Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Heat Exchanger Install, Seeking input and advice
BeatNavy
post Feb 16 2015, 10:39 AM
Post #1

Certified Professional Scapegoat

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,042
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

I have a '73 2056 engine that I had originally intended to put in my project car, but that effort is going to take some time, so my current plan is to swap the 1.7L out of my daily driver with this engine. It came with set of used (but good) SSI heat exchangers. I want to have my feces together as much as possible before doing the engine swap, and having never done the HE's before any advice is welcome. I've tried to do my homework, and here's what I think I've found (what am I missing or assuming incorrectly):

1. I don't have an engine stand. Sounds like it's best to get the engine/tranny in car and then install the HE's.

2. I need to make sure the tops of the HE's are uniform and file them with large file as needed (putting a large piece of wood across them they appear to be uniform, but I don't know what I may be missing).

3. Need install hardware, including copper rings, copper lock nuts, washers, etc. AA sells a "kit" here that I'm tempted to buy even though it doesn't look like such a great deal (IMG:style_emoticons/default/chair.gif)

4. Anneal (or not) the copper rings (sounds like there's two schools of thought on this).

5. Use anti-seize compound

6. Install and tighten to 18 Ft-Lbs and recheck and tighten (as needed) a few days later after driving.

Any thoughts on any of these steps?

I'm trying to go in one fell swoop from a 1.7L with tail-shift to a 2056/side-shift/Triad Exhaust. If I do this correctly it should drive (and sound) quite different.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)

Thanks for the help!
User is online!Profile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th May 2024 - 06:32 PM