Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Replacing Fuel Lines, Anybody used compression fittings?
vesnyder
post Jan 12 2006, 12:41 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,933

Using the Pelican Tech Article I am venturing into replacing my tired plastic fuel lines. The article says he used fittings that according to NAPA are only "made to order"? (at the end of the article he says they leaked anyway?) Anybody ever used the brass compression fittings to get the right angle in the line as the line exits the tunnel and hugs the firewall into the engine compartment? The NAPA guy, who was very helpful, said they are rated at 2000 PSI (that should do it) and are readily available. I will let you know how they work.

Wish me luck!

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Allan
post Jan 12 2006, 01:12 PM
Post #2

Teenerless Weenie

Member No.: 2,304
Region Association: Southern California

When I did mine I was able to make a nice tight 90 out of the firewall so the tubing hugged it. I ended up using an HP ferrel compression fitting to run the tube around the engine bay and up through the holes in the engine shelf.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Demick
post Jan 12 2006, 01:18 PM
Post #3

Ernie made me do it!

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 257

I used fittings that came on the brake lines themselves. I used brake lines through the tunnel just like the Pelican article. However, I bent the tubing itself 90 degrees right after it exited the tunnel rather than using 90 deg fittings. From there, I used a simply union to attach it to another set of hard brake lines that run from the firewall, around the engine compartment, and up through the shelf (same path as the original fuel lines except bypassing the fuel pump/filter area since my fuel pump and filter were moved to the front at the same time).

Demick
+Quote Post
toon1
post Jan 12 2006, 01:38 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 5,022

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/agree.gif) I did the same thing 7buck 5/16 fuel from napa, used compression fittings worked great. Go slow and think it through, if you make the wrong mistake it may cost you a fuel line. I even used the stock rubber gromets at the firewall. It's not that hard, Good luck (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
vesnyder
post Jan 12 2006, 03:05 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 3,933

That sounds like a good option - what is the min radius you can bend the SS brake lines?
+Quote Post
toon1
post Jan 12 2006, 03:16 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 5,022

the line that I used was 5/16 brake line,mild steel, I said fuel in my last post, sorry. with the right size tubing bender you can get 90 deg. They will kink easy, go slow while doing it. It will have a radius to it but that is ok, I was able to keep it close to the fire wall.
+Quote Post
rivs914
post Jan 12 2006, 04:54 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 1,204

Hey guys, what is the size for the lines you've used? Feed is usually 9mm (3/8) and return is 7mm (5/16)? Looking like that?
+Quote Post
Allan
post Jan 12 2006, 04:56 PM
Post #8

Teenerless Weenie

QUOTE (rivs914 @ Jan 12 2006, 02:54 PM)
Hey guys, what is the size for the lines you've used? Feed is usually 9mm (3/8) and return is 7mm (5/16)? Looking like that?

I used 3/8th on both feed and return.

Wurked Gud...
+Quote Post
jhadler
post Jan 12 2006, 05:31 PM
Post #9

Long term tinkerer...

Member No.: 529

Wow, I'm jealous of ya'll. I tried for two weekends to make the steel brake lines fit down the tunnel. I finally gave up and bit the bullet and went with Aeroquip...

I made up all sorts of great expletives though... (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/headbang.gif)

How -did- you get the steel lines to fit through there?

-Josh2
+Quote Post
Katmanken
post Jan 12 2006, 05:50 PM
Post #10

You haven't seen me if anybody asks...

Member No.: 819
Region Association: Upper MidWest

It's easy...

Just remove the engine and tranny, and start feeding the lines in through the holes in the engine compartment bulkhead.

Once ya get the lines to the front of the tunnel, ya gotta reach in and bend them up to fit into the opening in the front trunk bulkhead. I removed the rubber trunk seal with the fuel line holes and slid the tubes into the opening. Then I slid the rubber onto the tubing protruding through the opening, finished pushing the tubes forward to the proper distance and then pushed the rubber seal back into position in the front bulkhead. Took a little back and forth bending and rebendinjg to get the front of the tubes at the correct angle and location so the rubber seal would fit properly.

I used single pieces of stainless tubing in 3/8 and 5/16 diameter (no couplings). Definitely more fun with couplings (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/blink.gif)

If your engine is in, it's hard to feed the tubing into the rear bulkhead and forces you to perpetually bend the tubing on the engine side of the firewall, shove it in a little, and then run around and straighten the tubing in the tunnel.

Cake! Not as bad as a wiring harness..

+Quote Post
jhadler
post Jan 12 2006, 06:18 PM
Post #11

Long term tinkerer...

Member No.: 529

Okay, had the engine and tranny out, had the gas tank out (still do) and the rubber grommet. Tried snaking the lines through both bent and un-bent. Could never get 'em through right. Bending the lines at the front of the tunnel after they were in, was more than just a PITA, it was darn near impossible. And trying to feed through pre-bent lines was a futile effort too. I don't know how you did it, but you've got my respect fer sure... (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/beer.gif)

-Josh2
+Quote Post
Allan
post Jan 12 2006, 06:20 PM
Post #12

Teenerless Weenie

If your motor is out it's really not that big of a deal. With mine out I think it took 2 or 3 hours until I was happy with it. Just become familiar with the tubing and a bender first. Once you have a good grasp of how everything works it'll be alot easier.
+Quote Post
Brew
post Jan 12 2006, 06:22 PM
Post #13

That's Captain Moron to you!

Member No.: 4,546

Would it be impossible to do it without pulling the motor?
+Quote Post
Allan
post Jan 12 2006, 06:24 PM
Post #14

Teenerless Weenie

QUOTE (Brew @ Jan 12 2006, 04:22 PM)
Would it be impossible to do it without pulling the motor?

No, it would just take a little longer.
+Quote Post
Demick
post Jan 12 2006, 06:28 PM
Post #15

Ernie made me do it!

To get the lines through the tunnel, I first inserted a long piece of wire through the old lines, and anchored it in the front - then pulled the old lines out leaving the wire in it's place. Then I inserted the new hard lines (front fitting cut off and wrapped in tape) over the wire and slid up through the tunnel. The wire acts as a guide forcing the new hard line to take the same path as the old line and making sure it goes through any metal straps that are meant to hold the line in place.

Also, the original lines were approx 5/16 for return and 3/8 for the feed (actually, 7mm and 9mm). But in my opinon, if you are moving the pump to the front - then 5/16 is fine for both. Reason for the 3/8 is because the fuel is gravity fed from the tank to the pump. But with the supply line now being pressure fed, 5/16 is plenty big.

Demick
+Quote Post
Demick
post Jan 12 2006, 06:29 PM
Post #16

Ernie made me do it!

I wouldn't attempt it with the engine in. Bad enough job as it is with the engine out.

Demick
+Quote Post
swl
post Jan 12 2006, 06:40 PM
Post #17

Member No.: 4,550
Region Association: Canada

When I took mine out they were hung up inside the tunnel. Turned out there were metal tabs holding them down - one set opposite the shift lever and one set down by the second access port from the firewall. I had to take the shifter off to get at the tabs. With the shifter off and all the access ports open it was easy to avoid snags. I think having the bends already in place for the front firewall helped too. the lines laid flat and sort of snowplowed to the right as it bumped into things.

Are there compression fittings that will go from the SS lines to an-6?
+Quote Post
Rrrockhound
post Jan 12 2006, 07:16 PM
Post #18

Member No.: 5,213
Region Association: None

How about aluminum lines, would they bend any easier than SS? No way in hell am I taking the engine out to do this job.
To get the lines through the tunnel, I first inserted a long piece of wire through the old lines, and anchored it in the front - then pulled the old lines out leaving the wire in it's place. Then I inserted the new hard lines (front fitting cut off and wrapped in tape) over the wire and slid up through the tunnel. The wire acts as a guide forcing the new hard line to take the same path as the old line and making sure it goes through any metal straps that are meant to hold the line in place.

Demick, what size wire did you use?
+Quote Post
Eddie Williams
post Jan 12 2006, 08:40 PM
Post #19

Member No.: 55
Region Association: None

The problem with aluminum is the whole metal memory thing, those tubes will vibrate a lot, and aluminum has only so many flexes in it before it will get brittle and break. I believe we have some mechanical/material or civil/structural engineers in here that can explain this a lot more eloquently than I can.

I’m no materials engineer... but I did sleep in a holiday inn express... once!!!
+Quote Post
Demick
post Jan 12 2006, 08:43 PM
Post #20

Ernie made me do it!

I just used some standard copper house wiring (Romex). 14ga. Strip off the insulator and you will have 3 or 4 strands of wiring depending on whether it is 14-2 or 14-2.

Be sure and make each length a little more than twice the length of the new fuel line as you need 5 or so feet passing through the center tunnel, and then you want to be able to thread the entire length of new tube onto that wire before it starts feeding into the tunnel. That way you can pull the wire taught while feeding the tubing through into the tunnel.

Demick
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 3rd May 2024 - 05:18 PM