Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

9 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Nader's Nightmare...and mine too build thread, 4/6/14 Update.
914coop
post Nov 6 2011, 05:05 PM
Post #21

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,514
Region Association: Northstar Region

QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Nov 6 2011, 08:22 AM) *

If you going to run the YH rochester carb spirited driving you will experience flooding and there is a simple vent trick to alleviate it.
I had to do it on mine when I autocrossed it when I was 16. I think it is in the how to hotrod your corviar book.

Yea that is also all over the web.
Going to avoid that by converting the turbo to a blow through system. Two 1960 signal barrel carbs with large jets. This will allow me to add alcohol injection and/0r waste gate if we have trouble with detonation.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
carr914
post Nov 6 2011, 06:12 PM
Post #22

Racer from Birth
****************************************************************************************************

Member No.: 1,623
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(914coop @ Nov 5 2011, 11:00 AM) *

Thanks T.C. for the nickname.

We found 255x60x15 to go on the 15x9 rims that came with the car. Well with that sized rubber and rim Rick had to add almost 2" to the rear flare's. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sawzall-smiley.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Glad you found some rubber for those wheels.

I've seen widen flares done before but not quite like that. But Rick knows what he is doing (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welder.gif) Good to have it at somebodies shop that loves 914s (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/red914.jpg)
+Quote Post
914coop
post Nov 6 2011, 10:17 PM
Post #23

QUOTE(carr914 @ Nov 6 2011, 04:12 PM) *

Glad you found some rubber for those wheels.

Yea Dan is, Me not so sure.

Was up at Area 51 Werks today and it is looking great, however it is causing a lot of extra work for Rick.

As far as I am concerned he is a artist, if I tried that, the flare's would be scrap metal.
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Nov 6 2011, 11:00 PM
Post #24

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Member No.: 43

Irv and Dan were here today. We worked on the engine mounts. They were not in very well so we fixed them. We also fixed an inside door handle. I managed to get another 2 hours forming the rear side of the flare. The forward half needs forming and finishing with my bumping tools and file but the rear half is getting close.

Attached Image
Attached Image
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
SUNAB914
post Nov 7 2011, 09:21 AM
Post #25

Member No.: 9,880
Region Association: South East States

Wow Coop, that thing has one fat ass! keep posting pics.
+Quote Post
914coop
post Nov 7 2011, 07:06 PM
Post #26

Looking very nice Rick!
+Quote Post
914coop
post Nov 7 2011, 07:29 PM
Post #27

QUOTE(SUNAB914 @ Nov 7 2011, 07:21 AM) *

Wow Coop, that thinghone at ass! keep posting pics.

Wide says I don't have one of those......
Maybe I am subconsciously over compensating to fill that void.

Darn That's right, Dan bought the tires so there goes that excuse.
+Quote Post
Drums66
post Nov 8 2011, 05:47 PM
Post #28

914 Rudiments

Member No.: 151
Region Association: Southwest Region

.......Ya, the Corsa turbo shits & gits.....but.
there is a problem with flooding?? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif) (especially on cold start-up)
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/bye1.gif)
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Nov 12 2011, 02:10 PM
Post #29

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Starting to shrink the extra metal from reversing the shape of the flare to stretch it out.

Attached Image

Tigging up the little pin holes left from stitching the flares on with the mig. some are so small you can only see them with a light shining from the back.

Attached Image

Oh, forgot to tell yous guys, I bought a tig... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Attached Image
+Quote Post
914coop
post Nov 15 2011, 12:14 AM
Post #30

Dan and myself where up to Area 51 Weeks Sunday. Dan took some pictures of the flare Rick has been working on, beautiful work!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/first.gif) A lot smoother then I could have imagined.
(IMG:http://i3%20:first:%2084.photobucket.com/albums/oo284/ijcjr40/74%20914/IMAG0109.jpg)
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i384.photobucket.com-9514-1321337646.1.jpg)

We also lowered the front suspension so the fronts can be fitted property.

Also installed the Getty dash. Unfortunitly we misplaced the gauge face plate (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) , so no pictures with the gauges at this time.
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i384.photobucket.com-9514-1321337646.2.jpg)
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i384.photobucket.com-9514-1321337646.3.jpg)
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i384.photobucket.com-9514-1321337646.4.jpg)
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i384.photobucket.com-9514-1321337647.5.jpg)

Last pieces to get the engine together are supposed to arrive this weekend, my fingers are crossed as I wait. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)
+Quote Post
914coop
post Nov 20 2011, 03:59 PM
Post #31

Engine pieces are shipped and should be here by Wednesday. In preparation I have installed the reverse rotation pieces. Hoping to have the engine together by the end of next weekend.
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Nov 20 2011, 06:18 PM
Post #32

Hey nice rack! -Celette

QUOTE(914coop @ Nov 20 2011, 03:59 PM) *

Engine pieces are shipped and should be here by Wednesday. In preparation I have installed the reverse rotation pieces. Hoping to have the engine together by the end of next weekend.

Cool! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rocking nana.gif) Just came in to eat. I'm out working on the right rear flare. I'll post photos late tonight.
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Nov 20 2011, 08:26 PM
Post #33

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Ran out of wire for my mig and gas for my tig so I'm done for the day. Got the right flare laid out and tacked.

Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
+Quote Post
914coop
post Nov 21 2011, 12:08 PM
Post #34

Looking great Rick! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/thumb3d.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/thumb3d.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/thumb3d.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/pray.gif)

Irv
+Quote Post
914coop
post Dec 5 2011, 09:00 PM
Post #35

Engine parts arrived last Tuesday (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) , although it was 6 days from when I expected them. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

Worked on it this weekend got the cam, crank and case together
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i384.photobucket.com-9514-1323140442.1.jpg)

Project came to a stop with the next step. Had to put the wrist pin in. Heated the rod end as I was told to do, wrist pin was supposed to slide right in, it didn't. I then I went the other direction. Picked up dry ice. Wrist pin slid through the rod and stopping before exiting the other side.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i384.photobucket.com-9514-1323140442.2.jpg)

Have a 6 ton press, however since I have never did wrist pins, I can only see bad things happening. So off to local engine rebuilder to get this done.

Irv
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Dec 5 2011, 10:27 PM
Post #36

Hey nice rack! -Celette

QUOTE(914coop @ Dec 5 2011, 09:00 PM) *

Engine parts arrived last Tuesday (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) , although it was 6 days from when I expected them. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

Worked on it this weekend got the cam, crank and case together
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i384.photobucket.com-9514-1323140442.1.jpg)

Project came to a stop with the next step. Had to put the wrist pin in. Heated the rod end as I was told to do, wrist pin was supposed to slide right in, it didn't. I then I went the other direction. Picked up dry ice. Wrist pin slid through the rod and stopping before exiting the other side.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i384.photobucket.com-9514-1323140442.2.jpg)

Have a 6 ton press, however since I have never did wrist pins, I can only see bad things happening. So off to local engine rebuilder to get this done.

Irv

Yes, bring them to someone that does that lots! I took a break from welding to put up some shelving, get my engines sorted and stored under the work bench and get Sandy's 914 running. Welding starts again this week. Nice to see you finally got your engine parts. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
914coop
post Dec 11 2011, 03:04 PM
Post #37

Well got the pistons and rods back Friday. Got rings on yesterday was trying to install them in the Cylinders. Will not go in (IMG:style_emoticons/default/WTF.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif) , stopped to think about it.

This morning I removed the rings and check fit. Can barely see light through the gap. Should be .007 to .040. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

Need to take the cylinders in to take a bit more off.

Can't seem to catch a break!!!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Dec 11 2011, 03:48 PM
Post #38

Hey nice rack! -Celette

QUOTE(914coop @ Dec 11 2011, 03:04 PM) *

Well got the pistons and rods back Friday. Got rings on yesterday was trying to install them in the Cylinders. Will not go in (IMG:style_emoticons/default/WTF.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif) , stopped to think about it.

This morning I removed the rings and check fit. Can barely see light through the gap. Should be .007 to .040. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

Be sure to check the spec for the piston to wall clearance. If your piston to cylinder wall clearance is good you just need to file the ring end gaps.

I have been cutting and welding for two days. I'll post photos later. The right rear flare is tacked and fitted. Just need to weld it up and work the puckers out of the stamping on the flares.
+Quote Post
914coop
post Dec 11 2011, 07:08 PM
Post #39

QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Dec 11 2011, 01:48 PM) *

QUOTE(914coop @ Dec 11 2011, 03:04 PM) *

Be sure to check the spec for the piston to wall clearance. If your piston to cylinder wall clearance is good you just need to file the ring end gaps.

I have been cutting and welding for two days. I'll post photos later. The right rear flare is tacked and fitted. Just need to weld it up and work the puckers out of the stamping on the flares.

Yep did that, thats why the cylinders are going in. Close but a little to small. Figure a hone will do it, but will leave that up to the professionals to decide whats best.

Bringing piston and rings in so there is no question
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Dec 12 2011, 12:04 AM
Post #40

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Lots of bumping and grinding yet but here's a couple hard days stretching, welding and filing.

Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
+Quote Post

9 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st June 2024 - 06:06 AM