Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Going helmet shopping
GaroldShaffer
post Aug 27 2003, 01:05 PM
Post #1

You bought another 914?

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 865
Region Association: None

I need to get a helmet for my first autocross on sept 20th. Is there one brand better than another. I wear glasses so I will need something that I can get my glasses on with.

Thanks

- Garold (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
User is online!Profile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Brad Roberts
post Aug 27 2003, 01:20 PM
Post #2

914 Freak!

Group: Members
Member No.: 8

Buy the one that fits you best. I run a full face'd helmet because I road race'd at one point.

I have seen a lot of pics with open face helmets (from AutoX's).. you may go that route.

B
User is offlineProfile CardPM
+Quote Post
echocanyons
post Aug 27 2003, 01:26 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 7
Region Association: Central California

I am looking to gat a helmet as well...
What Saftey ratings are most commonly necessary? I realize that it prolly varies from region to region but would like a good idea to start with.

I am most likely going to purchase through Pegasus racing but maybe there is a more preffered place?

http://www.pegasusautoracing.com/pdfs/008.pdf

http://www.pegasusautoracing.com/pdfs/009.pdf

http://www.pegasusautoracing.com/pdfs/010.pdf
+Quote Post
Aaron Cox
post Aug 27 2003, 01:26 PM
Post #4

Professional Lawn Dart

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 219
Region Association: Southern California

army helmet !!!! lol (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol2.gif)
+Quote Post
J P Stein
post Aug 27 2003, 01:28 PM
Post #5

Irrelevant old fart

Member No.: 45

I'm a 4 eyed geek, too.
Open face Bell. Racers Warehouse.
+Quote Post
ChrisReale
post Aug 27 2003, 01:28 PM
Post #6

Sleazy

Member No.: 176

A lot of people will frown on you if you take the approach of getting the cheapest helmet you can get away with. Fuck them. As long as it is up to date in its safety (Snell-2000 or 95) it will do for auto cross. I also like a full face because I like my face how it is, not split open. There is minimal chance that you will encounter such an impact when AX'ing, but I dont want to take that chance. I got a $100 Motorcycle helmet, full face, and removed the plastic visor. I wear sun glasses when I Ax, and it fits fine
+Quote Post
ArtechnikA
post Aug 27 2003, 01:31 PM
Post #7

rich herzog

Member No.: 513

QUOTE(itsa914 @ Aug 27 2003, 11:05 AM)
I need to get a helmet for my first autocross on sept 20th....

Step Zero: read your local rulebook so you know the requirements.
Step One: you can't be -too- safe but you -can- spend [lots] more than you need to. i like having the 'SA' (fire-resistant Nomex) rating but it's probably not necessary for an autocross. the big difference in the pro-level helmets isn't protection level - it's weight. the pros are pullingt 3-4 g's lateral for a couple hours at a time - that's a lot of strain, and saving a pouind can be a big think in wear-and-tear. you might not think saving that pound is worth the $250 difference between "plain ol' fiberglass" and Carbon/Kevlar ...

i like the full-face concept, because if i'm at an event that requires it, or if i can score a ride in an open car - i'm ready. i also have forced-air ventilation which i bought when i lived in a hotter area...

all the reputable manufacturers - Bell - Simpson - there are others but those are the ones i've personally bought and used - make at least one model with an enlarged eyeport for glasses.

once you know your sanctioning body's standards, buy based on fit - knowing that it'll probably be a little too snug just standing there, new, in the store. you must also know if your sanctioning body will require you to wear a Balaclava (head sock) - probably not for AX - where even open-face seems to be okay pretty much everywhere - but maybe for big-track events - especially if you have facial hair. i tend to like them because they wick the sweat away from my eyes, and getting a rivulet of sweat in your eyes at 100 mph is no fun... but it will make a difference in fit, so check it out...
+Quote Post
BenNC
post Aug 27 2003, 04:56 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 267

Take your time when trying on helmets and get something that is comfortable. You may think that you're only going to wear the helmet for a minute at a time while you're running the course, but there will be times (schools for example) where you keep the hat on for half an hour or more.

I wear glasses too. With a closed face helmet you just have to take them off while you put the helmet on and then slide the glasses on through the eyeport.
+Quote Post
BenNC
post Aug 27 2003, 05:02 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 267

Oh yeah, a lot of clubs will have "loaners" available. If you're not too worried about cooties, you may be able to go that route until you decide whether or not you're going to keep autocrossing.

Like any of us could ever stop. After my first race my hands were shaking so bad from the adrenaline that I couldn't get my helmet off. The friend who had talked me into coming out stuck his head in the window and said "oh man, you're screwed now".

Have fun
+Quote Post
drew365
post Aug 27 2003, 05:20 PM
Post #10

These are the good old days!

Member No.: 37

I would recommend not buying online unless you have already gone into a store to check fit. I wouldn't use hat size as a gauge for helmet size.
+Quote Post
EdwardBlume
post Aug 27 2003, 06:32 PM
Post #11

914 Wizard

Member No.: 81
Region Association: Central California

I got my wife an HJC helmet new at a motorcycle shop for about $200. Its a full motorcycle helmet, and has cool graphics. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/MDB2.gif)
+Quote Post
URY914
post Aug 27 2003, 06:39 PM
Post #12

I built the lightest 914 in the history of mankind.
****************************************************************************************************

Member No.: 222

Alot of clubs won't let you wear a m/c helmet for autox. It must be a Snell SA rated. Also NEVER buy a used helmet. Buy the newest year helmet as it will last longer before it needs replacing.

Loaner helmets are OK but sticking your head in someone elses sweaty hat is no fun.

Racer Warehouse has the cheapest helmet that I have found.

Paul
+Quote Post
ArtechnikA
post Aug 27 2003, 06:42 PM
Post #13

rich herzog

Member No.: 513

QUOTE(cavwpguy @ Aug 27 2003, 04:32 PM)
I got my wife an HJC helmet new at a motorcycle shop for about $200. Its a full motorcycle helmet, and has cool graphics.

which is cool until you find yourself at an event where current Snell certification is required, and then you may be in for an unpleasant surprise. know the rules before you buy.

evidently there -are- Snell-rated motorcycle helmets - this used to not be the case - and once upon a time Snell and DOT certifications were mutually exclusive and it seems this is also not (necessarily) true...

as for cool graphics, allow me to plug my own action (not really, i don't get a cut of Dave's work...) and suggest you check out some of the custom paint options available through ArtechnikA.com

|
V
+Quote Post
PatW
post Aug 27 2003, 08:04 PM
Post #14

Wassup?

Member No.: 317
Region Association: Northern California

Advice, Don't skimp on a Helmet. Buy the best one you can afford. Getting a motorcycle Helmet is likley ok for Autocross however. When I brought my Arai Motorcycle Helmet
to Skip Barber they would not let drive the Formula Cars with one. I had to wear one theirs. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif) I got lectured about Car Helmets taking more hits that a motorcycle helmet would with one big blow. Stands to reason to me. I didn't argue with them.

Thinking about getting a Car Helmet now. Wow!. Big bucks. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ohmy.gif)

Pat
+Quote Post
URY914
post Aug 27 2003, 08:40 PM
Post #15

I built the lightest 914 in the history of mankind.
****************************************************************************************************

Member No.: 222

Pat touched on the difference between m/c and car helmets. Car helmets are made to take several blows, as if you were bounching around hitting the cage. M/c helmets are made to hit the ground once per incident.

Buy the right helmet for the job.

Paul
+Quote Post
seanery
post Aug 27 2003, 09:50 PM
Post #16

waiting to rebuild whitey!

Member No.: 100

Garold,

Come down here Friday or Saturday and we can go to Simpson and you can try several on.
I think it's very important-especially on your first helmet to try before you buy. Mail Order is
ok if you know how the helmet fits, ie, replacing a busted or outdated one from the same Manufacturer.
+Quote Post
seanery
post Aug 27 2003, 09:51 PM
Post #17

waiting to rebuild whitey!

Member No.: 100

(IMG:http://www.simpsonraceproducts.com/world/images/map2_indy.gif)
+Quote Post
VegasRacer
post Aug 27 2003, 11:16 PM
Post #18

ELVIRA

Member No.: 481

As stated before. The on-line deals may look tempting but don't buy one untill you have tried it on. A Simpson and a Bell in the same size do not fit the same. A little tight is perfect. A little loose is not good.

How much is your head worth???
Let that be your guide when deciding what to buy.
Never skimp on safety items!

I strongly suggest a SA rated helmet.
Get a 2000. The 1995's are cheaper, but that only means you are going to have to buy a replacement 5 years sooner because most sanctioning bodies say your helmet can not be more than 10 years old.

Old thread on helmets
+Quote Post
PatW
post Aug 28 2003, 08:27 AM
Post #19

Wassup?

Member No.: 317
Region Association: Northern California

Dad always told me when I was growing up. "Son, they can put almost anything back together but, they can't put your head back together".

I had to find out the hard way. After a few wrecks on Motorcycles and week long headaches. I now own a 500$ Arai.

Pat
+Quote Post
garyh
post Aug 28 2003, 09:46 AM
Post #20

Member No.: 114

QUOTE(ChrisReale @ Aug 27 2003, 11:28 AM)
A lot of people will frown on you if you take the approach of getting the cheapest helmet you can get away with.  Fuck them.

Too true. You should never spend more on a helmet than your brain is worth.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 11th May 2024 - 06:01 AM