul 28 2019, 09:06 PM
Post #8

I. I. R. C.

Member No.: 439

I'd like to say I could be a waypoint, but we're in the process of closing on our property, and moving.

I'm moving my family to east TN next month. I will be staying here in Parsons to work on 914 projects and selling/packing up my shop. I can't come to the even (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

Since I'm trying to sell off as much as possible, anyone is welcome to stop by and see if I have anything you might need, actually please do. I'm sure I probably have a truckload of Porsche stuff you need (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Unfortunately I can't offer the hospitality I could've just a few months ago. I might be able to offer the studio on a Murphy bed, but that's up in the air too. FWIW I'm 20 mins off I40. I could check out the local motels and see what the rooms look like, if this is of any interest.
+Quote Post
scottthephotog
post Jul 29 2019, 12:50 PM
Post #9

Well, I just lost at least one cylinder on our 914, possibly 2 this past Thursday. No big bangs or anything just started driving progressively worse throughout the day. Started as I got close to work, so I couldn't really turn around. Checked cylinder compression when I got home. 1 & 3 were 115, 2 was 0, and I couldn't get a reading on 4. (I didn't have the patience to fight with trying to get the compression tester hose onto the spark plug hole). No visible damage to the case anywhere, but I haven't taken the engine tin off. Opened up the valve cover and things seem fine in there. Valve are adjusted correctly.

Still trying to figure out what I'm going to do. I had started rebuilding a 2.0L and I've got a decent amount of the parts. (Need a clutch, muffler, exhaust hanger, and heat exchangers.) I've got an appointment with Mayo to redo the heads, and I'm just going to order new cylinder jugs and pistons. The case, while dirty, looks fine and everything turns smoothly.

Either way, the 1.7L is going to have to come out to be fixed or to swap the 2.0L. I'm planning on trying to drop the 1.7L out of the car this coming weekend to get a better idea of what happened. Depending on which engine needs more work, that will decide my course of action. We'll see how much I can get done before September. Hopefully, we'll still be able to make it. If we can't get the 914 running by then, then we might take the 944, or just try again next year.
+Quote Post
wvspin2
post Jul 30 2019, 08:40 PM
Post #10

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif) Bummer, Por-sche' is a two syllable word. We would like to have you enjoy Okteenerfest. The 944 is a good option if the 914teener can't make the trip. Just do what you can to get it together by travel time. If it won't happen, don't sweat it (IMG:style_emoticons/default/hissyfit.gif) . Take what runs (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) . We want you with us (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) . If the 914 isn't up for the trip, come in the 944 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) .

btw....We made reservations at the Hurricane Mills Days Inn. We're (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif) looking forward to this event. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer3.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/chowtime.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/type.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/bye1.gif)

+Quote Post
Betty
post Aug 1 2019, 11:56 AM
Post #11

Driver

QUOTE(scottthephotog @ Jul 29 2019, 01:50 PM) *

Well, I just lost at least one cylinder on our 914, possibly 2 this past Thursday. No big bangs or anything just started driving progressively worse throughout the day. Started as I got close to work, so I couldn't really turn around. Checked cylinder compression when I got home. 1 & 3 were 115, 2 was 0, and I couldn't get a reading on 4. (I didn't have the patience to fight with trying to get the compression tester hose onto the spark plug hole). No visible damage to the case anywhere, but I haven't taken the engine tin off. Opened up the valve cover and things seem fine in there. Valve are adjusted correctly.

Still trying to figure out what I'm going to do. I had started rebuilding a 2.0L and I've got a decent amount of the parts. (Need a clutch, muffler, exhaust hanger, and heat exchangers.) I've got an appointment with Mayo to redo the heads, and I'm just going to order new cylinder jugs and pistons. The case, while dirty, looks fine and everything turns smoothly.

Either way, the 1.7L is going to have to come out to be fixed or to swap the 2.0L. I'm planning on trying to drop the 1.7L out of the car this coming weekend to get a better idea of what happened. Depending on which engine needs more work, that will decide my course of action. We'll see how much I can get done before September. Hopefully, we'll still be able to make it. If we can't get the 914 running by then, then we might take the 944, or just try again next year.

Dang Scott... it's always an adventure with old cars.

if you need ANYthing - parts (seriously, we've got parts!), help, whatever - call Clay. We'll see if we can get over to help if you need it. It'd be awesome if you guys can make it in the 914, awesome if you can make it in the 944, awesome if you can make it in anything! We'll try to help as much as we can! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cheer.gif)
+Quote Post
Betty
post Aug 1 2019, 12:10 PM
Post #12

Driver

QUOTE(wvspin2 @ Jul 28 2019, 09:39 PM) *

...We are starting to plan for the appropriate clothing for a trip to the Hills. Any idea what the weather is like there at that time of the year?

From the Googles.... average high for September is low 70's, the average low is low 50's. Average rainfall for the month is around 4", over only a few days. it can be a tad humid, but the winds tend to be the lowest.

That time of year is at the start of leaf changing season (all dependent on mother nature of course). Banner Elk's elevation is 3,701'.

If any stops are made at elevation during the Friday drive, a jacket might be welcome.
+Quote Post
scottthephotog
post Aug 3 2019, 06:20 PM
Post #13

QUOTE(Betty @ Aug 1 2019, 12:56 PM) *

Dang Scott... it's always an adventure with old cars.

if you need ANYthing - parts (seriously, we've got parts!), help, whatever - call Clay. We'll see if we can get over to help if you need it. It'd be awesome if you guys can make it in the 914, awesome if you can make it in the 944, awesome if you can make it in anything! We'll try to help as much as we can! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cheer.gif)

Thanks Betty, I appreciate that. I actually don't have you or Clay's number. I really should get that. I know an exhaust (head exchangers and muffler) for the 2.0L would be good. I can source one off Ebay, but if you guys have one you'd want to part with, I'd appreciate that so I don't have to worry and deal with shipping it. Just let me know so I can order in far enough out it if I need to.
+Quote Post
wvspin2
post Aug 13 2019, 08:02 AM
Post #14

How are you coming along with your engine resuscitations? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif) Can you give us a bref update? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) I hear their is a good machine shop in Cleburn. I'm here to cheer you on. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cheer.gif)
+Quote Post
Literati914
post Aug 13 2019, 11:46 AM
Post #15

Member No.: 7,222

QUOTE(scottthephotog @ Jul 29 2019, 01:50 PM) *

Hey Scott... I'm in Dallas and have a freshly rebuilt 1.7 with Djet and no miles on it - would you be interested in buying, or renting it 'til your 2L is done - or maybe just borrowing it (now til after okteenerfest or so)? that's a serious offer, so just LMK.
+Quote Post
scottthephotog
post Aug 13 2019, 01:45 PM
Post #16

QUOTE(wvspin2 @ Aug 13 2019, 09:02 AM) *

How are you coming along with your engine resuscitations? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif) Can you give us a bref update? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) I hear their is a good machine shop in Cleburn. I'm here to cheer you on. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cheer.gif)

It's getting there. Cleaning up the 2.0L case exterior. Inside of the case looks clean. Bearings and connecting rods are in good shape. Everything turns freely. I've got new pistons and jugs ordered. Heads are being redone by Mayo. Talked to them on Friday and they are making good progress. They should be ready in a week. Hopefully, the rest of the parts will be here soon and I can start assembly. While I'm in there, I'm going to install a new flywheel, clutch, and oil cooler.

QUOTE(Literati914 @ Aug 13 2019, 12:46 PM) *

Hey Scott... I'm in Dallas and have a freshly rebuilt 1.7 with Djet and no miles on it - would you be interested in buying, or renting it 'til your 2L is done - or maybe just borrowing it (now til after okteenerfest or so)? that's a serious offer, so just LMK.

Thanks, I appreciate that. I'll keep that in the back of my mind. So far, things seem to be progressing well, but if that changes, I might take you up on that 1.7.
+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post Aug 13 2019, 04:37 PM
Post #17

QUOTE(scottthephotog @ Aug 13 2019, 02:45 PM) *

QUOTE(wvspin2 @ Aug 13 2019, 09:02 AM) *

It's getting there. Cleaning up the 2.0L case exterior. Inside of the case looks clean. Bearings and connecting rods are in good shape. Everything turns freely. I've got new pistons and jugs ordered. Heads are being redone by Mayo. Talked to them on Friday and they are making good progress. They should be ready in a week. Hopefully, the rest of the parts will be here soon and I can start assembly. While I'm in there, I'm going to install a new flywheel, clutch, and oil cooler.

Thanks, I appreciate that. I'll keep that in the back of my mind. So far, things seem to be progressing well, but if that changes, I might take you up on that 1.7.

What are you doing for a camshaft? I hope you are not reusing the one that was in there. Get a new one and some lifters too.

+Quote Post
Betty
post Aug 16 2019, 10:06 PM
Post #18

Driver

Now THIS is why I (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wub.gif) 914 people so much!
+Quote Post
Betty
post Aug 16 2019, 10:20 PM
Post #19

Driver

So... hotel on Sunday night coming home from Okteenerfest; I was thinking about this possibly:

Quality Inn ā€“ 1009 East Service Rd., West Memphis, AR, 72301, (870) 702-9000. About $63 per night. No trailer parking.

Comfort Suites (right next to the Quality Inn) ā€“ 850 Stephen Boulevard, West Memphis, AR 72301, (866) 238-4218. About $85 per night. Has trailer parking.

The two hotels are literally next to each other. Clay and I would stay at the Comfort Suites because of Clay's truck and trailer. This is on the west side of Memphis which means we don't have to deal with Memphis rush hour when we leave Monday morning. It also makes Sunday about 8 hours of driving and Monday about 7 hours of driving.

Anybody else have any better ideas for the Sunday night hotel?
+Quote Post
wvspin2
post Aug 20 2019, 06:05 PM
Post #20

Considering Comfort Suites in West Memphis, 850 Stephen Blvd. I called the number you gave and had someone on the phone from a web site that seemed to be running a scam. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif) Was I phished? I was told that they had a room at the 89 dollar rate but after taxes and fees the room would cost 142.99? What? Than I asked if they had a room at a lower rate they told me no and now it was going to cost me $157 with tax and fees? Well what happened to the room we already talked about and she told me someone else must have booked it? Than as we were setting up the confirmation we got to my credit card and was told they would be charging my card today to reserve the room? What tf? Than I asked who I was was talking too and what company they worked for and they didn't answer me and hung up (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mad.gif)
Since I was staying at a Comfort Suites in Liberal KS yesterday before I left this morning, I asked them for the phone number of the hotel in West Memphis on Stephen Blvd. They gave me the direct number 870-733-9900 if you don't want to listen to the menu press 1. With my Choice privilege card and discounts my total with taxes $108. I was talking with Jimmy on the desk of Comfort Suites and my card was not charged today but only used to hold the room. If I need to cancel they want 2 days notice. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/bye1.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sunglasses.gif)
+Quote Post

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 02:41 AM