Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

5 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> starting the tube V8 car, no turning back now
byndbad914
post Mar 21 2006, 07:49 PM
Post #41

shoehorn and some butter - it fits

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,463
Region Association: None

QUOTE (Bigbohr @ Mar 21 2006, 05:09 PM)
... free to invert ... is what i thought too. Until I looked at prices for a dry sump pump, pan and reservoir  :wacko: Seems nearly the same total cost as having the ring gear flipped (I thought that was about $1200). What are you using for oil pump? Did you find anything for a reasonable price?
John

I got a used 3-stage pan for $100 and nice used tank for $150. The pumps you can buy refurbed 3 or 4 stage (which is completely fine btw) for around $600-$700 IIRC, but don't quote me on that or where to get it. I would just check around with some of the pump suppliers as sometimes they have these for sale. I have a good hookup on race parts, so I can get my 4-stage pump new pretty cheap (can't say price of course). I haven't gotten mine yet, but will be going with a Stock Car Products pump. I just need to basically call one day in advance when I will be in the Brea area and pick it up. Even without discounts, I would recommend the SCP pumps for reliability and price - used a few on NASCAR stuff for years and work great.

Anyway, with the billet remote oil filter adapter (I will be using the System 1 HP-6 mondo filter), billet adapter plate in the block (both from Barnes in Torrance, CA - good price is paying cash and will call it) and all the plumbing, I would say $1200 is right in there. HOWEVER, the cost of a used pan and tank could be a wash with whatever pan you might be buying for your car if the pan is new (?)

So, if it is equal cost to do either, I would still dry sump and lower the engine (and always know I have an awesome oiling system in the car). The lower cg will help a ton. I think the machining quotes I got were in the $1500 range for the 930, but then it is apart, so good time to replace synchros and carrier bearings and so forth... $3K pretty quick. Shoulda been clearer in my earlier post.

Of course, that all applies to tracking the car IMO. For a streeter/hot rod kinda setup with a mild 350 and so forth, I would have so much less in the engine and so forth I would invert and rebuild the trans for $3K and be able to use off the shelf adapter bars, cable shifters, etc. Also, may be hard to have room for the lower crank drive "mandrel" with a stock firewall in the car... keep that in mind because that is why I originally went wet sump.

BTW to Andy, Paul and so forth.. thanks for the votes of confidence! (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/beerchug.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
byndbad914
post Mar 23 2006, 12:41 PM
Post #42

here is a shot of the upper hoop - kinda hard to see with the lighting, but the flash looked like crap. Still can't seem to get an image that isn't a little blurry with my digital camera. Twitchy sucker...

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
byndbad914
post Mar 23 2006, 12:43 PM
Post #43

better shot with engine and so forth - will be a rather menacing air cleaner in the rearview mirror! Notice how far forward the engine has come and the mandrel intrusion - custom firewall was needed for sure!

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
byndbad914
post Mar 23 2006, 12:45 PM
Post #44

and an overall shot from the rear - AJ will start laying out the rear over the next few days and hopes to have that all in place by this Saturday. The rearward main bars will drop a little and the engine will go down a bit too (just sitting on some wood blocks right now that are a bit taller than the final install will be).

So, apparently Andy gets a lot of crap about his pics being blurry - I think I am going to be taking some of that heat for him!

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Brett W
post Mar 23 2006, 09:26 PM
Post #45

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,169

Check the condition of the batteries in your camera. Some cameras will have a problem taking clear pictures if the batteries are on the way out.

What bolt pattern are your wheels? You may have some luck using the ZR2 hubs for your rear uprights.
+Quote Post
byndbad914
post Mar 23 2006, 09:38 PM
Post #46

hmmm Brett, thanks for the tip on the batteries - the little battery light was blinking last night and I was trying to "beat the clock" and I didn't correlate that low batteries could cause that problem.

The current wheels have 2 patterns - 5 on 5 and 5 on 4-1/2. The Bassetts I want to get are available in both, so I am trying to decide on what pattern I want to make adapters (5 on 130mm doesn't quite match 5 on 5 so I am worried about breaking a stud if I keep it that way).

5 on 4-1/2 would open up a much larger range of aftermarket wheel selections since it's a standard Ford pattern...
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Mar 23 2006, 10:14 PM
Post #47

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172
Region Association: Northern California

Also, take pictures with flash, or get a tripod.

Flash will take it, but if you cant get the light without reflecting, the camera needs to be still.. Whenever we go to shows, we put the camera on the tripod, and only have one leg of it out.. then we can take quick pics.
+Quote Post
Brett W
post Mar 24 2006, 08:03 AM
Post #48

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,169

The ZR2 Blazer is a 5x5 pattern which will allow you to use NASCAR wheels as well as any of the GT1 16 in alloys, plus any of the Vette, Camaro and other GM wheels.
+Quote Post
yarin
post Mar 24 2006, 10:13 AM
Post #49

'14-X'in FOOL

Member No.: 693
Region Association: North East States

Dude, you are building a car around an engine. I love it!! (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smilie_pokal.gif)
+Quote Post
byndbad914
post Mar 24 2006, 04:06 PM
Post #50

QUOTE (yarin @ Mar 24 2006, 08:13 AM)
Dude, you are building a car around an engine. I love it!!  :trophy:

you hit it right on the head! That is exactly how I described it to AJ (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif)

When I was about 13-14yrs old, my uncle who was into Hot Rods (kinda where I got it from) thought I was nuts and told me "you're the kinda kid that would bolt a Big Block to a skateboard" and it sorta stuck with me. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/cool.gif)

Andy - I have tried flash and tend to get "wash" in my pix (it that makes any sense) - it is too bright. Then I would have to learn how to use my camera to actually mess with the shutter timing and such. The shots you are seeing are actually at night in an "OK" lit shop - so you can see the camera will flood a lot of light into the photos already.

I think it is the batteries since the last two times are the only times I have had this blurry issue, and the batteries were starting to flash that first time and was flashing the whole time Wed night. I will get new batteries today to have for tomorrow's update at the shop and the CFOS.

Brett - I will google those uprights and sheck 'em out. Thanks for the tip. (EDIT) actually do you have a good link to check them out a bit online? I googled and didn't know what a ZR2 was - apparently I get ads for a bizillion (not just a million billion, a bizillion!) Blazers.
+Quote Post
Aaron Cox
post Mar 24 2006, 04:15 PM
Post #51

Professional Lawn Dart

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 219
Region Association: Southern California

you are insane!
+Quote Post
byndbad914
post Mar 27 2006, 01:52 PM
Post #52

and now for the weekend update... overall rear iso shot. AJ lowered the rearward tubes, curved the bottom reinforcement upward to even out the look per my request (you can see a very "squared off" lower last update.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
byndbad914
post Mar 27 2006, 01:56 PM
Post #53

Jane you ignorant... anyway, here is the sprint car header I was using before - except now it looks custom made for the car. That was somewhat arbitrary, the tubes gotsta be where the tubes gotsta be, but the header looks great IMO.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
byndbad914
post Mar 27 2006, 01:58 PM
Post #54

tailpiece will be flanged to allow removal to get engine and trans out from the top. Tacked for now as a placeholder.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
andys
post Mar 27 2006, 02:20 PM
Post #55

Advanced Member

Member No.: 721

QUOTE (byndbad914 @ Mar 27 2006, 11:56 AM)
Jane you ignorant... anyway, here is the sprint car header I was using before - except now it looks custom made for the car. That was somewhat arbitrary, the tubes gotsta be where the tubes gotsta be, but the header looks great IMO.

What brand of sprintcar headers are those; Schoenfled? Did you make any mod's to them? The catalog pictures look like they'd fit a 914V8 very well, and they are reasonably priced.

Andys

+Quote Post
Root_Werks
post Mar 27 2006, 02:30 PM
Post #56

Village Idiot

Member No.: 2,105
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Looks great! (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/welder.gif)
+Quote Post
turbo914v8
post Mar 27 2006, 03:02 PM
Post #57

Member No.: 952

It's nice to see my dream car being built right before my eyes. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/wub.gif) Too bad it not mine (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/sad.gif) (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/wink.gif) (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
byndbad914
post Mar 27 2006, 03:48 PM
Post #58

QUOTE (andys @ Mar 27 2006, 12:20 PM)
QUOTE (byndbad914 @ Mar 27 2006, 11:56 AM)
Jane you ignorant...  anyway, here is the sprint car header I was using before - except now it looks custom made for the car.  That was somewhat arbitrary, the tubes gotsta be where the tubes gotsta be, but the header looks great IMO.

What brand of sprintcar headers are those; Schoenfled? Did you make any mod's to them? The catalog pictures look like they'd fit a 914V8 very well, and they are reasonably priced.

Andys

Actually I did have them modified a bit when I bought them... here is the description.

They are Schoenfeld headers for a SBC sprint car
When I got them, they hit the inside mount point ("dog ear") where the stock trailing arm is. Turns out, they gave me some bad info over the phone on dimensions. So, I sent them back and had them cut 1" off the front and 1-1/2" off the rear. You take more off the rear to make them mount parallel - turns out for a sprint car, they angle the end out a bit to follow the frame. Don't want/need that for a 914. Cost me and extra $100 to Schoenfeld for the custom work. In the end though, they are much, much nicer looking than any "shorty with a 180 bend back over the rear axles" setup I have seen on the market.

Nice thing about sprinter headers are they have a very short "drop" to them so they go right under the rear axles but don't drag on the ground. You just slip mount 3-1/2" mufflers right over the secondary and they are flush with the back of the car. Kinda loud though open header (depends a bit on engine of course; mine hits pretty hard). The mufflers I have are very high flow and actually do an incredible job of sound reduction to my surprise, so I highly recommend them. A more streetable 350 would probably sound awesome without being insanely loud.
+Quote Post
BIGKAT_83
post Mar 27 2006, 05:01 PM
Post #59

Member No.: 194
Region Association: South East States

I also used Schoenfeld headers. I used model #151 these are shorter than yours collector ends about 6" before the axle and tuck in tighter to the engine.
I've got 1 5/8"primary tubes with a 3" collector. All I had to do was have a muffler shop put 2 bends in a short pipe to mount the mufflers.

I put these on after using some block hugger shorty headers. After installing the full length Schoenfeld headers my engine came alive.

Tube frame is looking GREAT...............................

Bob
+Quote Post
Mike T
post Mar 27 2006, 05:11 PM
Post #60

can't 'member

Member No.: 161

QUOTE (turbo914v8 @ Mar 27 2006, 01:02 PM)
It's nice to see my dream car being built right before my eyes.  :wub: Too bad it not mine (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/sad.gif)  ;)  :D

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/agree.gif)

That looks amazing. Great work... (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/popcorn[1].gif)

Mike T
+Quote Post

5 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 8th June 2024 - 06:53 AM