Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 914 inferno
Joe Ricard
post Nov 20 2003, 07:17 AM
Post #1

CUMONIWANNARACEU

Group: Members
Member No.: 92

Last night my sons burned up in the garage. We pulled the motor last night. remember it was all disconnected last week including gas. I put the chasis in the mother in laws garage and kept the engine and trans in mine.
Got a call from her around midnight telling me of an explosion and the car is burning. Fire department was very quick to the scene and limited the fire to just the garage. Only some smoke in the house.

The bad news is the car kept burning till the tank ran out. pretty bad. springs have collapsed and tires flat. no paint anywhere. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)
Any lawyers or insurance agents out there. Because the car was off insurance, but was in the residentail garage will the home owners policy cover it?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
redshift
post Nov 20 2003, 07:23 AM
Post #2

Bless the Hell out of you!

Member No.: 869

Oh man, sorry to hear that you got more trouble than you bargained for..

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

I'm sad for you, I hope the homeowner's insurance covers that $10,000.00 you were going to post pictures of.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Glad nobody was hurt, sorry again..

Miles
+Quote Post
seanery
post Nov 20 2003, 07:27 AM
Post #3

waiting to rebuild whitey!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 100
Region Association: None

this really sucks! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ohmy.gif)

I'm so sorry to hear it. I hope your mother is ok.
+Quote Post
DNHunt
post Nov 20 2003, 08:34 AM
Post #4

914 Wizard? No way. I got too much to learn.

Member No.: 598

Man that is so sad.

You might want to call your insurance agent just to get his opinion. I have had 3rd party insurance claims people try to BS their way out of paying claims. Since you don't actually hold the policy I guess they feel they don't have to worry about making you mad.

I hope you can work this out

Dave
+Quote Post
Joe Ricard
post Nov 20 2003, 08:36 AM
Post #5

CUMONIWANNARACEU

Yes everyone is OK. even that damn cat. Hard to put a price on a car like that.

WAS: 74 2.0L Alaska Blue Metalic. 5 Fuchs brand new Kumhos, Corbeau seats, Turbo tie rods( just put in last month), Fiberglass front rear bumpers valence &air dam. 320i brakes 19mm MC stainless flexlines new hard lines,
+Quote Post
kafermeister
post Nov 20 2003, 08:54 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 174

Sorry Joe. I don't have to tell you that just plain stinks. The added stress of having it almost take a house with it has to be hard. A relatives house no less. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

I'm hoping for the best for you. Glad all the carbon based life forms made it out ok.

Is the car fixable? Even as a track only vehicle?

Rick
+Quote Post
Howard
post Nov 20 2003, 09:20 AM
Post #7

Incontin(g)ent Member

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 943

Sorry to hear, Joe. Unfortunately, home policies exclude damage to 'motor vehicles'. There is a fudge factor so that riding lawn mowers and such can be covered, but cars and motorcycles are out.

Howard
+Quote Post
Joe Ricard
post Nov 20 2003, 10:27 AM
Post #8

CUMONIWANNARACEU

Howard I kinda thought that would be the case. Cars are replaceble.

Kafer I briefly thought about track car. But seriously didn't get a good look at it. 3:30 in the morning the thing was still hot. or warm. No idea what is salvageable, if anything is Good I will sell as parts and probably offer up roller to anyone that wants to come get it.

Rear spring are totally collapsed. I think that the whole car got pretty hot. I mean there were flames throughout and took 20 -30 minutes to put out. The uni-body is going to be brittle (shouldn't flex much now.... Just crack) . Best I can hope for is the FUCHS are OK.

Why does work really suck today?????? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post
Howard
post Nov 20 2003, 11:43 AM
Post #9

Incontin(g)ent Member

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 943

Joe, mikez is trying to unload a yellow 73 2.0 that looks pretty good. Try to keep him from parting it out.

For a little cheer:

They just busted a prostitution ring that was run from an auto junkyard. Wonder if they had a self-service area where you could pull your own parts
+Quote Post
GWN7
post Nov 20 2003, 11:46 AM
Post #10

King of Road Trips

Member No.: 56
Region Association: Northstar Region

Generally the car will not be covered, but parts that were not installed on it will be, if you have receipts for them. These will be under your house insurance. You would have to have a storage insurance policy for the car to be covered.

You can get storage insurance for fairly cheep. Covers the car for fire, theft and vandalism.

The stuff in the garage is usually covered under the MIL's house insurance (lawnmowers, ect.)

Sorry to hear of your loss. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Nov 20 2003, 11:51 AM
Post #11

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87

I know someone that had thier garage go up in flames, inside was two cars, a 356 on jackstands and some kind of family car (daily driver)

the home owners insurance covered the car on jackstands, but not the other car....

Sorry to hear this happened to you, any idea what started the fire??
+Quote Post
Joe Ricard
post Nov 20 2003, 12:16 PM
Post #12

CUMONIWANNARACEU

Fire marshall was just at the house. Don't know the details yet. But this is going to kill ya. As I said before the motor was out so the gas line of course was disconnected and secured up high with tape. Guess it was still venting vapors. My son said there was about a 1/2 a tank. Will never know now. around mid-night there was a mighty boom and fire ball. Read gas water heater kicked on.

I have also decided to postpone the trip to Seattle. My yellow 914 will rest quietly in buddies work shop till I can get it.

Still got the motor and trans in my garage with a washer in the oil sump. This was step 1. to the scenario. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/chair.gif)
+Quote Post
krk
post Nov 20 2003, 12:17 PM
Post #13

Member No.: 22

Man, sorry to hear about the fire! Glad it was only a car tho.

I too would be interested to hear thoughts about the cause. My garage has the water heater and a boiler for radiant heat. They've been raised off the floor to meet code, but they both have pilot flames in them.

We've not put a car in the garage yet, but when the 930 comes back from paint, we were thinking it should come in from the car port... you get the idea.

kim.
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Nov 20 2003, 12:30 PM
Post #14

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(Joe Ricard @ Nov 20 2003, 10:16 AM)
and secured up high with tape

man, that sucks! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mad.gif)
glad no one got hurt.

i no it's too late now, but never use tape to close of a fuel line.
use a bolt that is slightly bigger than the line, screw it in, then put a hose-clamp around it.

Andy
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
krk
post Nov 20 2003, 01:03 PM
Post #15

Member No.: 22

Didn't see the reply while typeing.

Down here, the code says water heaters/etc must be elevated off the floor (18in, iirc), (which we did) and there are holes below that level in the side of the garage for venting purposes.

Still makes me nervous. Thx for sharing the info tho!

kim.
+Quote Post
Bleyseng
post Nov 20 2003, 01:05 PM
Post #16

Aircooled Baby!

Member No.: 24
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

and fold the hose over pinching it. Clamp it together so it goes nowhere and doesn't leak.

I had a friend of Blairs use my garage once to reinstall a motor in a VW bus. I told him to use only the shop lite with a safety cover over it just incase gas splashed out when he hooked up the fuel lines. Of course he didn't use that shop lite and lit the gas on fire. Liquid flames in a ten foot circle!!! I pushed the bus outside quickly so the garage wouldn't go up in flames and then put the fire out. Didnt do all that much damage but...scared the crap out of everyone.

Sorry about your loss Joe! Maybe that Black car of Brad is something to look at, no rust!!

Geoff (IMG:style_emoticons/default/burnout.gif)
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Nov 20 2003, 01:33 PM
Post #17

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Member No.: 43
Region Association: Northstar Region

No one has mentioned the worse part. Don't make any statements to anyone and call you Insurance Carrier. Your MIL's Carrier is going to come after you for the damage to her house. Your Insurance carrier will need to defend you. This may also trash your credit rating if to goes to suit. This is not legal advise. Just passing on common knowledge.
+Quote Post
Joe Ricard
post Nov 20 2003, 02:48 PM
Post #18

CUMONIWANNARACEU

It's my house, she just lives in it so that I can live in the other one in peace. one insurance company. one policy. Fire marshal ruled it an accident.
+Quote Post
Joe Ricard
post Nov 20 2003, 02:54 PM
Post #19

CUMONIWANNARACEU

In loving memory of my and my sons cool blue teener

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Brad Roberts
post Nov 20 2003, 03:01 PM
Post #20

914 Freak!

Member No.: 8

Joe,

I just read thru everything.. not good. Sorry to hear about this. I dont mind seeing teeners cut up for parts when I know the parts are going to be used on another 914.. but this case is not good. If you get any pics of the "carcass" please post them. We will make this into a "safety concern" for the club site or something. I think about this type of thing every night when I leave the shop. Every time the fridge kicks on.. it makes me nervous.

This is really bad.. but I'm offering it to you.. I have a 74 roller that will be missing its interior very soon. The left front fender is crunched and needs repair along with the left rear fender. The chassis is strait and rust free. Its Yellow and the crunch didnt get to the actual body (fender bender). I can sell you the rolling chassis minus interior for 300$ within the next 10 days. The title is clear. Its actually a decent car. It will need paint.. I think it has the original paint on it. If you want more details let me know.

B
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th May 2024 - 07:36 PM