Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Decided to drive
Ferg
post Mar 12 2003, 05:29 PM
Post #1

914 Guru

Group: Members
Member No.: 116
Region Association: None

Ok, my earlier post I asked some info on shipping companys. Well I decided to do the fly in drive home route. I did this in exact drive (Yorba Linda to Denver) last year in my current car, and I am hoping my luck has not run out. This car is a 2.7 conversion though, and all sounds great according to the seller. Heres a link to what I bought, and yes the stripe is soon to be history (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)
http://adcache.collectorcartraderonline.co.../8/42957288.htm
So, other than learning how to correctly check oil level on a six, what words of wisdom do J.P. and other 2.7 guys have for me? Car checked out good, recent rebuild ect. But if it were you what tools, should I go to FLAPS and buy before I leave the state? I do have AAA and a cell phone (two very important tools). The worst that happened last year in the 2.0 car was shift coupler bushings that turned to dust ON TOP OF VAIL PASS! I managed to find 3rd, cut up rubber hose found on the side of the road, and stuff it in the T and Duct tape it. Got me home. Thanks and wish me luck (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)
And if anyone's close by on my way to vegas I would not be against swinging in to say hi
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
MarkV
post Mar 12 2003, 05:53 PM
Post #2

Fear the Jack Stands

Member No.: 154

Nice car !

Mark

73 2.0
+Quote Post
Chris H.
post Mar 12 2003, 06:30 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 73
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Very nice car Ferg! The stripe is a bit much... but it sounds like you're already going to take care of that.

I think you made a good choice to drive her home. If my car wasn't so far I would have done that when I bought it last year. Waiting for it to get here SUCKED! You start to wonder just what the hell they might be doing to the thing while they have it.....

I'm sure plenty will chime in on what to bring in your "emergency kit". Drive safely!

Chris H.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
seanery
post Mar 12 2003, 06:44 PM
Post #4

waiting to rebuild whitey!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 100

Hopefully the worst part of the trip will be driving a car with a big-ass purple stripe.

Nice car, can't wait to see pics without the stripe!
+Quote Post
drew365
post Mar 12 2003, 06:48 PM
Post #5

These are the good old days!

Member No.: 37

I recommend taking a spare alternator belt, clutch cable and accelerator cable. You'd be hard pressed to find those if you need them and they don't take up much room. I bought a car in Eugene Oregon and drove it to L.A. many years ago. I still have fond memories of that trip. As you get closer to home you'll probably wish you lived further away.
+Quote Post
Jeffs9146
post Mar 12 2003, 08:13 PM
Post #6

Ski Bum

Member No.: 128

I did a drive home in an early 911 once (67) and the Distributor cap cracked when I decided to push the limits in the desert, sunday night at 6:00!! Talk about stuck! Luckly I found some super glue and duct tape in the trunk and was able to make it to the next town. The next morning I bought another cap and decide to see how long my repair would hold! I made it from Las Vegas to Fresno before needing to replace the cap. The cables, belts, AAA and a cell phone are also good ideas!

Good luck!

Jeff

PS: Bring a good spair tire and make sure the jack in present!
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Mar 12 2003, 08:40 PM
Post #7

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Member No.: 43
Region Association: Northstar Region

Bring a camera and a friend If you can buy a cheap spare plane ticket. These road trips are the best thing for good friends. I could tell you some great road trip stories. Don't stress out over it. When you think about it the trip is less than the distance of an oil change interval. Bring a lap that has a dial up incase you get stranded and have to get a room. You could post your location on the board and maybe they'll be a teener close for spare parts or a garage help. Have a great trip I wish I was going with. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/clap56.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mueba.gif)
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Curvie Roadlover
post Mar 12 2003, 09:45 PM
Post #8

Two trunks are better than one!

Member No.: 42

Good luck on your trip. Last Nov. I flew out to SF and bought a car and drove it home to MI - 3K miles in 4 days. It was a great trip. If yours goes half as well as mine you will LOVE it!. I'd do it again in a minute! Post pics when you get back. I was surprized at how comfortable a car it was for a long haul like that. You may wanna get that stripe off before you leave (IMG:style_emoticons/default/barf.gif)
Here's me somewhere between CA and MI lovin' every minute!
+Quote Post
GWN7
post Mar 12 2003, 09:56 PM
Post #9

King of Road Trips

Member No.: 56

Plan your trip so your through Vail before dark. It was snowing like hell when I went through there. That was the only bad part of the road trip (on the way home).

Hotel rooms in Mesquite, NV are $19.95 during the week.

tools: feeler gauge, vicegrips, duck tape, lenght of rope, screw drivers, plyers, metric wrenches
+Quote Post
dgw
post Mar 12 2003, 10:16 PM
Post #10

Dennis Winter

Member No.: 106
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(GWN7 @ Mar 12 2003, 07:56 PM)

Hotel rooms in Mesquite, NV are $19.95 during the week.

Is that with or without a room mate?
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)
+Quote Post
anthony
post Mar 12 2003, 10:45 PM
Post #11

2270 club

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 218

A couple guys that post to rennlist did a 914 cross country drive last year. They recommended a trip to Sears at the beginning of the trip to purchase a nice big tool kit and emergency supplies and then returning them upon arrival (if still unused).
+Quote Post
boxstr
post Mar 12 2003, 11:58 PM
Post #12

MEMBER:PACIFIC NORTHWEST REGION

Member No.: 12
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

I would think you already a had a PPI done in Carlsbad, where the car is located? If not I would do that before you get there, may help expose any problems. Also make sure the seller included the spare and jack and since it is five lug car, I would check that the lug nuts screw on and get enough of the threads. I looked at a five lug car 911 suspension, the lug nuts were very dangerously close to falling off even though they were on tight.
Have fun and get to know your new car.
CCLinLOO
+Quote Post
GWN7
post Mar 13 2003, 12:07 AM
Post #13

King of Road Trips

Member No.: 56

dgw....I don't think they charged extra for my girl friend....However, what you do as an adult is your own business, as long as you don't do it in a public place or get caught. Film at 11 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

When I flew out to the West coast and drove the 70 home, last September. I was advised to check the spare and jack. I ended up buying a jack, fix a flat in a can and new wiper blades before I set out. The spare was almost flat too.

Check everything before you head out, even the wheel lugs.

Short story...last spring I'm looking at a IROC Camaro in Calgary. Call dealer, call buddy who lives there, He's going to take it to get checked out. Picks up car. 15 minutes later, strange noise. Car drops to pavement RR side and tire passes him. Buddy (now pissed) hitches back to dealer and hands them the keys. Previous road tester didn't tighten up lug bolts after checking the brakes. I didn't buy car, bought first P car instead.
+Quote Post
Ferg
post Mar 13 2003, 08:53 AM
Post #14

914 Guru

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) Great replys. Like I said I did this exact drive last october in my current teener. Maybe this time I will do the detour and see the grand canyon. Good idea about the lug nuts ect. I would have taken that for granted. Sears will most likely be my first stop.
Weather looks clear on friday and Sat the whole way back. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cool_shades.gif)
Ferg.
now somebody buy my car in the classifieds so I can pay for stripe removal. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)
+Quote Post
Mike D.
post Mar 13 2003, 02:41 PM
Post #15

OK, It runs now, and pretty good too!

Member No.: 85

Here are some more pictures of that cool stripe. This car was for sale at the Dunkle Swap in Anaheim. It was in very good condition inside and out. Engine bay was also very clean.

Enjoy.
+Quote Post
Mike D.
post Mar 13 2003, 02:41 PM
Post #16

and another...
+Quote Post
Mike D.
post Mar 13 2003, 02:42 PM
Post #17

one for shits and grins... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif)
+Quote Post
Ferg
post Mar 13 2003, 02:44 PM
Post #18

914 Guru

Never thought to ask if it was for sale at any of the shows. I'm afraid to ask but do you remember the asking price?? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif)
Is that Dew on the trunk pic, I hope so, the pic's I saw show a smooth surface.
+Quote Post
Mike D.
post Mar 13 2003, 04:12 PM
Post #19

If I remember correctly it is just morning dew. I don't remember what the asking price was, I do remember laughing about the "Factory Airconditioning" that was listed on the for sale sign. I can check to see if my buddy Chuck has any close ups of the car. He was taking alot of pictures that day. Let you know.
-Mike D.
+Quote Post
Ferg
post Mar 13 2003, 04:18 PM
Post #20

914 Guru

Thanks, I was told the air works, not that I plan on ever using it. Would there be an advantage (performance or otherwise) to removing it?? Sounds like a good ebay item LOL (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 3rd May 2024 - 12:03 PM