Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> V8 radiator outlets, alternative to cutting wheelhouse?
914ltd
post Jan 24 2006, 11:01 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 581
Region Association: None

Hi Guys, A couple years ago we took a 914/Chev back to stock for a customer. I then decided to build a 283 powered car for myself. I would like to avoid the huge cutouts in the wheelhouse. has anyone mounted a fan on the trunk floor, possibly with the 2 fans already on the radiator? This would be great for an already AC cut trunk floor. I'd appreciate your input. Thanks! Brad

914 Limited Inc.
Brad Mayeur
1162 N. Byerly Hills Dr.
East Peoria, IL. 61611
309-694-1797
Fax 309-698-2203
P914ltd@yahoo.com
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
riverman
post Jan 24 2006, 11:22 AM
Post #2

Learn As I Go

Member No.: 3,466

Check out Philip Haun's V6 conversion. He has a radiator and fan unit mounted on the floor of the front trunk. All the air vents out the bottom of the car. Picture of the set-up here.
+Quote Post
neo914-6
post Jan 24 2006, 11:38 AM
Post #3

neo life

Member No.: 159

Laid down was how Jaide did it in the 80's. They even put a cover to keep the trunk useful. It may be in my "Jaide" thread in my signature...
+Quote Post
Rand
post Jan 24 2006, 12:55 PM
Post #4

Cross Member

Member No.: 3,573

How feasible could an engine-bay setup be? I know it wouldn't fit in front like the Suby, but there is some room beside a v8... is it even close to being enough?

Maybe a short and wide radiator, side duct from outside like modern mid-engine cars for intake, and a low profile duct across the engine-side directing exhaust air down?

I haven't had a chance to take a close look at a v8 engine bay with this in mind, so this may be out of the question. But I don't know, so I thought I'd throw this out there and get some comments.

Green=radiator, red=duct...

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Jan 24 2006, 01:01 PM
Post #5

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87

Brad,

Reddawg also has thier radiators exit thru the floor, I've only seen one of thier radiator setups up close and personal in a Chevy Vortec 4.3 V6 in a 914 and the owner never mentioned having any problems with it.

+Quote Post
MikeP
post Jan 24 2006, 01:06 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 4,268

It just so happens that I have the fiberglass mount for that setup. I have not taken it out yet as I was thinking of enclosing the radiator exhaust with an aluminum duct that tied it all together. I may go with all aluminum and remove it, if so I'll offer it in the classifieds.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Crazyhippy
post Jan 24 2006, 01:16 PM
Post #7

Insert witty comment here...

Member No.: 4,493

The bigest problem w/ going through the floor is it is a much higher pressure area than the wheel wells. Same issue occurs going through the hood.

Perhaps the same 1" lip at the leading edge of the hole will help (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/confused24.gif)

End up w/ a LOT of air being passed under the car though, remeber that during your high speed testing (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/clap56.gif) (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/beer.gif)

BJH
+Quote Post
marks914
post Jan 25 2006, 10:57 AM
Post #8

Member No.: 2,912

Hey Brad,
I tried using only the floor cutout for a while, the car ran a little warm. I then cut out the fenderwells, car ran cooler. I put a piece of abs over the hole in the trunk floor and the car never ran hot again. I do not have any scientific data, but that's what my experience is.

The air pressure under the car will be higher than in the wheelwells, UNLESS you have an airdam in front and around the sides of the hole in the trunk floor. Idealy the airdam should be just rearward of the radiator air inlet. I will make a diagram.

Mark.

PS 20,000 miles on my V8 so far
+Quote Post
marks914
post Jan 25 2006, 11:09 AM
Post #9

Member No.: 2,912

Here is a diagram, I had a setup like this too before I cut out my wheelwells, helped a little but not as well as cutting the wheelwells.

Yes, I have spent some time in a full size automotive wind tunnel so I do have some knowledge, just no hard figures.

Mark

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
mrdezyne
post Jan 25 2006, 11:22 AM
Post #10

Now on larger rolling jack stands!

Member No.: 4,510

QUOTE (Crazyhippy @ Jan 24 2006, 11:16 AM)
The bigest problem w/ going through the floor is it is a much higher pressure area than the wheel wells. Same issue occurs going through the hood.

Perhaps the same 1" lip at the leading edge of the hole will help (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/confused24.gif)

BJH

So will this work with a 1" leading edge deflector? Has anyone had success venting through the hood?

Otherwise I suppose I will try the fender well thing too.....

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Crazyhippy
post Jan 25 2006, 11:31 AM
Post #11

QUOTE (mrdezyne @ Jan 25 2006, 09:22 AM)

BJH

So will this work with a 1" leading edge deflector? Has anyone had success venting through the hood?

"Work" is relative.

There are people driving cars set up this way. For it to "work" in my eyes it would have to work better than the fenderwells, and thus far no one has shown me it does.

I dont understand why people are opposed to cutting the inner fenders (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/confused24.gif) I have yet to see any stress indicators assuming the holes are cut w/ a smoth corner (holesaw and connect the dots is the best way i've found), and the "eyes" (turn signal humps) are still in place. If you have a chalon or slantnose car, some simple downbars take car of any stress that may occur.

BJH
+Quote Post
bondo
post Jan 25 2006, 12:18 PM
Post #12

Practicing my perpendicular parking

Member No.: 587
Region Association: Central California

The strength of that area comes from the compound curve.. There's a big enough flatish spot that probably doesn't add much strength, and if you cut out both sides it should be enough area for your average V8. That's what I did, we'll see how it works. If you are still worried you can weld in expanded mesh. That will bring back most of the strength but still allow air flow.
+Quote Post
DBCooper
post Jan 25 2006, 12:23 PM
Post #13

14's in the 13's with ATTITUDE

Member No.: 2,618
Region Association: Northern California

I dont understand why people are opposed to cutting the inner fenders (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/confused24.gif)

1. If you're ever caught out in the rain (assuming you live where rain can come up quickly and unexpectedly) the fenderwell holes will let a lot of dirty water be thrown up and into the trunk. Or you pull over and wait hours (or days) until the rain stops and things dry out.

2. The hood isn't structural, so if you hit anything there isn't much "crumple" potential left up there.

3. Doesn't Renegade cross brace the area under the headlights to eliminate headlight vibration when the wheel wells are cut out?

4. Would be nice to be able to carry something loose up there occasionally, without even having to consider if it might bounce out.

And especially:

5. Avoid having to explain points 1 through 4 to every friend who sees the inside of your open trunk when the wheelwells are cut out.
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Jan 25 2006, 12:29 PM
Post #14

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172

Tis what I have on mysetup..

My main problem is that
A; I dont have a 1in leading edge (its very small)
B: my hood is flat black and attracts a LOT of heat (read I burn my hand in the sun, vs another 914 had a cool hood)
c: I dont have it ducted properly.

That being said, I ran it at the wcc... Track it maxed out at 210, and I never saw it over 215. Even durring the 3 hour drive..

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Jan 25 2006, 12:31 PM
Post #15

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172

and hood.

pics are from a long time ago...

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Root_Werks
post Jan 25 2006, 12:33 PM
Post #16

Village Idiot

Member No.: 2,105
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Since I plan on doing a V8 914 this year, I will have to keep on eye on this thread. Some interesting ideas here. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/idea.gif)
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
andys
post Jan 25 2006, 12:35 PM
Post #17

Advanced Member

Member No.: 721

QUOTE (mrdezyne @ Jan 25 2006, 09:22 AM)

BJH [/QUOTE]

This is what I'm doing. The only thing I dislike about fender well venting, is that it creates a great big hot box ahead of the fuel tank. I have fabricated a duct that is gasketed with foam against the underside of the hood so that all the air will flow through the ducting. Actually, all of the ducting will be completely sealed; intake and exhaust sides. I also like the natural flow of hot air allowed to vent upward when the car is standing still. Hopefully, I can report on the success or failure of this method when I finish the car.

Andys

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Crazyhippy
post Jan 25 2006, 01:41 PM
Post #18

QUOTE (Paul Illick @ Jan 25 2006, 10:23 AM)

I dont understand why people are opposed to cutting the inner fenders (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/confused24.gif)

1. If you're ever caught out in the rain (assuming you live where rain can come up quickly and unexpectedly) the fenderwell holes will let a lot of dirty water be thrown up and into the trunk. Or you pull over and wait hours (or days) until the rain stops and things dry out.

2. The hood isn't structural, so if you hit anything there isn't much "crumple" potential left up there.

3. Doesn't Renegade cross brace the area under the headlights to eliminate headlight vibration when the wheel wells are cut out?

4. Would be nice to be able to carry something loose up there occasionally, without even having to consider if it might bounce out.

And especially:

5. Avoid having to explain points 1 through 4 to every friend who sees the inside of your open trunk when the wheelwells are cut out.

1. Rain will get in anyways, you have a hole there somewhere (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/wacko.gif) And odds are good that there will be more water coming in from the front (w/ the airflow) than fighting through the air to get in.

2. Agreed, no structure in the hood. Very little in the inner fenders w/ stock outer fenders.

3. If the car has cage plans in the future, or has fiberglass fenders, yes. W/ cage plans it's the easiest time to do it... dont have to remove the radiator int he future. W/ fiberglass fenders, the strength of the outerfenders is gone, so there is alot more load on the inners.

4. It can still come out the hole in the floor or hood (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/unsure.gif) And You can use expanded sheet metal to cover the holes if you would like.

5. If anyone mentions it... Kick them in the throat (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/ninja.gif) (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif)

BJH (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/driving.gif)
+Quote Post
mrdezyne
post Jan 25 2006, 02:38 PM
Post #19

I like the idea of venting through the hood for no other reasons other than asthetics. A couple deep vents up there I think would look really agressive. Of course if it cools that would be a bonus. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/dry.gif)

inspriration......

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
mrdezyne
post Jan 25 2006, 02:40 PM
Post #20

and one really nice little teener...... Who's is this BTW?

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 3rd May 2024 - 05:14 PM