Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> headlights up or down, change wiring
jfort
post Jul 22 2003, 08:08 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 652
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Jim Chambers kindly forwarded the followiing instructions for changing the headlight switch wiring so that the headlights stay down until the second stop:

Question: How do you rewire headlight circuit so lights stay down on first "click" (parking lights) of switch?
Disconnect battery ground strap.
Remove two screws, allowing fuse panel to drop, and unscrew bezel allowing headlight switch to be pulled out from rear so terminals are visible (leave all connected).
Terminal "K" on the switch has 3 gray wires attached. One is a jumper to terminal 58b. Remove the smaller (diameter) of the other two gray wires from "K" and attach it to terminal 56 of switch (has re/white lead on it).
Reconnect battery, give switch a try, and if all OK, disconnect battery again, replace switch and fuse panel, reconnect battery final time.

I tried it. One of the "other two gray wires" has two wires coming into the same terminal so I am not sure which is the smaller one. I can try it both ways. Then, does the smaller of the other two gray wires on K go to terminal 56 IN ADDITION to the red/white wire already on 56, or IN PLACE OF IT?? If the former, I'll need to find one of those connectors that allows TWO female connectors onto the same male terminal. If the latter, what happens to the red/white wire?

Can anybody help??
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Demick
post Jul 22 2003, 08:51 AM
Post #2

Ernie made me do it!

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 257

You need to leave the red/white wire on the #56 terminal, so presumably you will need a piggyback terminal in order to make this work.

I can't help you with which grey wire to move, because the wiring diagrams for 1971 cars only show two grey wires attached to the 'K' terminal (one of those is the previously mentioned jumper to the #58b). So this third wire is not on the wiring diagrams. However, the wiring diagram already shows a grey wire in addition to the red/white wire on the #56 terminal - and guess what - that grey wire already on the #56 is the headlight motor wire. So apparantly, the factory wiring diagrams already show the grey wire on #56 rather than being wired to the 'K' terminal. Interesting.

Makes it awfully hard to diagnose problems or figure out solutions when the wiring diagrams do not match the car!

Anyway, the grey wire on the 'K' terminal which should not be moved is the wire for the rear trunk light and the license plate lights. So if you switch the wrong wire, then your license plate lights should come on at the first click of the headlight switch instead of the headlights poppling up.

Hope this helps.
Demick
+Quote Post
garyh
post Jul 22 2003, 11:22 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 114

QUOTE(jfort @ Jul 22 2003, 06:08 AM)
Question: How do you rewire headlight circuit so lights stay down on first "click" (parking lights) of switch?

I don't understand the question.

From the factory, if you PULL to the 1st click, the parking lights are on, headlights are off, and DOWN.

If you PUSH to the 1st click, parking lights are on, headlights are off, and UP. (You have to go to the 2nd click to push to the 1st click.)

Perhaps the answer is to remove some DPO disease?
+Quote Post
Brad Roberts
post Jul 22 2003, 11:25 AM
Post #4

914 Freak!

Member No.: 8
Region Association: None

Gary..

ALL factory sixes raise there headlights on the first click. He is trying to get around that. Only the 914/4's stay down on the first click.

B
+Quote Post
garyh
post Jul 22 2003, 11:42 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 114

Nevermind.....
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Jul 22 2003, 09:25 AM)
Gary..
ALL factory sixes raise their headlights on the first click.
B
+Quote Post
Demick
post Jul 22 2003, 11:56 AM
Post #6

Ernie made me do it!

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 257

As far as I know, all '70 and '71 cars (not just the sixes) pop their headlights up on the first 'click'

Demick
+Quote Post
jfort
post Jul 23 2003, 08:11 AM
Post #7

appreciate the responses, you guys. i will try demick's approach when i can find the right connector. i'll keep you posted in case anyone else has this issue
+Quote Post
jfort
post Apr 16 2004, 07:41 AM
Post #8

headlight switch has been rewired so that they stay down until the second switch stop. for the record, here is the info I gathered

Attached File(s)
Attached File  headlight_switch_post.doc ( 24k ) Number of downloads: 115
+Quote Post
Gint
post Apr 16 2004, 07:45 AM
Post #9

Mike Ginter

Group: Admin
Member No.: 20
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Thanks Jeff!
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 12th May 2024 - 06:37 AM