Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

11 Pages V « < 3 4 5 6 7 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The 3.2 Conversion Thread, got to git 'er done
kdfoust
post Oct 8 2005, 10:46 PM
Post #81

Group: Members
Member No.: 71
Region Association: Southern California

We fitted the tranny, cutting the appropriate sensor notches and bolted everything up. A few things on the top of the engine were removed just to add some clearance for install. Here a few of the crew, Mike, Michelle, Robert, and I admire our work after rolling "the package" out into the driveway.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
kdfoust
post Oct 8 2005, 10:51 PM
Post #82

Mike brought his enourmous truck jackstands over. We set the rear bumper at about 32" off the ground with almost no effort because we had dual floor jacks to raise and lower both sides of the car once. Here we've got the engine mounted in the front and we're considering removing part of the fuel rail in order to swivel the engine up into place in the rear. I'm sure from the front view we would have resembled the crew on a Dutch Masters cigar box.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
kdfoust
post Oct 8 2005, 11:01 PM
Post #83

Yeah baby! That's the 3.2 fully mounted in the 14. I gotta tell ya we had a good time today. Two guys from the board were here (Steve, and Bottomend) plus three buddies from work and a neighbor. It made the job easy and we all had fun. I'm sure 7-1/2 hours of shoving-engine-in-car music from Led Zeppelin on the iPod didn't hurt either.

Steve let me take his 3.2 914 for a little spin after we'd tucked mine back into the garage. All I can say is WOW! That is one fun car. Just rapping it to 5500 it pulled hard and zipped up to 90 like nothing. I can't wait to get mine running.

I am pretty stoked. I picked this engine up last Tuesday from the freight terminal. Four days later it's mounted in my car. We're keeping on the git 'er done track!

A round for house!
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/beer3.gif)

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
736conver
post Oct 8 2005, 11:27 PM
Post #84

Advanced Member

Member No.: 736
Region Association: None

Looks good whats next..............

I just got my oil tank back tonight and I am hoping on Sunday morning to fire up my 3.2 conversion. Check my blog for updatess/pictures
+Quote Post
kdfoust
post Oct 9 2005, 12:41 PM
Post #85

Well fire it up Brian. Put a video camera or a tape recorder on it so we can live too! I see from your blog that you've set up the OE-6 type throttle cable. I took a look at Steve's setup yesterday and like that a lot. It gives the cables nice straight runs and looks pretty much bullet proof. Here's a composite digipic from Steve's car showing the whole run. This is the steup I'll be using.

Later,
Kevin

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
kdfoust
post Oct 9 2005, 01:42 PM
Post #86

Today, post-hump day, the engine is in the car. This morning at the coffee shop where I hang out on Sunday mornings I was thinking about the little drive in Steve's car yesterday. It was a generous offer and I was glad to take him up. I had forgotten how raw the 14 was. It's been two years since I've driven mine. The steering is like a very sharp knife and the car goes where you point it. The power with the 914 3.2 reminds me of a type 964 RSA that's been "prepared." Except that Steve's car is a comfortable (for a 14) street car with a stock (euro) engine. It's that raw connection with the car that makes all the difference.
Rapping the engine to 5500, short shifting it, and doing it again lets the 3.2 torque do the work. This car is pushed hard (can't forget that engine BEHIND you) up through supra-legal speeds in no time. The rear end just hunkers down and digs. It's that ripping up asphalt feeling except it happens when you step on the gas not just the brakes. The car is pretty quiet until it starts to rap out. He's running a muffler that's look alot like what we called a turbo muffler back in my Detriot-iron days. It's pretty quiet at low flow rates but really lets it out when the flow gets demanding. They sound great on a built 289s, 440s and on Porsche 3.2 alike but don't attract undue attention at legal speeds.

For my project I'm tackling the fuel system next. I've got to source a fuel pump and filter. I'd already replaced the center tunnel lines with stainless steel. The fuel pump mount is already in the front trunk. I need to source the appropriate fittings for the stainless lines to the 3.2. I also need to get the bloody HEs off without boogering the exhaust studs.

Before all that, today I've got TIV parts to ship to people from the aborted engine project that started all this.

Later,
Kevin
+Quote Post
JoeSharp
post Oct 9 2005, 02:50 PM
Post #87

In Irvine, Ca. May 15-18

Member No.: 898
Region Association: South East States

We need a DWD smilie.
:PERMAGRIN: Joe
+Quote Post
Steve
post Oct 9 2005, 03:05 PM
Post #88

914 Guru

Member No.: 822

I'm glad you enjoyed the drive.
Its a fun car I know you will be very happy with yours.
I can not believe how good of condition your car is in.
It will be a killer ride with the 3.2.

Try Partsheaven, Easy or Silver Star recycling for the rest of the used parts.

The part number for the male connector that will fit the 3.2 female electrical fuel injection connector is:
I paid $23.95 from Zims in Texas
817-267-4451 or 800-356-2964
Or www.allzim.com
I cut the plastic sheath back on the harness that goes to the relay board all the way back to the center of the car.
I separated the wires that went to the relay board and connected them to this new male plug.
I wrapped the remaining wires that connect to the tail lights with electrical tape.
I tossed the relay board and removed the mounts.
Here's a picture of the kit for the fitting on the bottom of the fuel filter.
I bought the kit from Pegasus.
Part number 1072 for $29.99.
1-800-688-6946 or www.pegasusautoracing.com
It comes with three fittings as show on the left in the picture.
I can't remember which one in the picture was the correct one.
As you can see in the picture the hole is really small so I drilled it out .
This adapter converts the metric fitting into a 1/8"-27 NPT.
I bought the 1/8" hose fitting from Pep boys and just slipped the high pressure fuel line over it.
There's probably a cheaper adapter out there.
I'm curious what GPR or PMS does.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Steve
post Oct 9 2005, 03:07 PM
Post #89

914 Guru

Here's the picture.
I don't know what happened the first time.
Its the three fittings on the left.
I can't remember which one of the three was the correct one.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
redshift
post Oct 9 2005, 03:33 PM
Post #90

Bless the Hell out of you!

Member No.: 869

:envy:

Damn nice! (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smilie_pokal.gif)

M
+Quote Post
736conver
post Oct 9 2005, 07:23 PM
Post #91

Advanced Member

Well I missed getting mine started. jim912928 came over today to check things out. He's about to go down the same road.
I was about to crank mine up all I needed to do was add gas. Added some gas and I hear a dribble sound, crap!!!
I think I missed a hose clamp under the tank, or worse yet I missed a hose connection. Really didnt feel like going under the car with gas dripping out and about 1/2 gallon on the floor. It will half to wait.
For my project I'm tackling the fuel system next. I've got to source a fuel pump and filter.

Kevin you may want to check over on the bird board for your fuel pump, unless you have something local. I picked mine up for $35 came with the check valve too. The filter I bought new. No sense using a used one. A brand new one is about $20. Also the fuel pump works for a variety of models. So you might find one for cheap through the other models not just the 911.
Here's a list
911 Carrera (1984-89), 924S, 944 (1982-88), 944 Turbo.

Steve, here's a better picture of what you were describing.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Steve
post Oct 9 2005, 08:30 PM
Post #92

914 Guru

Thanks Brian for the better picture.
The kit I bought was part number 1072.
Brian how did you connect the fuel line to the inlet side of the fuel filter?
I'm curious if there is a cheaper way than the $29.95 kit that I bought from Pegasus.
+Quote Post
John
post Oct 9 2005, 08:55 PM
Post #93

member? what's a member?

Member No.: 1,615

When I did my first 3.2 conversion, I had the hard lines from the 911 donor car in hand with the proper fittings for the fuel filter and the return line.

I took both of those tubes with fittings on them to the hydraulic hose shop and had them swage ss braided fuel hose onto the factory hard lines on one end and 37 degree JIC fittings on the other end. The remaining lines were done in a like manner, I took the fuel pump (with banjo fitting) up to the hose shop as well as the fuel tank return pipe, and had ss braided fuel hose swaged to each of the pipes.

This was 12-13 leak free years ago. It was expensive, but allows use of factory lines and filter and makes for a very clean installation.

On my current project, I also have the hard lines from the 911 donor car. I plan on running rebent factory 911 hard lines down to the center tunnel where they will connect to steel hard lines running through the center tunnel. I am planning on using rubber FI hose to connect to the bottom of the fuel tank and from the fuel pump to the hard line running through the center tunnel.
+Quote Post
736conver
post Oct 10 2005, 07:26 AM
Post #94

Advanced Member

Brian how did you connect the fuel line to the inlet side of the fuel filter?
I went right from the pump to the fuel filter. That was a stock piece. The the outlet side I ended up using a barbed fitting.
I dont understand why Porsche used all these crimp lines for something thats only 40PSI max.
Have you guys ever looked at the return line under the fuel rail. Its hose clamped on one side and then its crimped on the other side. I dont understand the reasoning behind this. Plus its a really sharp radius. I replaced this line and bypassed the fitting on the fuel rail all together. Now I have a bigger radius on the hose and dont have to worry about fittings on the return.
Here's a picture the yellow is my new line the red is the fitting I bypassed.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
736conver
post Oct 10 2005, 07:31 AM
Post #95

Advanced Member

Kevin,

If you havent already you should look at all your fuel lines really good. The ones on the engine are notorious for cracking and leaking. Both of my lines were starting to crack. Its going to be hard for you to check the lines now that its in the car.

Out of curiousity did anyone else here get rid of the trunk torsion bars. I just removed mine a few days ago and its alot easier to get your hands back there now and work on things.
+Quote Post
Steve
post Oct 10 2005, 07:51 AM
Post #96

914 Guru

My injections lines also hit the trunk torsion bars so I removed them and installed trunk shocks.
+Quote Post
Root_Werks
post Oct 10 2005, 08:32 AM
Post #97

Village Idiot

Member No.: 2,105
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/drooley.gif)
+Quote Post
kdfoust
post Oct 10 2005, 11:02 AM
Post #98

QUOTE (736conver @ Oct 10 2005, 05:31 AM)
Kevin,

If you havent already you should look at all your fuel lines really good. The ones on the engine are notorious for cracking and leaking. Both of my lines were starting to crack. Its going to be hard for you to check the lines now that its in the car.

Out of curiousity did anyone else here get rid of the trunk torsion bars. I just removed mine a few days ago and its alot easier to get your hands back there now and work on things.

My trunk lid t-bars are on probation right now. I'll be in there messing around with the fuel lines that connects the two fuel rails across the back of the engine this evening. We had to remove that line to swivel the engine into place (remember I'm using the PMS swivel mount). After looking at Steve's car I think It's like 80% that I'm going to have to remove the trunk t-bars.

I inspected all the fuel lines that are on the engine and they all look just fine - no cracking and don't feel brittle at all.

The routing of the lines around the fuel rail IS bogus. I know that sharp bend you're talking about. At first I thought that something had been damaged in shipping causing a kink in line.

I'd like to put the fuel filter in the front trunk right next to the fuel pump. I've got the late model FP mounting blister. I thought I might be able to piggy back the filter onto the pump and have everything attached to the blister.

Later,
Kevin
+Quote Post
736conver
post Oct 10 2005, 12:39 PM
Post #99

Advanced Member

I'd like to put the fuel filter in the front trunk right next to the fuel pump.

Thats exactly what I did. Pump and filter are right next to each other.
It's like 80% that I'm going to have to remove the trunk t-bars.
You will be much happier. I know its been talked about a thousand times how to remove those bars but the easiest way I found was using my crowbar and sliding the wheel right off the mount. The wheel will fly off so eye protection should be use. I put glasses on after the first wheel.
+Quote Post
mikester
post Oct 10 2005, 03:57 PM
Post #100

Member No.: 837

Okay, MAYBE I'm not too late.

Kevin; You must stop this madness.

The damage you're doing to your 914 is not reversible easily! MAN! Seriously.

I just...I just can't believe what you're doing...a 3.2 in the beautiful little razor of a car...

You have to make a choice. You have to choose what you're going to do; either you're going to continue on the path of doom you are on or....

.................you could give that 3.2 to me and put it in a tail dragger where it belongs.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/boldblue.gif)
+Quote Post

11 Pages V « < 3 4 5 6 7 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 12th May 2024 - 09:53 PM