Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

35 Pages V « < 29 30 31 32 33 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> PorSTi Project Thread…, Well that was fun, time to make some upgrades!
Amenson
post Aug 21 2017, 06:26 PM
Post #601

That's opposite lock!!

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,154
Region Association: None

QUOTE(914forme @ Aug 19 2017, 09:25 AM) *

PM sent

Not sure how to post pictures in PM so I will add it here... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)
Attached Image
This is the section that we need. Between the headlights including the fogs and horns. Back as far as possible to the fuse box.

Cheers,
Scott
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Aug 21 2017, 08:02 PM
Post #602

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

If Stephen doesn't have it, I can pull it from my parts car.
+Quote Post
914forme
post Aug 22 2017, 12:58 PM
Post #603

Times a wastin', get wrenchin'!

Member No.: 2,388

You could have texted it to me (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post
Amenson
post Aug 22 2017, 02:05 PM
Post #604

That's opposite lock!!

QUOTE(914forme @ Aug 22 2017, 02:58 PM) *

You could have texted it to me (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

I could if I had your number in my new phone. After much enjoyment of my Bosch iPhone I finally dumped my personal Windows phone and got another iPhone. Unfortunately I have not found a way to transfer my contacts between the two platforms yet and I refuse to enter them manually.

...and I kind of wanted to post a before picture of the front harness. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/barf.gif)
+Quote Post
914forme
post Aug 22 2017, 06:32 PM
Post #605

Easiest thing to do is use Outlook to transfer contacts from one to the other. Just need an e-mail system that will allow you to house contacts. You can use a trail version of office365. That will give you a month to get everything transferred. Or outlook.com

I'll look for the harness section and let you know. I need to get to your place anyway. I have a light unit to pickup, and dash parts for Grey to drop off.
+Quote Post
theer
post Aug 23 2017, 10:34 AM
Post #606

Member No.: 19,014
Region Association: North East States

Oh yeah - that harness is for Grey Matter. Great to see the project stirring back to life!
+Quote Post
Amenson
post Aug 24 2017, 12:29 PM
Post #607

That's opposite lock!!

QUOTE(914forme @ Aug 22 2017, 08:32 PM) *

Easiest thing to do is use Outlook to transfer contacts from one to the other. Just need an e-mail system that will allow you to house contacts. You can use a trail version of office365. That will give you a month to get everything transferred. Or outlook.com

I'll look for the harness section and let you know. I need to get to your place anyway. I have a light unit to pickup, and dash parts for Grey to drop off.

Great recommendation for the contacts transfer.

I could visit your place as well but there does not seem to be much progress happening in your shop (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)
+Quote Post
914forme
post Aug 24 2017, 06:40 PM
Post #608

Nope this is the busy season at work, so I am trying heard cats and keeping everyone from (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ar15.gif) for the next couple of weeks.

Lots of stuff going on behind the scenes even though nothing to show for it right now. But I hope to get back on the -6 in a week or so.
+Quote Post
Amenson
post Nov 12 2017, 10:05 PM
Post #609

That's opposite lock!!

Not much going on with the PorSTI lately, I have been focusing on getting Grey Matter together.

I did have a long awaited upgrade to the Cobb Accessport features released.

'05 Sti Flex Fuel
Flex fuel

Why do I want Flex fuel? 350 WHP and 403 WTQ!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4yncQ3GjqmE?t=1m35s

The dyno plot in the video for Stage 2 match my dyno numbers very closely making the E85 numbers believable. There are claims of higher gains on stock turbo/pistons but I plan to keep PorSTI tuned on the conservative side to keep it mindlessly reliable.

The Flex fuel setup used the TGV inputs for the flex fuel and pressure sensor inputs making TGV delete necessary. I was thinking about TGV deletes but really don't like the 3 piece intake manifold so I did some research into "long runner" intake manifolds.

The 2.5i big plenum long runner manifold flows great and is cheap so I picked one up off eBay. I knew ahead of time that the TB mount is in a different location and probably would not fit my current setup. It won't so I found a JDM STI manifold which is long runner with the same TB position as my three piece manifold.

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Plan is was to use the JDM STI intake until I upgrade my turbo and build a rotated intake setup with air/water IC like Grey and then use the 2.5i intake.

I wanted to see how it would look installed so I threw it on Grey's engine...

Attached Image

So much cleaner than the three piece manifold.

Attached Image

Now I am thinking that it would be a waste to hide it under the IC on PorSTI.

Cheers,
Scott
+Quote Post
charliew
post Nov 13 2017, 11:04 AM
Post #610

Advanced Member

Member No.: 7,958

that looks great using the stock turbo location. Just my rambling but if I was planning on a bigger turbo and using the awic and needing to build all new plumbing, you might consider putting the big turbo down in front with the awic above it and then the big plenum intake on. the big intake has a lot of good value, it increases low end torque and of course acts like a capacitor to level out the pressure as the motor uses it, I do like the cob as my son always had only two places to get e85. The only bad thing is all the expense of the bigger fuel lines and injectors and pump to flow the greater volume e85 requires.It took about 26/28 psi with a big turbo, on e85 to get to 500 awhp with his sti on a safe tune. that was on a 98 degree day after driving 90 miles to the dyno. that was with a front mount air ic that we tested with a temp gauge at the throttle body. I am anxious to see your compilation of parts as I have most of them except a big turbo and awic and the plumbing. I will never be able to tig that good I'm afraid.
+Quote Post
914forme
post Nov 13 2017, 11:50 AM
Post #611

Wow how stuff changed since Friday night. I like the Grey market part on Grey it is only fitting.

For PORSTI I agree with Charlie, as you love to weld, and make intricate cuts on your huge bandsaw.

Keep the long runner, put it on PORSTI, TB, then A2WIC in front of that, and then Turbo just off to one side, nice and short plumbing. The header could give you a bit of an issue with your motor mount moving it forward.

In reality do you really need more than what E85 will give you. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) It does make some very nice power, and your car all ready has issues with keeping the power to the ground. I don't think the larger meats out back are going to help you much. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)

+Quote Post
charliew
post Nov 13 2017, 12:05 PM
Post #612

Advanced Member

I agree, also the tranny will work great until the rear traction gets too good. about 400ft lbs is the max on the 5 spd tranny with awd and the heavier wrx body. also a larger turbo takes up a lot of room but will make less heat at higher pressure and more volume.
+Quote Post
Amenson
post Nov 13 2017, 12:30 PM
Post #613

That's opposite lock!!

QUOTE(914forme @ Nov 13 2017, 12:50 PM) *

In reality do you really need more than what E85 will give you. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) It does make some very nice power, and your car all ready has issues with keeping the power to the ground. I don't think the larger meats out back are going to help you much. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)

...no, I probably don't need a bigger turbo, but that really is not the point.

Realistically, a bigger turbo is a ways off because with it comes new pistons, rods, clutch and probably gearbox upgrades.

More likely is that I build the AWIC setup with the current turbo.

Cheers,
Scott
+Quote Post
charliew
post Nov 13 2017, 12:50 PM
Post #614

Advanced Member

Just info I just remembered. I have a flow bench and when we did my sons sti heads we added 1/2 mm larger valves because you can use the factory seats. he has cams that go to .410/.420 lift I think I remember and at full lift the intake ports flow about 300 cfm each after porting. that's why subys can make that much hp. a 350hp chevy can use 600/700 cfm total. Also he used the tgv's with stock ecm and tuning.
+Quote Post
Amenson
post Feb 20 2018, 09:05 PM
Post #615

That's opposite lock!!

Still not much going on with PorSTI, spending all of my garage time on Grey Matter.

I did get an extra set of hands in the garage but I won't let anyone else work on customer projects so I gave him my new center counsel to play with. I have had the bent blank in the garage for over a year, time to get it in.

Looks pretty good and the shifter is exactly where I want it.
Attached Image

Attached Image

Took all of the guts from the MR2 shifter rotated them 180 to even out the cable attachment points and mounted them in the center console.

Attached Image

Made a new shaft.

Attached Image

Getting the cables up through the console will be quite involved so I will do that myself eventually.

Other than that just, accumulating parts so that I can hit it hard when it is on the working side of the shop again.
+Quote Post
Amenson
post Mar 14 2018, 03:59 PM
Post #616

That's opposite lock!!

With all of the time in the garage working on Grey I get to see PorSTI quite a bit and I have been thinking about what to do aesthetically with the car. I really like orange and am leaning toward Tangerine for the main color with black or dark grey brightwork. Also considering some modest graphics with a period racing feel. Primary candidate has been something on the rear upper corner of the front fenders. I really like the Heuer decal but don't have one in my modest watch collection...so I felt it would be a bit poserish. The pegasus is my second choice.

Not any more! I was browsing for random watches for sale and scored a late 60's Heuer stopwatch.

Attached Image

The same one commonly mounted on the dashes of race cars. I have a dash mount on the way! Now I can do the Heuer decal.
+Quote Post
Amenson
post Apr 30 2018, 09:29 PM
Post #617

That's opposite lock!!

My yearly week of shenanigans with my car buddies is quickly approaching. I was working to get Grey on the road prior to getting back to my own project but endless details made that impossible. I proposed to Tom to take a few weeks to focus on Porsti and he graciously agreed for Grey to sit on the sidelines. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/pray.gif)

On with progress.

My Father is again planning to join the trip this year as he was last year until rust and the sins of the PO resulted in the complete removal of the fenders. He is quite experienced with car projects and agreed to come down with my Mom to give me a head start on this year's push to drivability. Over 4 days we probably put in 50 hours of solid work, Mom even helped! The goal was to get the rear fenders bonded on but ended up just a bit short but took the opportunity while we had access to fix a few other issues.

Lots of smoothing of welds from previous repairs and the never ending removal of undercoating and paint.
Attached Image

One of the unexpected repairs was a rusted out drivers side latch bracket.
Attached Image

Would have been easy to order one from Restoration Design but no time for that so cut/weld.
Attached Image

Still fits. You can also see several unneeded holes that we welded shut.
Attached Image

The patch panels that I picked up for the project were really nice but had a couple of soft spots that needed to be repaired. Just a few angles here to sort out.
Attached Image

Turned out pretty well.
Attached Image

Panel fitted and a patch at the top of the door latch relief formed from flat. That took almost 2 hours! My Father asked if I was gong to make a career out of that piece.
Attached Image

Two areas on the driver side need small patches along with complete replacement of the bottom. Part was make from a Restoration design panel and the rest formed from the bottom of another fender. Also cut out and repaired what was left of a rusted out jack pad. No pictures but it is slightly visible.
Attached Image

Such an insane amount of work just to get solid medal to bond the fiberglass fenders to. I have another 4 day weekend scheduled for this weekend. Should be able to finish up the rear and get the fenders boned on. Front is next. Full steam ahead.
+Quote Post
914forme
post May 1 2018, 08:51 AM
Post #618

Great Progress
+Quote Post
mepstein
post May 1 2018, 09:14 AM
Post #619

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(Amenson @ Mar 14 2018, 05:59 PM) *

With all of the time in the garage working on Grey I get to see PorSTI quite a bit and I have been thinking about what to do aesthetically with the car. I really like orange and am leaning toward Tangerine for the main color with black or dark grey brightwork. Also considering some modest graphics with a period racing feel. Primary candidate has been something on the rear upper corner of the front fenders. I really like the Heuer decal but don't have one in my modest watch collection...so I felt it would be a bit poserish. The pegasus is my second choice.

Not any more! I was browsing for random watches for sale and scored a late 60's Heuer stopwatch.

Attached Image

The same one commonly mounted on the dashes of race cars. I have a dash mount on the way! Now I can do the Heuer decal.

Im trying my best not to pick up the watch hobby but that’s a cool piece.
+Quote Post
charliew
post May 1 2018, 10:10 AM
Post #620

Advanced Member

boy that damn foam really causes a lot of hours of work. that's where I found the first rust throughs on my 75 around the air vent. I'm afraid to dig around the rear corners.. At least you know it will last a lot longer in those areas this time around. Have you mentioned if you will leave the flex joint at the top rear of the front fenders? I guess your dad is going with you on the power tour?

I collect pocket watches mostly hunter style. I have a screw that is about 1/8 the size of a flea. It is so small I thought it was dirt in the envelope it was sent in. It is supposed to be a screw that holds a jewel in, in a very small 21j pendant type ladies watch. I just found a 1944 Waltham navigation watch in the box dated oct 44. It still has a cloth pouch on it in the box. Kinda different from my other watches but it is a Waltham 18 size. the paper tag on the outside shows the mil spec and it is also on the back of the watch. It came from philidelphia pa. but who knows how many folks have been caring for it over the years. It is one month younger than me but in perfect shape unlike me. I need to reglue the paper label back down on the box on it's corners but I'm worried I will screw it up.
+Quote Post

35 Pages V « < 29 30 31 32 33 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 3rd June 2024 - 02:28 AM