Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Rear Reflector and Trunk Release
STL914
post Jan 16 2004, 11:45 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,271
Region Association: Upper MidWest

I'm considering installing a rear PORSCHE reflector on my '72 and need some advice/opinions on what type of trunk release to use. I know that most use the electric soleniod but I have also read of people using some type of cable set up. Can someone tell me more on the cable method with some photos?

Thanks (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_flagge6.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(1 - 19)
campbellcj
post Jan 16 2004, 11:50 PM
Post #2

I can't Re Member

Member No.: 21
Region Association: Southern California

The solenoids are pretty reliable but I think it is a good idea to have a manual release of some kind anyway. One "easy" option is to just drill a small hole in the reflector where you can push the latch with a coat-hanger or similar implement. The hole is barely visible from a few feet away.

Even if the solenoid is fine, you have to have everything aligned and adjusted exactly right or the latch can "jam" shut.

OK that's my $.02
+Quote Post
Brad Roberts
post Jan 16 2004, 11:54 PM
Post #3

914 Freak!

Member No.: 8
Region Association: None

Hi Gary,

I need to dig up the pics to show you.. but installing one of those (the new ones are crap BTW) requires you to drill/cut massive holes into the rear sheet metal of the trunk. It is nasty. Once you cut it.. there is no turning back without having a body shop on stand by.

B
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Jan 16 2004, 11:59 PM
Post #4

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

yupp, what they ^^^^ said.

i have a "solenoid" for sale, if you're interested. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)
the new (aftermarket) reflectors suck. they're too dark.
i have a (real) 911 reflector that was cut to fit the 914. looks WAY better. (and is for sale too)

i have never seen a good working cable release, BUT you can add a emergency cable release by drilling a hole into your trunk floor and run it through there and add a small handle between the heat-shield and the rear valance. that way, if the solenoid fails, you have a back-up.

Andy
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Jan 17 2004, 12:00 AM
Post #5

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

not the best of pics (surprised?), but it'll give you an idea ...

(IMG:http://www.sirandy.com/pix/914/914_010.jpg)
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
bernbomb914
post Jan 17 2004, 12:02 AM
Post #6

one of the oldest Farts on this board

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 36

I have the selonid but I drilled a small hole under the trunk release and ran a cable and handle which I pull if the selonid fails. it hides behind the lic plate.

Bernie
+Quote Post
campbellcj
post Jan 17 2004, 01:29 AM
Post #7

I can't Re Member

Member No.: 21
Region Association: Southern California

I just took the reflector and "GT" tail off my car a while ago, and did a "poor-mans" repair job to patch it up back to stock. (I'm gonna get a composite lid and real spoiler later and keep this steel lid for anything where spoilers aren't allowed). B is right that if the thought of drilling a bunch of holes in the exterior of your car makes you queasy...skip it.
+Quote Post
John2kx
post Jan 17 2004, 06:45 AM
Post #8

Member No.: 1,066

I was up against the same question after installing my reflector. Bought a "brand new" 914 designed solenoid and mount but was not impressed with its operation while bench testing. The cable approach was investigated but I did not pursue it.

After giving more thought in how I use my car, I opted to install neither. Since my rear trunk is only used to store top and the car is rarely left unattended, theft control is not a issue. The trunk is heavy enough to stay put without use of the rear catch.

John
+Quote Post
Van914
post Jan 17 2004, 07:25 AM
Post #9

Van914

Member No.: 90

My car came with the rear reflector when I bought it 16 years ago. It has a cable release that goes to the interior right above the engine cover release. It failed once at the track and I had to break the reflector to get in the trunk. Now I have a back up cable that goes through the trunk floor just in case.
Van
+Quote Post
STL914
post Jan 17 2004, 10:02 AM
Post #10

Member No.: 1,271

Thanks for the replies guys. I bought a cut done 911 reflector with the small drilled hole thru the S on eBay and expect it soon.

Chris, based on your post, do I assume that the push button lock remains as is and this is pushed by the coat hanger thru the small drilled hole to release the latch?

Brad, I realize the need to drill the holes in the back panel. Do you recall what size holes are required? The 72 is pretty prestine for this area of the country, so I may have some concerns about mutilating it.

Andy, thanks for the picture. Is your car Bahia Red? My 72 is and this gives me a good idea how it would look with the reflector installed. How much wouldyou need for the solenoid? I may be interested.
+Quote Post
Neal
post Jan 17 2004, 10:43 AM
Post #11

Member No.: 605

How is the solenoid wired I just got the system and it had a switch and a 2 wires that are attached to the solenoid, one is attached to the solenoid mount and the other is free. What to do ? I would upload a picture but it seems I can't
need to figure that out some day.

Neal
+Quote Post
boxstr
post Jan 17 2004, 11:00 AM
Post #12

MEMBER:PACIFIC NORTHWEST REGION

Member No.: 12
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Gary Good morning. I own 2 914s with rear reflectors. If you really have a pristine car(914) then I personally would not cut,drill,or add anything that was not factory. You can always do that to a project type car. Or one that comes your way(they always do) that you may feel needs to rear reflector.
Six holes I believe they are @12mm, haver to be drilled for the mounting studs. The electric solenoid is what is supplied, but it needs a backup, as others have stated, a cable is the best way to go. The one straight down and behind the rear lic. plate is easy and works great.
CCLINREFLECTORHELL
+Quote Post
Air_Cooled_Nut
post Jan 17 2004, 11:51 AM
Post #13

914 Ronin - 914 owner who lost his 914club.com

Member No.: 584

I installed a cable-released PORSCHE reflector in my first 914 (as described above, release handle is in cabin by engine lid release) and it worked great every time. When drilling for the mounting holes measure about 14 times, then drill once (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

I have all the parts and plan on installing it on my new 914 some day...
+Quote Post
Neal
post Jan 17 2004, 08:38 PM
Post #14

Member No.: 605

has anyone ever thought of putting lights behind the reflector and use it as a 3'rd brake light ?
I think it would be kind of cool and pretty safe at night, you really could not miss the car.
+Quote Post
Kargeek
post Jan 17 2004, 09:05 PM
Post #15

Member No.: 430

At one time I had the cut down 911 reflector on my car, it used four 12" holes to mount. Later, when I removed it, I had to gas hammer weld patches in; you won't find evidence on either side of the panel now. If I really wanted to do it again, I would consider grinding off the mounting tabs flush with the reflector. Go to the body shop supply and buy the heavy duty double sided tape that is used to reinstall emblems and stick and go. Might be better than cutting up the car and you will have the option of changing your mind. DH
+Quote Post
soloracer
post Jan 17 2004, 09:52 PM
Post #16

Member No.: 538

Could a trunk latch like this be used with the reflector?

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads/post-2-1073055461.jpg)
+Quote Post
Air_Cooled_Nut
post Jan 17 2004, 10:18 PM
Post #17

QUOTE(soloracer @ Jan 17 2004, 07:52 PM)
Could a trunk latch like this be used with the reflector?

Nope. The reflector fills the whole space!
+Quote Post
Air_Cooled_Nut
post Jan 17 2004, 10:18 PM
Post #18

QUOTE(Kargeek @ Jan 17 2004, 07:05 PM)
...I would consider grinding off the mounting tabs flush with the reflector. Go to the body shop supply and buy the heavy duty double sided tape that is used to reinstall emblems and stick and go. Might be better than cutting up the car and you will have the option of changing your mind. DH

Damn good idea! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)
+Quote Post
Kargeek
post Jan 17 2004, 11:00 PM
Post #19

Member No.: 430

I also used a thinner tape to fasten the VW-Porsche emblem too. 7odd holes to drill was just too much after filling reflector hones. Stick the tape to the backside of the emblem, exacto knife it's outline, peel and stick.
+Quote Post
Brad Roberts
post Jan 17 2004, 11:05 PM
Post #20

914 Freak!

Member No.: 8

I have a customers car that kept the stock lock in place for opening the trunk. Whomever installed it left the middle two attachment points off the car. This allows the reflector to flex. Push on the center of the reflector and the trunk opens. SLICK. Thieves (besides us now) would never know to open the rear trunk this way so we are not worried about locking the trunk.

B
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th May 2024 - 08:30 PM