Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 914 Rubber Shipping Costs, $25 to ship a $40 order!
914sgofast2
post Mar 18 2023, 04:08 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 15,855
Region Association: None

I just went on the 914Rubber website to take advantage of their March sale for a few items. The rubber seals I wanted came to a grand total of $40. When I went to check out, they wanted to charge me $25 for shipping, with no cheaper options. Want goes here? I have been very happy with 914Rubber in the past, but this $25 shipping cost for a few small rubber seals was outrageous, at least in my opinion.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Mar 18 2023, 04:19 PM
Post #2

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

So why not just call them and ask if they can find you a better price on shipping.
Sometimes the automated shipping function doesn’t get it right.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
vintagethunder
post Mar 18 2023, 04:32 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 26,225
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Lots of people do that. No matter how carefully you plan, occasionally you get caught up in it.

Several of our vendors sell some stuff on ebay with free shipping. Presumably the prices are a bit higher, but I have often found it more appealing that paying a full shipping charge or waiting to accumulate a significant order. Look to see if they (listed under 914rubberparts) have what you need there.
+Quote Post
Van B
post Mar 18 2023, 05:05 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 26,011

Speculation not required. I just had this issue with their calculator. Something is up with ship station. I got quoted $151.99 USPS or &48.99 FedEx for a threshold set including rivets and screws.

I called them up and did the order over the phone.
+Quote Post
tom.esh
post Mar 18 2023, 05:44 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 17,083
Region Association: North East States

McMaster Carr charged $8.03 shipping for a $7.72 spring about 1"x1". Everything is getting expensive.
+Quote Post
Type 47
post Mar 18 2023, 06:32 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 11,790

so, I've just spent 24 weeks putting my 914 together. I've spent a lot at Rubber, AA, and other vendors.

While, I'm very grateful that there are vendors supporting the 914. I was disappointed with Rubber's shipping cost. Having spent 40 years with a small parcel company, it seems that they are using S&H as a profit center.

I too have had to take a double take for shipping that was like $100 for a few items. Luckly I caught it before I checked out.

Another issue I had, since I was ordering stuff all the time, was that when I caught myself needing something after I thought I had everything ordered I would call...more often email (they don't, like a lot of companies like to answer the phone) to add an item and asked them to add it to the package.

Even though I caught it before they shipped it, and they put it in one package, they still charged me shipping for two packages.

I asked them why I got charged two shipping charges for one package? They said they don't make refunds under a certain amount.

It's all good, again I appreciate being able to get stuff for the rebuild. I've been a customer for over 10 years, but hey, since someone brought it up I had to give my $0.02 worth.

Shipping from Rubber has cost nearly $400 in 2022.

BTW: Mikey, your challenge to get a picture of a toasted alternative wiring harness for a free one to the winner is over 3 months old. Don't be cheap with the people who support you!
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Mar 18 2023, 06:51 PM
Post #7

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Member No.: 43
Region Association: Northstar Region

It's not their hobby it's yours. You all think it's easy to manufacture speciality parts in small quantities need to wise up. If you can't afford your hobby parts save up a little longer and don't pick on Mark for sticking his neck out year after year for your fun.
+Quote Post
Type 47
post Mar 18 2023, 07:12 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 11,790

QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Mar 18 2023, 04:51 PM) *

It's not their hobby it's yours. You all think it's easy to manufacture speciality parts in small quantities need to wise up. If you can't afford your hobby parts save up a little longer and don't pick on Mark for sticking his neck out year after year for your fun.

Hey, not picking on Mark (except maybe for the wiring harness "contest:) As I said, I/we do appreciate having suppliers. Again, I've been a Rubber customer for over 10 years.

I have noticed shipping cost irregularities to. I didn't want to mention them but someone else did and I chimed in to agree.

Maybe it's a system thing or something. I would think Rubber would want to be aware if there's a problem.

it's not their hobby it's their business.

So I've spent about $4,000 at Rubber over the last 24 weeks or so. 10% was shipping. I've had similar question about shipping too. It doesn't mean I can't afford to spend it, or another $4k at AA...etc., etc., the list is long.

Again, I'm not picking on Mark. He should want to know about this.

and BTW, I paid cash for my 2 Corvette Z06's, Silverado LTZ, Caddy XT5, and don't have to save up at all for my 914.
+Quote Post
914sgofast2
post Mar 18 2023, 07:21 PM
Post #9

QUOTE(mepstein @ Mar 18 2023, 03:19 PM) *

So why not just call them and ask if they can find you a better price on shipping.

Guess I will have to try that tomorrow.
+Quote Post
GregAmy
post Mar 18 2023, 07:34 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 15,565
Region Association: North East States

Yup. Just a compuiter error. I sent 'em an email with the order info and they fixed it right away.

No need to go Internet newkleear as the first response.
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Mar 18 2023, 09:01 PM
Post #11

Apex killer!

Member No.: 3,380
Region Association: Northern California

Some vendors use one shipper no matter what it costs. 914 Rubber uses the most economic.
+Quote Post
76-914
post Mar 18 2023, 09:39 PM
Post #12

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(914sgofast2 @ Mar 18 2023, 06:21 PM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Mar 18 2023, 03:19 PM) *

Guess I will have to try that tomorrow.

Yep, that's all you need to do. It's their system being wacko. Just call and speak to a human to get the correct amount. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
Mikey914
post Mar 18 2023, 11:51 PM
Post #13

The rubber man

Member No.: 3,348

Hey we don't use shipping as a profit center, if ever your shipping looks off please do call the office. There occasionally are tines where large items don't combine and it thinks that it's shipping in multiple boxes. My shipping department does look for these and will automatically refund overcharges.
Unfortunately, it can be the way something us set up.

I have noticed that USPS seems to have went up significantly. And if it goes over 1lb it will go priority .

Sometimes one item will bump up shipping costs. You can have several small items and add inner door fuzziness and we now have a larger, but still light package, bumping into priority mail.

We do try our best to offer the best value for shipping.

Sincerely
Mark
+Quote Post
Unobtanium-inc
post Mar 19 2023, 01:20 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

Member No.: 7,276

The 2023 rates with shippers went way way up. UPS especially.
I shipped a 3 pound box from NY to PA on Thursday, it was $28. It was half that a few years ago.
Ironically, shipping through ebay is still a great deal. You save at least 30% on our discounted UPS rates, so it's probably close to 40% cheaper then regular UPS rates. I guess Ebay really cut good rates with the shippers.
+Quote Post
914sgofast2
post Mar 19 2023, 03:16 PM
Post #15

Transaction just completed with a reasonable shipping cost via Fed Ex. Thanks 914Rubber!!!
+Quote Post
Mikey914
post Mar 19 2023, 07:10 PM
Post #16

The rubber man

Member No.: 3,348

Thanks,
It's important to let us know if something seems off. We can then go back and identify what may be set up incorrectly , or what we need to do to get it right.
Thanks again,
Mark
+Quote Post
sixaddict
post Mar 19 2023, 07:36 PM
Post #17

Member No.: 9,961
Region Association: South East States

Anyone who is shipping a lot knows things have gotten stupid. It is hard to reconcile and then you have most buyers ask for an estimate which means packing and taking to a site. Then they blow it off without consideration for what you had to do.
Most people will work with you once you explain…..but others give a rat.
Shipping is nuts but always had positive experience with Rubber!
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Mar 19 2023, 08:17 PM
Post #18

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Shipping has increased in price but most of the time, it’s still better than driving x-country for a part. It’s pretty easy to use an online shipping calculator and some companies give a pretty strong discount when you sign up for a free account. I rely on FedEx but I have peers who prefer UPS.
I just paid $2,200 to ship an engine from Germany. I felt that in my wallet. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 11:20 AM