Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Going for 200 Laps on the Nurburgring, Shipping my 914-6 to Europe for my 4th European Tour.
DonTraver
post Jan 13 2020, 04:46 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,461

Some of you might remember when I shipped my RS America to Europe 3 times (had to ship back to CA for smog) While there I ran 190 Laps on the Ring with 1 Off and 1 360 spin. Best was 12 laps in 1 stint. Had 1 off track altercation with a bully, he lost.

I miss the Ring and the Autobahn. So I've decided to ship my 914-6 and get those last 10 laps in, woo hoo. Maybe a couple more, They do sell 25 lap cards. Used to be 499 euros.

Last time I met up with 1 of the world members at the Ring that was stationed there with his 914. Are there any members that might want to meet up at the Ring?

Things are starting to fall into place for this to happen again. Price of shipping has gone down to around $2200 to Felixstowe, UK. Set up Insurance this morning. Hotel reservations at the Elizabeth Orwell, it's like stepping back in to the 1800's.

The 6 is ready, fresh engine, side shift tranny, clutch, axles, cables, brakes, etc. Just a few minor gripes to fix before shipping.

This is from last time: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xuzPcRyTkZM...ndex=2&t=2s

Maybe contact Discover Germany, would be cool to have the 6 on the Ring like the RSA.

and

https://www.flickr.com/photos/2010-2011_european_tour/sets

Plan is ship 6 in April, fly over in May, pick up and I'm gone.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
914Sixer
post Jan 13 2020, 07:34 PM
Post #2

914 Guru

Member No.: 3,457
Region Association: Southwest Region

I would be all in. Watched the German GP in 70 and 71. GP cars had daylight under the tires going to turn one. The Eifle mountains are a blast getting to the Ring.
+Quote Post
KELTY360
post Jan 13 2020, 08:16 PM
Post #3

914 Neferati

Member No.: 5,344
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

I remember the last time. Great trip! I’ll be watching this. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)
+Quote Post
jim_hoyland
post Jan 13 2020, 08:20 PM
Post #4

Get that VIN ?

Member No.: 643
Region Association: Southern California

Have another great trip Don, will be following your posts.
+Quote Post
snakemain
post Jan 14 2020, 01:32 AM
Post #5

Ronin Member

Member No.: 11,232
Region Association: None

I remember following your last adventure. I'd love to meet up. I live in Bitburg, which is about an hour away from the Ring. My 914 is back in the states, but it would be great to get together.
+Quote Post
dax1969
post Jan 14 2020, 04:32 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 17,103

Great but why would you ship to Felixstowe UK ?

Shipped a car fm Cali last year for 1.000 usd (+ 1.5% insurance on seafreight).

Why don't you ship the car to Antwerp ? I live here, I work in port and could assist you by receiving the car, store it for a while... You can then fly in to Belgium, I'll pick you up fm the airport and you can drive yr beauty 280 km to the Nurnburgring.
When done you can do the same the other way (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Feel free to contact me

krgds
Dax

Checked yr picture and it looks like you've been in Antwerp in 2013. OMG you mentioned Antwerp NL (the netherlands)...instead of BE.... I just fell of my chair...NEVER mix up Belgium with the Netherlands (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Attached Image
+Quote Post
DonTraver
post Jan 14 2020, 01:20 PM
Post #7

Snakemain, would love to meet up, Bitburg would be a nice day trip.

DAX1969, I like Felixstowe, it's the perfect place to start a trip. All within walking distance, Halfords if I need parts, Cell phone store that sells phones that work all over Europe, Laundromat, Auto shop that lends me floor jacks, impact wrenches to prep car prior to shipping home. No dirt/grass allowed. Besides all hat, it's a pretty cool Town.
There's a couple of castles in England I still want to see.

Sorry about the Antwerp thing, I'll correct later. Sounds like that's like, Not wearing my B-17 Memphis Bell Shirt in Germany, mention Spain and Mexico in the same sentence in Spain.

Question, think the EU was going to pass a law getting rid of roaming charges, did they ever do that?

I turned 70 last year, also finished the rebuild of me. It's amazing how much stuff they can replace. Driving the Ring at 70, I think that's pretty cool.

Here's a pic of the engine. She's running sweet.

Later

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
campbellcj
post Jan 15 2020, 07:41 AM
Post #8

I can't Re Member

Member No.: 21

Sounds like a really awesome adventure! I just spent the holidays in Europe including driving the autobahn for the first time, and I really look forward to going back. In particular the Porsche museum and factory were closed while we were near Stuttgart...

With regard to roaming charges there is still the border tax/permit thing if that's what you mean - we had to pay 40euro(cf) or so to cross into Switzerland. However our IDs were never checked at all crossing between 4 countries.
+Quote Post
tvdinnerbythepool
post Jan 15 2020, 07:58 AM
Post #9

Member No.: 22,336
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

This is SO COOL!!!!! Can't wait to follow this adventure!
+Quote Post
jim_hoyland
post Jan 15 2020, 08:36 AM
Post #10

Get that VIN ?

Member No.: 643

Don,
If the opportunity arises, make a narrated video of a lap for us.
+Quote Post
dr914@autoatlanta.com
post Jan 15 2020, 09:25 AM
Post #11

914 Guru

Member No.: 7,418

what an absolutely exciting adventure, congrats that you have the time and means to do it. I ran the ring a couple of years ago, every car guy needs to put in on his bucket list

QUOTE(DonTraver @ Jan 13 2020, 03:46 PM) *

Some of you might remember when I shipped my RS America to Europe 3 times (had to ship back to CA for smog) While there I ran 190 Laps on the Ring with 1 Off and 1 360 spin. Best was 12 laps in 1 stint. Had 1 off track altercation with a bully, he lost.

I miss the Ring and the Autobahn. So I've decided to ship my 914-6 and get those last 10 laps in, woo hoo. Maybe a couple more, They do sell 25 lap cards. Used to be 499 euros.

Last time I met up with 1 of the world members at the Ring that was stationed there with his 914. Are there any members that might want to meet up at the Ring?

Things are starting to fall into place for this to happen again. Price of shipping has gone down to around $2200 to Felixstowe, UK. Set up Insurance this morning. Hotel reservations at the Elizabeth Orwell, it's like stepping back in to the 1800's.

The 6 is ready, fresh engine, side shift tranny, clutch, axles, cables, brakes, etc. Just a few minor gripes to fix before shipping.

This is from last time: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xuzPcRyTkZM...ndex=2&t=2s

Maybe contact Discover Germany, would be cool to have the 6 on the Ring like the RSA.

and

https://www.flickr.com/photos/2010-2011_european_tour/sets

Plan is ship 6 in April, fly over in May, pick up and I'm gone.

+Quote Post
dax1969
post Jan 15 2020, 10:05 AM
Post #12

Question, think the EU was going to pass a law getting rid of roaming charges, did they ever do that?

Yep they did, one tariff now for all countries EXCEPT Switzerland...they charge you gold if you leave your data on. So if you pass Switzerland, do not forget to switch off your dataroaming... ask me how I know... I have an 18 yr old daughter and I was not amused when I got her bill.

Anyway, enjoy yr trip and you know that you are welcome in Antwerp at any time.

bye
Dax
+Quote Post
dax1969
post Jan 15 2020, 10:08 AM
Post #13

With regard to roaming charges there is still the border tax/permit thing if that's what you mean - we had to pay 40euro(cf) or so to cross into Switzerland. However our IDs were never checked at all crossing between 4 countries.

He is talking about dataroaming on the cellphone...you are talking about the "vignet"... sort of roadtax to enter the country and use their "autobahn". No need if you take the backroads. In France, Spain and Italy you pay your highway tax at tollbooths

bye
+Quote Post
campbellcj
post Jan 15 2020, 06:38 PM
Post #14

I can't Re Member

Member No.: 21

QUOTE(dax1969 @ Jan 15 2020, 08:08 AM) *

He is talking about dataroaming on the cellphone...you are talking about the "vignet"... sort of roadtax to enter the country and use their "autobahn". No need if you take the backroads. In France, Spain and Italy you pay your highway tax at tollbooths

bye

Yes indeed - we also hit quite a few autobahn tolls but avoided most border crossing stops via back roads. Our cell service is AT&T (US) with international service added to avoid roaming fees. Our trip was so short we didn't look into EU based cell service but having unlimited data was awesome in terms of using Waze and Google Translate.
+Quote Post
DonTraver
post Mar 1 2020, 12:30 PM
Post #15

The 6 is in the shop with Jae Lee at Mirage. Jae's putting in a new Guard LSD. Every one I saw spin out always dropped a wheel. I did too, but I had a LSD put in RSA and I think that LSD prevented me from spinning out.

Jae's also doing, brake rotors & Pads, and anything else he thinks it needs.

The cabin blower motor just died. Critical for Europe. I have a spare that worked when I put it on the bench.

Got a good deal from Amazon, new Redtop for under a hundred with points.

Shipping still scheduled for April.

I'm keeping a eye on this Corovirus thing, it bothers me.

So still moving forward, but with caution.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 03:07 PM