Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 3.2 to 3.4 Pros-Cons, Opinions/ Options
Coondog
post Mar 25 2020, 09:40 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 19,195
Region Association: Southern California

Been thinking about this for a while as I am halfway there already. Don’t get me wrong 212 RWHP is nice but there always more on the table to be had and Steve’s 3.2 kicks my ass off the line every time..... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif) It’s his 915 tranny.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)

-964 cams already installed
-Big bore Throttle Body needed
-98mm piston and cylinders needed
-1 5/8" exhaust already installed
-Custom chip would have to get remapped. Not changing Motronic system and not going duel plug.

Opinions and options please.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Steve
post Mar 25 2020, 10:05 PM
Post #2

914 Guru

Member No.: 822

Mine is actually a Euro 3.2 that’s supposed to be 231 hp with stock exhaust . Add Bens 1 5/8 heat exchangers, his muffler and steve Wong chip and a tall first and it definitely wakes the car up. My motor also has well over 200k miles on it and needs to be overhauled. I am also on the fence regarding a 3.4 slip in or machine the case and go to 3.5. Once you twin plug, you mine as well upgrade to a 3.6. Keith’s advice is run it til it dies.
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Mar 26 2020, 05:50 AM
Post #3

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

I would do it to an engine that needs an overhaul but not to a good running engine. Way too much money for little return.
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Mar 26 2020, 07:55 AM
Post #4

that's what I do!

Member No.: 26
Region Association: Canada

QUOTE(mepstein @ Mar 26 2020, 07:50 AM) *

I would do it to an engine that needs an overhaul but not to a good running engine. Way too much money for little return.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

Only option to me would be buy another core, build the engine you want and sell the existing running engine.
Buy in would suck but likely cheaper in the long run.

I build 996 engines, LN 3.4 to 3.8 JE piston upgrade, so that's a 400cc increase, a lot of guys expect a big increase in HP and get disappointed when I tell them about 40 HP if they're lucky.
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Mar 26 2020, 09:34 AM
Post #5

914-6 GT in waiting

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Mar 26 2020, 09:55 AM) *

Only option to me would be buy another core, build the engine you want and sell the existing running engine.

I build 996 engines, LN 3.4 to 3.8 JE piston upgrade, so that's a 400cc increase, a lot of guys expect a big increase in HP and get disappointed when I tell them about 40 HP if they're lucky.

Yes. With what you have, 10-20hp would be the increase for all that work and money. What you said is telling. "It’s his 915 tranny...." I have one that is getting rebuilt. It's an early mag case with mechanical speedo and a much shorter final drive. It won't be a highway cruiser but should be fun around town.
+Quote Post
Steve
post Mar 26 2020, 10:02 AM
Post #6

914 Guru

Member No.: 822

QUOTE(mepstein @ Mar 26 2020, 08:34 AM) *

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Mar 26 2020, 09:55 AM) *

Yes. With what you have, 10-20hp would be the increase for all that work and money. What you said is telling. "It’s his 915 tranny...." I have one that is getting rebuilt. It's an early mag case with mechanical speedo and a much shorter final drive. It won't be a highway cruiser but should be fun around town.

My 915 gearbox is a stock 1986 with 8:31 ring and pinion. Taller gears versus an early 7:31 915
Much nicer not having to shift as much compared to a 914 gear box.
+Quote Post
IronHillRestorations
post Mar 26 2020, 01:37 PM
Post #7

I. I. R. C.

Member No.: 439
Region Association: None

Put low profile 15"s on the back (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) That will give you more jump off the line
+Quote Post
live free & drive
post Mar 26 2020, 01:53 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 20,159

Try Sal Carcellers fuel injection/chip mod with MAF. There is a lot to read up on Sal on Pelican beyond the link below too.

He can adjust the chip maps to your 964 cams, Ben's headers, and octane you want to run (also method of oil cooling).

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911...stem-3-2-a.html

you might be looking at 250-260hp

I think the whole thing with custom tune cost ~$2K, probably cheaper than cracking open the case.

I also don't think he will help you if your engine is not running right until you get the basics sorted.
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Mar 26 2020, 02:02 PM
Post #9

914-6 GT in waiting

QUOTE(live free & drive @ Mar 26 2020, 03:53 PM) *

Try Sal Carcellers fuel injection/chip mod with MAF. There is a lot to read up on Sal on Pelican beyond the link below too.

He can adjust the chip maps to your 964 cams, Ben's headers, and octane you want to run (also method of oil cooling).

I think the whole thing with custom tune cost ~$2K, probably cheaper than cracking open the case.

I also don't think he will help you if your engine is not running right until you get the basics sorted.

Sal has a great system and If I stay motronic, I will buy it. It's ~$2K for his custom MAF, injectors, computer and chip but you still need dyno time to tune it. He sends you updated tune's as you work the engine on the dyno.

The last 5% always costs the most and there's a bit of irony because as you make more power from the engine, the 914 trans becomes more of an issue.
+Quote Post
porschetub
post Mar 27 2020, 01:49 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 18,995

QUOTE(mepstein @ Mar 27 2020, 09:02 AM) *

QUOTE(live free & drive @ Mar 26 2020, 03:53 PM) *

Sal has a great system and If I stay motronic, I will buy it. It's ~$2K for his custom MAF, injectors, computer and chip but you still need dyno time to tune it. He sends you updated tune's as you work the engine on the dyno.

I had a MAF conversion on my 2.7 ROW 944 ,you could feel the extra 13hp increase just but the best thing was throttle response without the AFM restriction,the kit came with a cam advance key,custom MAF,DME chip adaptor and custom chip.
With the old DME ECU there is the issue with the boards failing Sal ups the game with rebuilt ecu and improved injectors.
I like the Motronic injection ,simple and easy to sort only issue I ever had was flywheel sensors which can give trouble,I think the OP should consider this system for his engine ,certainly cheaper the increasing displacement as mentioned.
+Quote Post
Tdskip
post Mar 27 2020, 06:30 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 21,666

QUOTE(mepstein @ Mar 26 2020, 03:02 PM) *

The last 5% always costs the most and there's a bit of irony because as you make more power from the engine, the 914 trans becomes more of an issue.

^^^^^^
This

Unless you have a surplus of time and money not sure it is worth it. That said - if you really want to do it then do it and have fun.
+Quote Post
naro914
post Mar 28 2020, 06:40 PM
Post #12

Losing my mind...

Member No.: 6,073
Region Association: South East States

Or...just do a really good job building a 3.2 and get 325 rwhp out of it. Like in Papa Smurf.. ;-)
Ok, so it’s a twin plug, high compression 110 octane race engine...but still....
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Mar 28 2020, 07:02 PM
Post #13

914-6 GT in waiting

QUOTE(naro914 @ Mar 28 2020, 08:40 PM) *

Or...just do a really good job building a 3.2 and get 325 rwhp out of it. Like in Papa Smurf.. ;-)
Ok, so it’s a twin plug, high compression 110 octane race engine...but still....

Greg already has a good running 3.2. It's whether going to 3.4 is worth it.

Peter has been coming down to the shop and helping with engine and trans building. That's where the 300rwhp 3.4 street engine came from. He gave me the formula for the engine but not the money to buy the parts.
@naro914

+Quote Post
naro914
post Mar 28 2020, 07:16 PM
Post #14

Losing my mind...

Member No.: 6,073
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(mepstein @ Mar 28 2020, 09:02 PM) *

....He gave me the formula for the engine but not the money to buy the parts.
@naro914

Lol...yeah, there is that! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 03:03 AM