Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> One or Two GT3 seats for neo914-6?, need designer's or aesthetic advise...
neo914-6
post Apr 7 2006, 10:01 AM
Post #1

neo life

Group: Members
Member No.: 159

The drivers seat is mounted, just not sure the fixed passenger seat idea can "work". I can reshape the bottom and backrest to match but the shoulder support and headrest protrude.

The Audi dash shape will match the headrest and the door panels are reshaped as well.

Two seats will have symetry but not at the dash. They will reduce the need for back padding if any but then it will look less "production". This is why I removed the cage and opted for the hidden Engman reinforcements. Making harnesses look "factory" is also a detail challenge...

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Aaron Cox
post Apr 7 2006, 10:08 AM
Post #2

Professional Lawn Dart

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 219
Region Association: Southern California

just my .02, the big gt3 headrests look like :stomberg: because they are flowing and round, where as the targa bar is as square as can be.... they just dont fit the car very well.

if you can make it work, rock on!
lets see what you can do (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
Pistachio
post Apr 7 2006, 10:59 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 5,684

IMO if you ever intend to carry a "co-driver" during spirited sessions, you need to provide them with the equipment to enjoy the ride. The same reason you need a different seat to drive well, is exactly the same reason why they'll hate riding with you if you don't give them the same amenities.

Having said that, I'll also suggest that if your passenger is more than likely to be a female, she'll hate a narrow waisted racing seat. She'd like something simular in style/support, but a little wider in the seat to fit her wider hip structure.

JMO
(if you really need to know, you could ask me how an ingnorant male like me knows this - but you can probably figure that out for yourself (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/wink.gif) )

Having said all that - the asymetrical appearance of you sketch kinda appeals to me - think probably because you don't see it all the time. If it were to be a "show car", I'd be tempted to go with it...

But... when push-comes-to-shove... If-it-were-my-car... I'd mount another simular seat to the drivers to be symetrical... for the reasons listed above. (everythings more fun if everyone's having fun)
+Quote Post
horizontally-opposed
post Apr 7 2006, 03:31 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,058
Region Association: None

When I read the tagline for the thread, my first thought whether the GT3 seats could look good in a 914 and my second thought was that if they could it would have to be both.

Then I saw your sketch.

I really LIKE the single GT3 seat -- because it mimics the 914's original concept of being a simple lightweight sports car focused on the driver and little else....a pretty hardcore concept that was diluted somewhat for the 1972 model year for what most (myself included) would consider a real improvement.

Still, I think your sketch and idea is AWESOME because it captures the essence of the 1969/1970 914's original concept and modernizes it.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/clap56.gif) (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/clap56.gif) (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/clap56.gif)

All that said, AARon picks up the only fatal flaw I see -- the round-top headrest looks out of place with the 914 targa bar.

A simple fix: have a good upholstery shop flatten the top of the headrest, make the flat spot maybe five or six inches wide. Then I think it would look sweet!

pete
+Quote Post
neo914-6
post Apr 7 2006, 05:43 PM
Post #5

neo life

QUOTE (horizontally-opposed @ Apr 7 2006, 01:31 PM)
When I read the tagline for the thread, my first thought whether the GT3 seats could look good in a 914 and my second thought was that if they could it would have to be both.

Then I saw your sketch.

I really LIKE the single GT3 seat -- because it mimics the 914's original concept of being a simple lightweight sports car focused on the driver and little else....a pretty hardcore concept that was diluted somewhat for the 1972 model year for what most (myself included) would consider a real improvement.

Still, I think your sketch and idea is AWESOME because it captures the essence of the 1969/1970 914's original concept and modernizes it.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/clap56.gif) (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/clap56.gif) (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/clap56.gif)

All that said, AARon picks up the only fatal flaw I see -- the round-top headrest looks out of place with the 914 targa bar.

A simple fix: have a good upholstery shop flatten the top of the headrest, make the flat spot maybe five or six inches wide. Then I think it would look sweet!

pete

Thanks Pete and all, unfortunately the sketch only shows one view and details of the design.

Yes the fixed passenger seat was/is a unique idea and I wanted to preserve that with a seat that doesn't lift you off the floor much. Most of the aftermarket competition buckets don't aesthetically "fit" the 914 except the ones that have adapted the stock headrest. I like Siverson's solution of integrating buckets without headrests but wanted to highlight the importance of the drivers seat.

Having the headrest shape and flat targa band/rear window lines "work" is the obvious challenge. For one, the rear window will give way to a radiused shape at the inside corners (electric). The targa will be reformed with two head humps similar to the Lancia Ralley 036 breaking up the flatness while the top is on. Another plan is to use a harness bar similar to Joe Sharp's with double hoops. I made sketches of a fixed round passenger headrest and even considered late Bug semi-circular style but they didn't look right either.

The passenger seat will be bolstered a little more than stock and the harness should be sufficient.

Good idea on flattening the top, I hadn't thought of that... (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/clap56.gif)

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
r_towle
post Apr 7 2006, 06:00 PM
Post #6

Custom Member

Member No.: 124
Region Association: North East States

looking at your drawing got me thinking...

You know what would look really cool...look at the cobra bucket seats, the speedster and spyder buckets seats...the low back ones...

If you were to put two of the low back seats in, both adjustable...then mold them into the backpad...you could make it really look stock, custom ....

That would be sharp...

Rich
+Quote Post
neo914-6
post Apr 7 2006, 09:57 PM
Post #7

neo life

QUOTE (r_towle @ Apr 7 2006, 04:00 PM)
looking at your drawing got me thinking...

You know what would look really cool...look at the cobra bucket seats, the speedster and spyder buckets seats...the low back ones...

If you were to put two of the low back seats in, both adjustable...then mold them into the backpad...you could make it really look stock, custom ....

That would be sharp...

Rich

you mean like this but with more side support? (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/rolleyes.gif)

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
neo914-6
post Apr 7 2006, 10:10 PM
Post #8

neo life

Audi instrument pod.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Apr 8 2006, 04:39 AM
Post #9

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172
Region Association: Northern California

One really would set it off.

Give it a feel of going back to its roots..

Just enough to give it 914-6 blood..

Andrew..
+Quote Post
cbenitah
post Apr 8 2006, 09:25 AM
Post #10

Protected by the Swedish Maffia

Member No.: 4,597

Maybe just me, but I like these.. don't know how much different they are from the GT3, but in my opinion flow with the body better..

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
neo914-6
post Apr 22 2006, 06:55 PM
Post #11

neo life

Cris,

Even if they got on the market I'll bet they would go for over $5k...each. There is a reason GTC's go for $500k+...

All,

These headrests are similar shape to stock 914. Rare seats and comparable price to the GT3's but would work well in my redesign. If I got a pair I could sell the other and retain the fixed passenger seat. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
neo914-6
post Dec 6 2006, 02:50 AM
Post #12

neo life

in progress

Attached Image

mostly together...

Attached Image
+Quote Post
VegasRacer
post Dec 6 2006, 05:49 AM
Post #13

ELVIRA

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 481
Region Association: None

Hi Felix (IMG:style_emoticons/default/bye1.gif) I am thrilled to see more and more of the details on Neo914/6 come together. Your vision turned reality has been on my mind frequently since the debut at SEMA. How long before the maiden voyage?
*(Tell your sisters I said "Hello".)

Keeping the recessed passenger seat concept is brilliant. I have seen Siverson's car. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/drooley.gif) His design and execution is fantastic. It looks like it belongs. Elvira has mismatched seats, so I certainly don't have a problem with making the pilots seat superior. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/icon22_2.gif)

The GT3 seat shape echos the dash well. However..... I thought it looked a bit to big and out of place in person. Getting some of the similar lines and forms on the passenger side should tie it all together.

I like those other rare seats very much. They would look great in a teener, but I'm not sure they would work in Neo914/6.

**(Keep up the good work) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif)
+Quote Post
mrdezyne
post Dec 6 2006, 09:45 AM
Post #14

Now on larger rolling jack stands!

Member No.: 4,510

Hey Felix! Good to see continued progress on Neo.

Everyone has had great input and as a whole it sounds like we would like to see you keep the built in seat for retro-sake but improve on the idea for passenger secure seating sake. I propose the following....

The GT3 seat looks fine on its own but needs a little something to help tie it in with the rest of that back rest. How about building up the passengers seat to mimic the lower half of the GT3 seat? This would tie it all together and provide the passenger with a little extra side bolstering while also retaining the original built in passenger seat look?

What do you think of this? (Excuse the quick and dirty p-shop)

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
mrhurtalot
post Dec 6 2006, 09:52 AM
Post #15

VRRRRRRROOOOOOOOOM!

Member No.: 6,996

neo. i like that frist design alot.

it kind of says "i am the driver. you are the passenger"
+Quote Post
neo914-6
post Dec 6 2006, 09:00 PM
Post #16

neo life

I'm happy with it for now but I may try some new ideas later. I was thinking of making a single soft tonneau had I made the rear window roll down.

I sketched other headrests and higher bolsters but decided it was either "all or nothing" in duplicating the two seat shapes or having them asymetrical. I think the GT3 "wings" are large even in 911's but it's dominant size and shape elevates the drivers importance.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 04:27 AM